It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is it possible to write in "None of the above"?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 07:49 PM
link   
I was looking at another post an this came to mind.I remember Jesse Ventura saying something to this effect.It basically states that you showed up to participate,but felt that no candidate was presented that reflects your views on where the country should be heading.I do believe that if this is an option it will send a clear message to the powers that be that they are no longer fooling some of us who want to participate in free and fair elections.It would also reflect that if you were to rely on mainstream press for coverage of potential candidates,you did not even know that other candidates existed.Is this possible?I have never seen the write in portion of an election document,and do not know how this works.I do think that this is a viable form of protest.No one can say you can't complain,and you still do not have to pick between two evils.

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 07:52 PM
link   
reply to post by daeoeste

There are more than just two candidates to choose from. Bob Barr, Chuck Baldwin, Sheila Jackson, etc etc etc.

Do your homework to see who best represents your views. Do not just wait for the media to feed you the answers.

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 07:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Blueracer

I realize this.I am more concened at sending the message,and none really does reflect my views.Nader comes the closest.

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 08:01 PM
link   
I guess you could write that in. People write in Mickey Mouse all the time. In the seventies, the hippies ran a rock and a roll for president.

I haven't seen where to write in a vote yet either, this will be my first time voting

edit: wrong time for rock and roll

[edit on 5/10/08 by wisefoolishness]

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 08:16 PM
link   
reply to post by wisefoolishness

I was thinking "None of the above" would be more serious than "mickey mouse" Both of those seem a little smart aleck,and would be construed that way I am sure.If I was going to put someone irrelevant in there,and is more up my alley politically,I would write in Willie Nelson.I still remember a bumper sticker that my late grandfather had that read,"DON'T BLAME ME,I VOTED FOR WILLIE NELSON" It still makes me laugh.

No,I want these people to hear us loud and clear.The fact that many of the people who would do a good job are ignored,I believe that these things are fixed anyway.If many people did this,I think it would show voter fraud exists in this country.Only if many people participated anyway.I think it would give a reason for people who do not vote to make it to the polls if it was spread widely.

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 08:24 PM
link   
I can't comment on how it works in the US but here in Canada we have the right to count our vote as " not happy with any of the choices " and thats just how its counted , not as a spoiled ballet but as simply not happy with any of the choices .
I am sure that in the US you must be able to do something similar .

Edit to add . This is done not in the booth but face to face with the person or persons working at the place where you go to vote . You would tell them direct that you are not happy with any of the choices and they would count your vote as such . Anything done in the booth as in writing in a different name or something similar would be counted as a spoiled ballet , big difference .

[edit on 5-10-2008 by Max_TO]

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 08:35 PM
link   
That is interesting.I have not heard of anything like that here.I would not trust an attendee to document this "vote of no confidence" I would prefer to write it down to be counted with the rest of the votes.

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 08:45 PM
link   
I've been worried about this since a while back.

No problem people wanted to talk about then....

What if there are no 'write-in' options at the ballot box?

good to see someone is thinking about it.

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 07:09 PM
link   
reply to post by daeoeste

Vote for Nader. It sends a stronger message, because there is a face attached. Saying "None of the above," while noble in concept, will come across looking like a joke and won't make a difference.

Nader has been at the forefront of the alternative political movement for a while. Voting for him sends a strong "anti-two party duopoly" message.

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 08:03 PM
link   
Here in Australia, you are not required to actually vote.

You are, however, required to attend the polling place to have your name marked off. After that its upto you whether you go to the booth and vote or just leave.

CT

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Conspiracy Theorist
Here in Australia, you are not required to actually vote.

You are, however, required to attend the polling place to have your name marked off. After that its upto you whether you go to the booth and vote or just leave.

CT

That's awesome... a good way to ensure the opportunity is not denied.

Or do people take it as a 'chore'? I suspect some in my country would.

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 08:13 PM
link   
In Australia you should register upon turning 18, but you dont have to, if you do you have to turn up at least to the polls otherwise face a fine if not registered you are alright, but there is no need to vote, ive often wondered on what the stats are for the amount of votes counted to the people who actually showed up.
Its a good point and i would like to see that option on the ballots

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 08:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

Or do people take it as a 'chore'? I suspect some in my country would

I cant speak for everyone, but Im suspect this is correct. We only have 2 major political parties to choose from and to be honest, I think they are both as bad as each other.

Its a lose lose situation whoever you vote for.

CT

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 03:41 AM
link   

new topics

top topics

join