It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Starbucks 'wasting 23 million litres of water a day'

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
I can't stand Starbucks coffee. I drink Dunk'n Donuts or WAWA.

Actually - we all really should cut down on our coffee drinking.
It causes kidney stones. If you have ever had one or more
(I have!!) it's a VERY good incentive not to drink as much coffee.

I sure have cut back.

Coffee in itself does not cause Kidney Stones...caffeine without proper hydration does.

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 11:39 AM
link   
ultimately this adds insult to injury....

Can you imagine what all those people dying of thirst would say if they had any idea of what was going on in our 'civilized, developed' countries.

How many people are dying of hunger because they have no rain to grow their crops?

How many litres of water could we, as a whole, send out to those who really need it.

How much would we save by turning that tap off and maybe a few people get a slight somach upset in comparison to the millions of acres of crops that could be grown....

Some people have got their priorities way outta whack.

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 12:42 PM
link   
This falls into my own theory, abuot where is our water going...
of course, it would take a big business or corporation to justy that means..
I had a theory and feeling, our so caleld water shortage, is becuase certain businesses are wiasitng it! Ive specualted on this, for about 2 or 3 years now. WOW what a wasit of water...EPA shuold put restricition uses on them.... to keep germs out of the traps? Thiers non harmful things that can be purchased to clean on a regualr basis..vinegar and baking soda, beng the strognest natural items i can think of.
I NEVER liked starbucks anyway... $4.00 for alarge regualr coffee. that acts like a laxaltifve to me. Their lattas are good though lol. But never liked anyting else form them, and are overpriced.
Imagine that, a greenpeace coffee shop that price gouges

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 01:42 PM
link   
If Im correct, that is equiv to 575 Gallons per store, per day!!!

To put it into more perspective.

WOW? !!!

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 01:58 PM
link   
As a Sbux empoyee I just wanted to clarify a few things.

This tap is tiny and the water pressure is incredibly low. In our store when we have no customers in we turn ours off.

It is left on to rinse off spoons we use to scoop milk foam into our lattes and cappucinos. The water runs over the spoon to stop milk building up on the spoon so you don't get the remains of old milk scooped into your drink.

I don't necessarily agree with thr policy, but I just wanted to clear up any misconceptions people seem to have

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Anonymous ATS

Thanks for your side of the story and at least sharing your experiences with us.

But from millions of other peoples point of view, just turning the tap on when you need to use it and turning back off when you're done is all that is really needed.

By turning the tap off you help towards makig lif a little bit cheaper and better for everyone and may also eventually save a few lives somewhere in the world...

it's a bit like that old saying of how a butterfly flapping its wings on one side of the world creates enough force to make a storm on the other...

Another way to look at that is how a Tsunami builds its wave.

Thanks for saying your bit and why don't you sign up to ATS?
Come join us all.

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by ExtralienAs much as a corporation is seen as an individual, it should be charged and treated as such and stand accused and accept its responsibilities.

Spot on

I don't understand it either that a corporation can have the rights of an individual but doesn't have to have any moral standards

Sickening indeed

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Interesting, everyone has jumped on the "anti-Starbucks" bandwagon. Has anyone actually verified this? Reason I ask is that there are several Starbucks around where I live, and NONE leave their taps open.
Just my humble$.02
;-)

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by buddhasystem
I quite agree. In itself, keeping the water running is not even that effective, considering that water is pretty much always BOILED when preparing the coffee, isn't it?

For one thing, water is not boiled when making coffee. Water should be just below the boiling point to extract maximum flavor and minimum bitterness, from what I understand.

And there are many other uses for water in a Starbucks. The anonymous poster mentioned rinsing spoons, which I hadn't thought about but must be a major issue when you have so many dairy and soy products floating around.

As someone else said, what really concerns me about this story is that Starbucks finds it necessary to take action to prevent dangerous stuff building up in the faucets. What the heck is in our water anyway, that this is a concern? And what does that mean about the water we use at home?

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anonymous ATS

This tap is tiny and the water pressure is incredibly low. In our store when we have no customers in we turn ours off.

