It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Communication in the event of the unthinkable

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by mopusvindictus
Oh you'll all hear me

I'll be the guy screaming while running in the direction of the nearest mountains

Seriously... what about satellite Internet? Anyone think it would remain viable?

I have looked into this quite a bit. I like the WildBlue system better than Hughesnet.

Here's the problem. In the event of a war that cripples everything, the station that controls the downlink will be out of operation.

You also have a limited problem that the dish placement has to be performed by an "authorized" installer. This can be overcome by minimal training from the system supplier and a few bucks for equipment, if they are willing to train you. It's not rocket science but aiming at the right satellite.

The real question you need to answer is what type of communication do you want to do when the time is bad. A listener or a transmitter.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 10:18 PM
link   
I'll not make a copy/paste of something I just posted in another thread relating to sit X comms, but in the UK, in the event of war/disaster/ or other similar event, the entire cell and landline system (including net) can be put out of use to non-government-registered numbers

The only exception to this is public payphones so make sure you keep a supply of shrapnel in your BoB too!

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 02:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by ModernDystopia
As long as power stays on, the Internet should as well. The Internet is harder to "take down" than you may think, as it was created to even survive nuclear events.

And maybe the military's servers will, but you have a risk of losing internet access just from the direction legislation like "net neutrality" is going, putting internet control (including what websites you are allowed to visit) in the hands of a few big companies, just like everything else.

<< 1   >>

join