It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

dow dropping 250 pts 1 min after opening

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 12:27 AM
link   
I hope it keeps going down!!!! I took my money and put it into a brokerage about 5 months ago, I am now sitting on it and will continue to sit on it till around election time. Does anyone else see a direct tie with the media and the gloomy out look on our economy? I dunno I kinda am starting to beleive that this is linked to the up coming election. I dunno call me crazy but here in about two weeks I am pulling the trigger and unloading all my money into financial and some other beat up stocks that do not deserve it. I would like to say before anyone else makes a move on my motion that I am a big risk taker I always have invested that way. That and I have made alotta lotta money from the market and I am only 28 so I am able to take these kinda risks and recover before retirement. Please do not invest off this info, is what I am getting at to those unable to read between the lines!

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 12:34 AM
link   
Sorry after reading all this let me clue you all in we want a small drop in other markets in the world it will help our currency and we need huge help with the Feds opening up the money valves at any person saying the market is in trouble. What a great idea taking our dollar off the gold standard back in the early 70's did those idiots not see this could happen. With gold backing our dollar other countries couldn't manipulate our currency to no end. I swear I think that Washington has no plan for the future at all everything is in the here and now. Insane isn't it?

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 03:10 AM
link   
Alright its a new morning! New day. Its was a idle day on the asian markets. down but nothing too alarming.

But the European markets opened up and rallied to about +2.5% and now are selling off and are starting to level off at even. So wait and see what happens in Europe. What happens there will likely set up what we will see here in the US markets.

I am thinking the Europe markets will have a down day. sellign before the US market opens. and we will have a large gap down open. But i think first they need to burn through the rate cut in Australia. But im wondering if all these efforts will hold the market up. I think we might see a lot of rate cute from different markets this morning. Which is only delaying the inevitable.

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 03:16 AM
link   
reply to post by ghostlandseller

US futures are +80 right now. They were +175 earlier. At least it isn't -275 like it was last night. So as of now, it looks like today will be a better day than yesterday. Let's hope.

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 03:32 AM
link   
Now the DOW is down now down 50-75...its moving quickly in between there. But the banking sector in Europe is not looking good so fa but it loosk like its leveling out right now. But we might wind up with a big gap down again at open but im sure thigns will move so rapidly once the US market opens that it wont really make a difference come an hour after the opening bell.

. Its hard to say though what might happen after yesterday. Things are just going on pure investor emotions and its about impossible to predict any momentum.

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 03:42 AM
link   
I think the news of RBS's demise will spook US investors this morning and we'll see another run on financials. It's all psychological and since we all seem to be up and watching the markets at 4AM I guess we're falling for it too..

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 05:20 AM
link   
It's like how they can drop the gas prices by a quarter after raising them by 2-3 dollars and people say "wow, gas prices are down, whoopee!". Anything looks better than the biggest fail since the 1930's, I guess.

It takes a lot of warm bodies and silicon to manipulate the world markets and I'm betting for the immediate future we'll see the misery bounce around between the various national and regional index leaders. They have to rock that sucker back and forth to get the whole thing to fall over, after all.

This is NOT just about manipulating the election. This is the big push for the New World Order, our only hope is they fail in a big, public way due to the rush they're in. They are out of time, after all. The simulations told them it's now or never and based on reactions we're very, very close to seeing them expose themselves and the herds of breeders / eaters having a global awakening.

Everyone feel free to stay optimistic and stay out of the lines at the grocery store and gun show, by all means. I still have some shopping to do. Unfortunately I live in a prosperous area and last night the stores were packed by a lot of very worried people buying a lot of dry and canned goods.....

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 05:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by nfotech
It's like how they can drop the gas prices by a quarter after raising them by 2-3 dollars and people say "wow, gas prices are down, whoopee!".

Last night as I was signing over my first kid and the deed to my house to fill the Pontiac, I got the notion of how interesting it was that the price of gas has gotten lost in all of this . . . if you look at the last time oil was in the $90 range, gas was under $3 per gallon. Funny we haven't heard anything about oil company profits in a while after several consecutive quarters of record profits.

Gas is still siphoning $3.30 to $3.70 a gallon out of our wallets, but we're too focused on the fact the governement will own more than half the houses in the US in the next little while.

What about the 'shortages' in parts of the US that have a growing number of people thinking they too are manufactured for a myriad of reasons?

Oh my GOD . . . there's a gas shortage . . . THAT'S why prices remain [artificially] high . . .

Makes one thinl . . . are the various crisis around the world manufactured to endure GWB, Cheney and those of their ilk maintain the slurping sound of money from our wallets despite the 'trying times' we are apparently now in?

It's a stretch, but it does make you think.

Funny too in that 'bailout' 'rescue' 'revitalization' 'extortion' bill that was passed last week, there was a provision for tax breaks for people cleaning up after the Valez incident in Alaska a handful of years back. If Exxon is raping us for extra profit, why the hell can't they pay for the cleanup?