It is left on to rinse off spoons we use to scoop milk foam into our lattes and cappucinos. The water runs over the spoon to stop milk building up on the spoon so you don't get the remains of old milk scooped into your drink.

I don't necessarily agree with thr policy, but I just wanted to clear up any misconceptions people seem to have

In larger stores there are several of these "sinks" with the water running. I remember ice cream shops had the same set up for the scoops. In every store I have been in the Tap runs all day continuously. My roommate is a memeber of sbux management and his store is 24hr. This means all three of their sinks run 24hrs a day 7 days a week. One store he worked at was not able to shut the water Tap off so it also ran 24hrs a day 7 days a week even though it was not a 24hr store.

It is a very small stream of water but it still runs all the time.

They waste a lot of stuff at sbux. They still make money though

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 08:57 PM
link   
I used to work for COLDSTONE CREAMERY ice cream shop. They use the same thing. Constantly wasting water. They usually have 2 taps running at the same time all day. This is inhumane.

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 11:39 PM
link   
I too, am a Starbucks employee. I agree that the waste in the company is incredible, but I guess it's like that with any fast food or similar business. But yes, the only tap that runs during operation is a tiny tap used to clean the spoons. It's necessary to wash those things, there's no way around it. I'm not saying there isn't waste, but there are plenty of other places that waste just as much if not more than Starbucks, so I'm not sure why they're being singled out. They do a lot of things the right way, as much as you may hate them.

Hell, I'm also a Mortician in training and I waste more water doing one embalming than I do working at Starbucks all day.. Not to mention the amount of chemicals dumped down the drain INTO the water.

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 11:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Extralien

If they pay their watter bill, like you and me, they have the right to waste as much watter as they want...

Next you will be telling me how long my showers have to be, how many times I can fill my pool, or if I'm even allowed to have a pool, how much watter I can use in my garden...

Pay the bills, use whatever you want, that's the American way...
Don't like it move to Jordan, they are big on watter rationing...

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 01:15 AM
link   
I work in downtown Seattle... does anyone not in the Pacific Northwest have any clue as to how insanely laughable the concept of "boycotting Starbucks" is? If the good folks up here didn't boycott it when Howard Schultz ultimately screwed the city out of the Sonics, they sure as hell aren't going to do it over water the store has bought from the utility company.

On a personal note, I'm addicted to caffiene, completely and absolutely addicted. My main source of that is a venti 6 shot Starbucks double shot nonfat sweetened over ice. I drink at least 2 of them a day as well as a venti iced tea, no water, no sweet, plus a refill every afternoon. There is no place in Seattle outside a Starbucks capible of making the double shot that doesn't taste like crap. Outside of a Teavanna double strong Irish breakfast tea over ice, there is no place in Seattle that makes better iced tea. Call me selfish, call me an eco monster, call me whatever, but I have no intention of going to Uncle Sputchie's Chuckle Hut & Lattes around the corner to pay basically the same price for an inferior bevarage simply because Starbucks decides to leave their tap running all day. Now, if the day ever comes when we start seeing a rival (mom & pop or chain) that pours a shot of Jameson whiskey into my morning coffee for me, then sure... consider Starbucks boycotted, but I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Edit: I just realized this post makes me look like a male coffee diva.

[edit on 7-10-2008 by burdman30ott6]

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 01:19 AM
link   
OK, flame me if you want... but exactly how does one "waste water." Last I checked, water evaporates, it rains, it evaporates again, it rains, etc. Even if it goes down the drain... it then goes to the sewer plant, which either filters it or dumps it into somewhere... only to be either absorbed into the ground or evaporated and then it rains again - to be used again either by vegetation or purified for drinking water yet again. Water recycles itself naturally - and rather quickly too (like hours or days). To me, thowing away plastic bags or cutting down a tree that took 100 years to grow is "wasting" natural resources.

