It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Energy Independence Data Base

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Ok, I hope this goes well because I feel this si something everyone can benefit from. I know this isn't going to be much yet but I would appreciate to get something started.

Rather than focusing on discussion (Though debating best forms of energy and forms of obtaining and using it is encouraged) I wish for people to begin inputting opportunities, products or methods of moving towards energy independence, the fallowing for examples.

1. Recourse independence
  2. Fuel independence, modifications
  3. Home electricity independence
  4. Food independence
  5. Water independence for those without wells/aquifers
  6. Ways to minimize need for use of money, tuning down the amount you have to purchase from stores to keep living a typical life.

Please feel free to add to this list of ideas, and as everyone begins sharing their knowledge I will update this post with a list of what everyone contributes. Please supply a website supporting and supplying more information, it makes a worlds difference.

THANKYOU
&
CHEERS

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 11:31 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 11:54 PM
link   
Sounds like you're thinking the same thing I started thinking about 5 years ago: screw society.

All across the board, a lot depends on where you live.

For food, whatever you can't manage to grow on your own to feed yourself year-round (would be a lot of food) you'll have to supplement with trapping (preferable to hunting in that it doesn't waste ammo or draw as much attention), fishing, and gathering wild edibles. There is plenty of food naturally abundant (always -- and year round), but the problem is that Americans are so stupid today they would literally starve to death surrounded by it without ever realizing it. During the winter it's harder to find sustenance but still very easy to survive with the right knowledge even if you have completely run out of any other food. Pine needles have 5x the vitamin C per gram as oranges, for example.

Electricity is also dependent on your surroundings. Depending on what you want to use and how often you want to use it (electrical appliance), I can figure out about how much energy you would have to be generating. You'd have to have a whole set-up to make it practical, some meters and probably appliances to convert your DC current to AC to be able to use most common appliances. In my case, I would have to have a crank-generator mounted on a bicycle for most of my power, honestly, and supplement that with sunlight and possibly water if I can afford to built it, mainly because I don't have a lot of money to invest in so many different kinds of generators. Sunlight slowly charges batteries and you would have to leave panels in the Sun all day for a relatively few watt-hours. Solar panels are also still expensive. Water generators can be built to accommodate the strength of the current for not much money and can potentially generate a lot more power. Wind is another possibility.

Water availability is something that you can't really discuss without knowing the location, either.

new topics

join