It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Singing Revolution

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Most people have probably never heard of the tiny, Eastern European country of Estonia. It’s one of those postage stamp pieces of land that you might memorize for a geography test and then never think of again. However, it was the site of one of the more remarkable events of the 20th century.

In 1987, after nearly 50 years of brutal occupation by first the Soviets, then the Nazis and then the Soviets again, Estonia decided it wanted to be free. The people fought for their freedom not with guns or riots, but with songs. The most unique aspect of Estonia is that everybody sings. The country has more choral singers and ensembles per capita than anywhere else on earth. The Soviets had banned the traditional folksongs, but when it came time to protest, thousands of people flooded the streets brazenly singing. Thus began the Singing Revolution

The Soviets rolled in the tanks and troops, but that only strengthened the resistance. At it’s peak, the protests swelled to 300,000 people singing in four-part harmony. On another occasion, protesters formed a human chain 2 million people long, stretching through Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia.

Well, someone finally decided to make a documentary about the Singing Revolution. Here’s the trailer, which you should watch.

You’re probably wondering why I’m writing all of this (besides it being a great story).YOU can have a revolution without violence.Someone asked in another thread if they were willing to revolt to the current situation in US and in the world.This is just another way of doing it.

Some backround info as well

All the bEST

[edit on 5-10-2008 by rixhell]

[edit on 5-10-2008 by rixhell]

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 07:50 PM
link   
I had never heard of this. But, as an amatuer muscican who realizes the power of music, I can see how this would be a powerful. I could only open it could happen here. And how could the government outlaw the Freedom songs of Woody Guthrie, Pete Seegar, and others, along with our traditional songs.
What an Idea!!!

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 08:18 PM
link   
reply to post by rixhell

Hello rixhell

I have often wondered how powerful it would be if everyone on the planet sang the same note at the same time.

If we can get everyone to have a Guiness on a designated day, surely we could have everyone break into a simple song. Imagine the vibration in the air if everyone broke out into a beautiful song together. I'm not talking "I'd like to buy the world a coke".

Even if it was just MMMMMM. It would be amazing. Good Post.

Peace

join