[edit on 7-10-2008 by themamayada]

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 03:04 AM
link   
i work at starbucks myself and well we do leave that tap on. it's for the spoons we use and its to clean them . I sometimes turn it off but it does get pretty gross if you dont leave it on and all the gunk builds up on it. Soo i can see why it IS a health thing,BUT a lot of other places have a similar thing too. i guess since starbucks is a big one they have to call them out on it. I always thought that thing was self recycled water being used again and again.. i guess not damn.

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 03:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Anonymous ATS

Yet this doesn't tally with Starbuck's own explanation that the water is kept running to stop build-up of germs in the tap. If Starbucks are telling the truth, then surely you're breaking their own policy and contravening the health and safety implementation they've put into place.

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 03:48 AM
link   
Would you rather they used dirty spoons, since it appears that this practice is just part of their sanitation? Milk is a breeding ground for salmonella - not a fun day. It would probably be more wasteful if they used disposable spoons.

I'm sure they considered buying a few hundred spoons for each store and running the dishwater constantly, but then were looking at waste from using spoons only once between washings and all the energy and materials wasted to make all those extra spoons. Now you know why you pay $5 for a cup of coffee and a cookie.

BTW - My automatic espresso coffee machine uses pressurized steam that comes out the other side as coffee.

[edit on 7-10-2008 by verylowfrequency]

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 04:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by NorthWolfe CND

If they pay their watter bill, like you and me, they have the right to waste as much watter as they want...

Next you will be telling me how long my showers have to be, how many times I can fill my pool, or if I'm even allowed to have a pool, how much watter I can use in my garden...

Pay the bills, use whatever you want, that's the American way...
Don't like it move to Jordan, they are big on watter rationing...

Great thinking. No wonder the world's in a mess and no wonder so much of the world has an issue with America. Yes, "the American Way".

You might have noticed that this story broke through British media, about a Starbucks shop that was actually in Britain, before the investigating expanded to other Starbucks shops. Not everyone in Britain is completely enthralled with the "American Way" particularly it's based on rhetoric like yours.

Take your own advice, if you don't like it, don't read British news stories, just continue to read American media that is big on your "American Way".

Originally posted by themamayada
OK, flame me if you want... but exactly how does one "waste water." Last I checked, water evaporates, it rains, it evaporates again, it rains, etc. Even if it goes down the drain... it then goes to the sewer plant, which either filters it or dumps it into somewhere... only to be either absorbed into the ground or evaporated and then it rains again - to be used again either by vegetation or purified for drinking water yet again. Water recycles itself naturally - and rather quickly too (like hours or days). To me, thowing away plastic bags or cutting down a tree that took 100 years to grow is "wasting" natural resources.

All that is true. However, as I pointed out in previous posts, this cycle of water collection, treatment and distribution isn't free and it's not natural either, Mother Nature doesn't put the water in my taps and nor does it empty my toilet. This cycle costs money and that cost is a contributory factor to what people pay in water bills. People in this country, generally feel that water bills in this country are too high. At the moment, my water bill is approximately $16 a week and I live alone, have no garden to water and don't even have a washing machine.

There's also the relative sense in that it's fantastically callous to disregard this 'use' of water when so much of the world is struggling to have a real water supply. This isn't just those 'out of sight, out of mind' countries like Africa but 1st world developed countries like Spain who in recent years have had to have water shipped in.

Again, this was originally a British story, so there are some germane British-centric arguments to take into consideration. Water bans over here are practically seasonal despite the ridiculous amounts of rain some areas get; where I live between Manchester and the Pennines, rain and drizzle is the default weather setting. Britain is regularly reminded by various schemes to be frugal when it comes to utilities such as water, so to see this happen in Britain is a bit galling to say the least.

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 04:15 AM
link   
reply to post by themamayada

Read back to previous posts and you'll see it's already explained.

But just to clarify, and as an example;

We consume far more than becomes readily available. Rain water takes time to get down to the 'water table' in the ground. The UK must recycle its drinking water.

The longer ground goes without getting its usual amount of rain soaking through, the longer it takes to replenish the water table.

What with the concrete we plaster all over the ground, this makes the job even harder. Look at all the floods everyone has been getting of late. the water cannot escape fast enough. It has to find other routes.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join