Things that make you go hmmmmmmmm.

Betcha the markets make a bit of a comeback this morning before another round of profit taking later this afternoon, all serving to perpetuate the myth.

My 'short and curlies' hurt from them being grabbed!!!!!!!

Meanwhile, Richard (Dick . . . really) Fuld says he can't sleep over what happened to Lehman brothers . . . I'll give you 300 million reasons why I think he's full of crap.

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 05:40 AM
link   
The biggest fear is deflation, where no one has any money to buy anything, prices drop like a rock, and investments become worthless. When this happens, a great many people who were rich become poor. If you have some money in a safe place, then you will find that money will go a long ways further than it did in the past. Those who have over leveraged themselves will loose everything.

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 05:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by poet1b
The biggest fear is deflation, where no one has any money to buy anything, prices drop like a rock, and investments become worthless. When this happens, a great many people who were rich become poor. If you have some money in a safe place, then you will find that money will go a long ways further than it did in the past. Those who have over leveraged themselves will loose everything.

In other words . . . those at the lower end of the rich scale could find themselves on the bubble while the richest of the rich continue to get . . . well . . . richer . . .

Sound familiar . . . even the NWO eats their young . . .

Ain't greed a fun thing to watch.

Based on your theory, there might be a continued sell-off in the North American markets this morning as people continue to take money from the teetering market and throw it in safer places so they can remain in the 'big boys club' . . . could get interesting.

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Fox news reported sales of safes are going through the roof. That indicates people are preparing to store cash, gold /silver / misc metals and valuables and if they haven't made a bank run yet they will be....

As others have pointed out, oil prices are dropping but gas prices not only seem to be holding steady but the post Ike shortages have given way to longer and unexplained shortages.

Retailers have been running low on stock here, (grocers and grocery wholesalers, especially the larger ones like Wal-mart, Sams). You can bet they will know when to stop ordering full stock or when to short stock in order to take advantage of "inflation".

Alex Jones isn't my personal favorite source but he made some good points on his Oct 6th show. When the welfare checks stop coming or no longer cover the cost of food there is no telling what kind of chaos might ensue.

My wife is one of those people you would describe as "willingly ignorant", she just doesn't want to believe even though I've been proven right for years now. I've made progress, even brought her around to supporting Ron Paul's campaign. She knows the govt is corrupt and even took the correct position on the bailout with no input from me. She just can't make that leap to believing in the larger conspiracy and the future plans for the NAU, NWO and so on.

The problem is that she doesn't want to prepare. She still believes a hyper inflationary depression can't and won't happen and that basic food prices might become completely unreal. I told her to research past currency collapses - maybe she'll work it in between her TV shows...

Anyway, sorry for the side trip but my point is there are a lot of people out there who range from no clue at all to having the data but just not wanting to compute it. On the bright side, if everyone went into preparation mode the full on bank panic would be underway (if it doesn't go into turbo drive today, which I fear it might) and long term supplies, weapons and ammunition would be rare and expensive in a hurry.

Thank God I talked her into making a trip to the gun store to pick up a semi auto rifle, a hunting rifle and scope, shotgun and a few hand guns. I pray we won't need them but it's better to have them and not need them than to need them and not have them....

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 08:50 AM
link   
Well, so far today, the Dow is starting out strong with ~145 point gains.

Of course, A press release went out before the market opened Fed to Purchase U.S. Commercial Paper to Ease Crunch

Which in turn is causing Treasury Bonds to drop in value
Treasuries Tumble as Fed Agrees to Purchase Commercial Paper

So let's see how today Oct. 7th goes, shall we?

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 08:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by nfotech
Fox news reported sales of safes are going through the roof. That indicates people are preparing to store cash, gold /silver / misc metals and valuables and if they haven't made a bank run yet they will be....

As others have pointed out, oil prices are dropping but gas prices not only seem to be holding steady but the post Ike shortages have given way to longer and unexplained shortages.

Retailers have been running low on stock here, (grocers and grocery wholesalers, especially the larger ones like Wal-mart, Sams). You can bet they will know when to stop ordering full stock or when to short stock in order to take advantage of "inflation".

Alex Jones isn't my personal favorite source but he made some good points on his Oct 6th show. When the welfare checks stop coming or no longer cover the cost of food there is no telling what kind of chaos might ensue.

My wife is one of those people you would describe as "willingly ignorant", she just doesn't want to believe even though I've been proven right for years now. I've made progress, even brought her around to supporting Ron Paul's campaign. She knows the govt is corrupt and even took the correct position on the bailout with no input from me. She just can't make that leap to believing in the larger conspiracy and the future plans for the NAU, NWO and so on.

The problem is that she doesn't want to prepare. She still believes a hyper inflationary depression can't and won't happen and that basic food prices might become completely unreal. I told her to research past currency collapses - maybe she'll work it in between her TV shows...

