It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Just a quick question on religion

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 02:42 AM
link   
I may get belittled for asking this but here it goes could someone give me the terminology for all the religous stances.
Christian non Christian
beleivers and non beleivers
Im sure you all get the idea I do have my own veiws on religion but thats as far as it goes.

Before someone says it just becuase I dont no the name for the religious stance does not mean I dont understand my own religious beleifs

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 02:51 AM
link   
I'm a spiritualist,you can add that to your list

You've got Muslims,Sihks (I'm sorry if I've spelt that wrong) Jewish,Ahmish,Shintaoist,Buhdist.

Is that what you ment? If so,I hope it's helped,if not,mI'll just go and stand over there>>>>

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 05:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Acidtastic

Im sorry I wasnt claer enough it atheist and all that labelling that I dont have a clue about.
Names and definitions if anyone can

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 05:49 AM
link   
en.wikipedia.org...
www.geocities.com...
these links provide you with the tools to do your own research.
Though I can't understand why you are asking others to do it for you.

[edit on 6-10-2008 by fmcanarney]

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 06:16 AM
link   
reply to post by fmcanarney

Clap clap well done you fool whats wrong in asking for knowledge that people already have. Some people at this site are willing to share the knowledge that they already have, the fact that I am asking for people to share knowledge is in a way research.
Did that post make you good I hope so because your obviously not a very happy person

[edit on 10/6/2008 by mullet35]

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 06:21 AM
link   
The labels are descriptive terms.
Atheist=no God exists
Agnostic=no proof of God
Polytheist=many Gods
Monotheist=one God
Pantheist=God is in all
different religious beliefs fall under one of the categories above.

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 06:27 AM
link   

Here along the Royal Carpet we define religion to be any world view. By this definition, even science is a religion, and thus religion does not mean one must believe in a supernatural being. Since every person has a unique qorld view, we cannot list them all, but here is a list of the common world views that people appear to share:

African-based religions include traditional, tribal, and more modern forms of worship. Some religions include Santeria or Ocha (also known as Voodoo, Ifa, Orisha), Palo Mayombe y Palo Monte, Quimbisa, Voudou, Candomble, Umbanda y Quimbanda, and Shangoism. Click to learn about some of these.

Agnosticism is a belief that neither denies or accepts the existence of one or many gods.

Atheism is a world view which accepts nature without resorting to supernatural explanations, magic, superstition, or beliefs. Information is accepted or rejected based on reason and verifiable observation.

Aztec Native American culture is an ancient as well as a currently practiced religion.

Baha'i religion is one that unifies all the major religions of the world, from Christianity and Islam and Judaism to belief in Sai Baba and Hinduism and Buddhism.

Buddhism was originally primarily an atheist religion but has developed in many places into a religion of worship for its founder, Prince Siddhartha, known as Buddha.

Christianity is the religion that arose from the teachings of Jesus Christ. It has an ancient history from that time and has since diverged into Catholicism and many sects of Protestantism. Currently, Christianity includes Catholicism and various Protestant religions as well as other sects.

Confucianism is founded on the teachings of Kong Fu Zi, or Confucius. This religion originated in China.

Hare Krishna believers believe in the Hindu god Krishna as the single God. The leader of the religion is Swami Prabhupada.

Hinduism is founded on the existence of a single God manifest in hundreds of forms. It is among the most ancient religions, dating back more than 5,000 years.

Islam is among the newest of religions, and arose from the teachings of the prophet Muhammed.

Jainism originated in India.

Judaism's beliefs come from the Old Testament and the Torah. It arose before Christianity and Islam and is characterized by belief in a single God.

Mormonism is called the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. It is a religion based on Christianity which calls for a return to the original principles and values of Jesus Christ.

Paganism is older than many religions. It is characterized by belief in several gods of different characters and human and animal forms. Greek, Roman, and Norse mythology all contain stories of pagan gods.

Peyotism is the largest religion begun, organized, and directed by and for Native Americans.

Sathya Sai Baba is a religious leader who also tries to unify several religions. His predecessor was Shirdi Sai Baba. The faith is based in India but extends over the world.

Satanism denies the power or existence of the Christian God (Old Testament). The name comes from Satan (also known as Lucifer, Belzebub), the archangel thrown down to Hell by God. Considered by believers to be self-worship, Satanists typically do not indulge in sacrifice but instead are guided by a few minimal moral principles.

Scientology is a modern (20th century) religion and way of life incorporating both Eastern and Western views.

Sikhism is a religion of India, the practice of which involves strict adherence to certain principles and practices.

Shintoism is a religion that originated in Japan and is a form of ancestor worship. Find out more.

Taoism is another religion that originated in China. See here.

Unitarian Universalism is a religion born of Jewish and Christian traditions that is open to various religious traditions and is a free faith unbound by strict doctrine. For more see here.

Wicca is the religion of witches and Wiccans. See The Witch's Primer and Paganism above.

Zen is a form of Buddhism (see above). See Zen and Zen Ancestors.

Zoroastrianism arose in Persia and is now practiced in India as well. See Zoroastrianism and alt.religion.zoroastrianism.
reply to post by mullet35

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 06:27 AM
link   
reply to post by fmcanarney

now was that so hard why is it people find more enjoyment in belittling people than helping them

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 06:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by mullet35

Clap clap well done you fool .......

Congratulations mullet35, you just became the first individual I've ever put on "Ignore".
I looked at your profile and you have nothing of interest I ever want to see.

Don't bother posting a reply to me, I won't see it.......

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 06:53 AM
link   
holy s#,that little kid looks just like me when I were a nipper!!!

(((((that kid))))

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 06:54 AM
link   
Would anyone else find these "quick" definitions sufficient?

Atheism: there is no God.
Agnosticism: perhaps God - entirely unknowable.
Deism: there is God - only knowable through experience, no revelation.
Theism: there is God - knowable through experience and revelation.

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 06:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Supercertari
Would anyone else find these "quick" definitions sufficient?

Atheism: there is no God.
Agnosticism: perhaps God - entirely unknowable.
Deism: there is God - only knowable through experience, no revelation.
Theism: there is God - knowable through experience and revelation.

I'd say

it's been done,but that wraps it up nicely

new topics

top topics

join