It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anybody like SKA?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Just wondering.
I know round where I live, aside from my circle of friends (which pretty big, but not MASSIVE), theres a distinct lack of knowledge and appreciation of Ska music.
I don't see why though!! Its so easy to listen to, can make you dance, can make you relax... but best of all its easy to write and play!

Just think... MADNESS, The Specials, Bad Manners.. how can you say no to this kind of stuff?

Not just that, but the kinda underground scene that exists today. Bands like Less Than Jake and Reel Big Fish have gone a tad mainstream, but theres a flourishing ska scene out there, and I'm thinking there must be other people on these forums who appreciate good tunes!!!

And whilst I'm here, I'll whack in a shameless plug to The John Player Specials, my main project...
I'm the trombone guy if you're wondering... and any feedback would be appreciated!
Also, while you're there, check out the friends bit for some other brilliant bands...

and wow, I've just found a smiley that looks a bit like me

Take it easy folks, and keep skankin'

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by selfisolated

You forgot "The Selecter" Rudy is a great song.
My favorite ska song: "Mirror in the Bathroom" by The Beat

Cool thread btw.

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 05:23 PM
link   
reply to post by selfisolated
[mo

Growing up in London

Cheers

[edit on 5-10-2008 by N.B.A.Y.S.O.H]

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Heres Something for some of my Amercian friends who dont get SKA but like the blues/jazz

[edit on 6-10-2008 by N.B.A.Y.S.O.H]

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Greetings OP - I'm a trombone guy too, in fact, I make my living with Brass Instruments, so I guess you could say I'm a pro, or well on my way to becoming one.

Yes I like Ska, not so much punk ska, but good, traditional clean ska really is a great type of music, reggae, dub, etc.... it's all good!

These days I'm really more into Jazz though, I just think that the scope of the improvisation required is much more complex, and it's great to listen to what some of the true masters were able to do over chord changes, or even playing freely.

There is a great modern group called the New York Ska Jazz Ensemble, this is the kind of ska I like the best. You should check them out www.myspace.com/NYSJE I think...

What kind of trombone do you play?

I'm a horn junkie, my pride and joy is a 1958 Conn 5G Valve Trombone, with a custom Copper bell. I also have a 1969 Conn 5G Valve Trombone, a 1956 Conn 10H Silver Plated Slide Trombone, and a Bach 12 made of regular brass.

Other than that, I also have and play a Euphonium, Bass Trumpet, and a Flugelhorn, and I can't forget of course, the Piano....

Tell us a bit about yourself, musical influences, goals, history etc.

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 12:05 AM
link   
I really enjoy any form of ska, though I have a special fondness for punk ska. Reel Big Fish, Catch 22 and Streetlight Manifesto are all excellent bands, and some of my overall favorites.

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 01:41 AM
link   
ive been trying to find some good ska since i was 15.. maybe even younger. anyone remember dance hall crashers.

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 05:42 AM
link   
A link to this is in my signature:

The Specials - Skinhead Moonstomp

The late, great Godfather of Ska:

Laurel Aitken - Skinhead

One of my favourite Ska bands back in 1989

The Hoyknives - Driving Me Mad

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 08:19 AM
link   
Wow! I'm not alone!!

Yeh I've heard of the NYSJE - isn't the brass section of the Slackers somehow connected to that, the sax player or something?
My band (JPS) is more of a reggae-ska style, its nice and relaxing and fits with my, ahem, 'lifestyle' quite well, if ya catch my drift.

I play a King 606 at the moment, but started playing brass on the Euphonium, played in a few youth brass bands - heck, when I played with the St Helens Youth Training Band in the Principal Euphonium seat, we won the Junior section of the GB National Youth Brass Band Championships!
Unfortunately my Euph (made by Antoine Courtois in Paris) is out of use right now, I've not played it in a while and its all seized up. Needs fixing really, but I can't afford the £150 I was quoted a while back...
Brass bands were always my main thing until about 2 and a half years ago when I was asked to play trombone in a ska band. I was lent a horrible old thing that barely worked off my mate (who robbed it from school a year or two previously).. I actually think it was two different halves of trombone I was putting together each time I played it! It just kinda went from there, lots of different bands, ranging from full on punk with a touch of brass to full on reggae with slow, mellow brass lines.. I've kinda settled into the more mellow end of the scale, its just nicer to play.

I'm hoping to make playing Ska my main focus in life, and only being 19 I've got a long way to go... but things are certainly picking up quick now, with talk of small-scale record deals to come very very soon, and maybe even a UK tour on the underground scene for 2009... its all looking good!

and @ Romantic Rights...
Sounds like you've got an almost identical taste in music to me! Reel Big Fish were my fave band for ages, and I listen to all 3 of them very often.. and is your name a reference to the late, great, almighty DFA'79 by any chance?

Take it easy folks

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 09:44 PM
link   

and @ Romantic Rights...
Sounds like you've got an almost identical taste in music to me! Reel Big Fish were my fave band for ages, and I listen to all 3 of them very often.. and is your name a reference to the late, great, almighty DFA'79 by any chance?

Take it easy folks

Pretty much.

DFA are another one of my favorite bands. In fact, I almost decided to use the cover for YAWIAM as my avatar before I settled on this fox instead.

[edit on 10/6/2008 by Romantic Rights]

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 04:07 AM
link   
There is a link to this in my signature:

The Specials - Skinhead Moonstomp.

A Trojan classic:

The Aggrolites - Dirty Reggae

Amphetameanies - Say Something Special

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 05:43 AM
link   
Ah Eupho is so fantastic, I think it truly is the absolute nicest sounding instrument ever. I play a Besson Sovereign, although I really play more Valve Bone/Bone in a jazz context these days.

Ska and Reggae, no matter what style, if you're playing modern trombone, I high reccomend you get your hands on Bob McChesneys book about Doodle Tongueing technique. It's the bible when it comes to modern trombone toungueing.

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Yes, I like [spunge], Ska Daddy and Madness.

new topics

top topics

join