Anyway, sorry for the side trip but my point is there are a lot of people out there who range from no clue at all to having the data but just not wanting to compute it. On the bright side, if everyone went into preparation mode the full on bank panic would be underway (if it doesn't go into turbo drive today, which I fear it might) and long term supplies, weapons and ammunition would be rare and expensive in a hurry.

Thank God I talked her into making a trip to the gun store to pick up a semi auto rifle, a hunting rifle and scope, shotgun and a few hand guns. I pray we won't need them but it's better to have them and not need them than to need them and not have them....

Your wife sounds like mine, she knows in her heart that all these conspiracy theories I have been telling her about, are starting to become fact. However she still holds on to the cozy feeling that our government are the good guys, that there is nothing sinister going on. Oh well I have done my best to get prepared as well, we have plenty of guns and ammo, and enough food for awhile.

Hopefully things dont get bad, but at this point it doesnt look very good. Things look to be heading up so far in the stock market, the DOW is up 140 right now. They appear to be propping things up in the FED, but how long is that going to help? Isnt it just a banaid on a gaping wound?

I dont know a lot about financial dealings, but wouldnt it be better to let things fail and then let it rebuild? Wouldnt it be better to punish people for bad mistakes rather then buy them out? I would think if they know they are going to be bailed out, they will just keep doing the same thing, and we will have the same problems.

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 09:28 AM
link   
reply to post by dlongwell547

Well, if the people I respect on this subject and my own observations are correct they do plan to bring things to a huge fail. I had a hard time believing they would be able to manipulate us into the NAU and the Amero but now it's all making sense. They have to get us to mentally / emotionally accept the loss of our sovereignty and our almighty dollar. The process I couldn't envision until now is one of exhausting the public. Push a huge, ugly bailout package as the immediate "first" step solution (at least first "media promoted" one, keeping in mind the lead up steps involving interest rate cuts, manipulation of the gold market, F May and F Mack, mergers and acquisitions not to mention billions in soft peddled "liquidity").

By making this a global collapse there is no one there to bail us out, in fact - many of our strategic allies are looking to us to bail them out.

When the 700 billion, quickly expanded to 900 plus another what, 200 or so in pork frosting fails to convince the banks to give credit where can they go? Of course these big banks aren't going to open the credit pipes, they're getting paid not to, getting our tax dollars which they can use to buy up more assets as the other banks and companies collapse thanks to that same credit being unavailable.

Haven't we learned our lesson from the oil companies? We allow them to define the supply and restrict it for profit, (do some research into the disappearance of oil refineries over the past decade).

Now we're playing the same exact idiotic game with these big banks who took over our country long ago and won't rest until they own and control everything. You wouldn't believe how excessively wealthy the federal reserve banks are. The most over the top oil sheik or even Kings of history don't even compare to these "people". Most of us can't even comprehend just how much wealth and power they have.

So it's clearly going to get bad, very, very bad. Everything I've read and researched clearly shows this to be an intentional disaster, an economic inside job intended to consolidate wealth and power while taking the NWO up a few more steps to completion. It's a very dangerous game they're playing, however. It's pretty much now or never so they're going for it - the real question and the real answer no prophets or web bots seem to be able to answer is will they succeed or will humanity finally manage to be free?

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Well, October 7 here, markets still down but seem to be trying to "rally"

Dow -28.75 -0.29% 9,926.75
NASDAQ -15.19 -0.82% 1,847.77
S&P -4.78 -0.45% 1,052.11

Hong Kong, Japan, Belgium, Europe, Germany, Netherlands, Norway, Sweden, UK, Americas still seem to be down.

Global markets thrash
Europe flat, Nikkei sinks, Aussie stocks rise, Iceland moves to shore up its economy.

Russia's two main stock exchanges -- the RTS and MICEX -- reopened several hours late on Tuesday, a day after suffering steep plunges.

money.cnn.com...

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 11:35 AM
link   
The rally seems to be losing steam . . . down about 120 at 12:30 p.m.

Doesn't seem to be anything 'good' for them to latch on to, rather the swinging back and forth today shows a general lack of direction that could spell sell off toward the end of the day.

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Im no expert on these things, but this has been dropping all day, how bad is this?

Dow 9458 -497.56

And falling.

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Final verdict was 9447.11, down -508.39.

I was watching CNBC when Bernanke came on for his interview. From the moment he started talking the Dow started falling. Methinks Wall st. has lost faith in Helicopter Ben.

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 03:32 PM
link   
money.cnn.com...

Looks like Mr. Jones is taking a hike down the mountain.

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Denied
Im no expert on these things, but this has been dropping all day, how bad is this?

Dow 9458 -497.56

And falling.

How bad is it?

Well, we need to ask the experts . . .
www.forecasts.org...

The "experts" seem to be like 2000 points off the real deal, so we need to ask someone more reliable:

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12 >>

join