It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The history of the devil

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Hopefully this is in the right place, i apologise if its not.

The history of the devil is a documentary running nearly an hour; starting more than 3000 years ago in the middle east through the ages to recent times, we can see the evolution of mans idea of the devil. Its very interesting to say the least and well worth the watch imo.

The conspiracy angle to me is that the devil (and hell) was and has been used as a means to spread fear of the unknown, so that man conforms to the churches ideals. The greatest evil to me is mans desire to control the masses through fear. Even today the powers that be, the media el al spread fear into our hearts as so we conform to their agendas. Take the war on terror, the evil terrorists attacking us because we have freedom? Of course, god must be glad Bush took lead in killing off the evil by fighting fire with fire, ironic really.

Link to documentary

ps. sorry, ATS for some reason wont show embedded videos.

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Just saying Hi to you and your thread,good subject,I'll watch your documentary and give you a return visit

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by invisiblewoman

hey, seeing as you were the only one to comment, did you get to view the documentary? would be good to hear some opinions

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 12:27 PM
link   
You know I just read a thing about the devil how he not in hell but on earth with a 3rd of the angels now demons on earth. This makes sents to me sents it was all back up by scripture.

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by enduser

Hi there.

I watched the video and its very similar to the books i have read on the subject.Its clear where the myth came from and,as it stays near the start,Satan was a title of an angel that worked for God.

I believe this roll is still in effect,that the Satan works for God and we,as humans,perceive him as being evil.

A simplified example...
Tax men and bailiffs never have good press,but they're doing a job that has to be done,and its not easy for me to say that.

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 03:43 PM
link   
I haven't seen your documentary yet as I am discovering that it's hard to find time to watch all the long videos people post!
I am with the general assumption that the Devil and Hell are mind control constructs ,as I am an atheist. I think it's pretty obvious that any system of sins and punishments that are taught to us in our churches and temples and mosques are nothing but self serving propaganda designed to make us easy to control and reward . Suffer whatever burden they put on you and 'God' will reward you in heaven,that way it costs 'them' nothing to gain your cooperation. Rebel and you're a child of the arch Rebel Satan,and they can blame all consquences of their decisions ( famine ,war ,disease) on not following their deity well enough. Satan and Christ are the good cop bad coop . As to the evolution of a Devil , that is the outcome of one culture or religion overtaking another and relabeling the former gods as demons or saints . The catholic church is good at that you can research the local practice of Catholicism in every country that it is practiced in and find the original religion. outlined pretty faithfully in the local system of saints and festivals! I will watch your video soon it has taken me days to squeeze in Zietgeist! Whew so many videos so little time!

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Having met the devil, I disagree. He may however agree with you. Talk theory all you want, there's really only one way of finding out, though I would highly recommend not doing so. It's a path that can be one of no return. I was not responsible for getting me out of that situation.

[edit on 7-10-2008 by saint4God]

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 04:28 PM
link   
As its the Satan's job to tempt you and to test your faith by any and all means,is it any wonder that you believe him to be evil??

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by saint4God
Having met the devil, I disagree. He may however agree with you. Talk theory all you want, there's really only one way of finding out, though I would highly recommend not doing so. It's a path that can be one of no return. I was not responsible for getting me out of that situation.

[edit on 7-10-2008 by saint4God]

You met the devil ???

I know its slightly off topic, but you just cant give out the above statement and not tell us the whole story... would you be kind enough to share your experience????

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to post by 04326

i concur, please please elaborate as much as you can or care to; it is on topic, its the devil himself in question here

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 05:19 PM
link   
reply to post by enduser

Thanks for posting this , I can't watch it now as I need some kip after watching Zeitgeist Addendum (brilliant by the way, highly recommend) but wil watch it tomorrow and let you know what I think

Cheers

PS you'll probably find that few christians will be allowed to watch something like this.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by 04326
You met the devil ???

Not entirely intentionally. I made the stupid mistake of challenging anything that existed beyond the human realm.

Originally posted by 04326
I know its slightly off topic, but you just cant give out the above statement and not tell us the whole story... would you be kind enough to share your experience????

I'd done so before without positive result, so there isn't any incentive for me to do so again. I've found it more beneficial to answer questions as it pertains to others, validate, or describe his character. Personal testimony on this matter tends not to hold water because those who haven't had the experience quickly dismiss this for whatever reason (psychosis, medical, etc.).

On Satan, there is no doubt or 'need to believe' he is evil when standing before a person. He's a very visual and demonstrative individual face to face. Direct, clear, no misunderstandings to what he wants. When he filters through people via subtle persuasions without seeing him, that's where the question as to whether he's evil or not gets muddled. A theistic Satanist friend of mine would agree with this statement as well and is often frustrated when people doubt his intent.

Regarding Zeitgeist, most Christians I know here have seen it. We've even posted on topics named this many times in the past. It just one of those things that after repeating what's wrong with it, there's no point in doing so on a weekly basis.

[edit on 8-10-2008 by saint4God]

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by saint4God
A theistic Satanist friend of mine would agree with this statement as well and is often frustrated when people doubt his intent.

Wow, I can't believe you don't feel conflicted about that friendship.

At least your experiences validate his religion, by your own yardstick anyway.

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 08:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by C.C.Benjamin
Wow, I can't believe you don't feel conflicted about that friendship.

I was friend with him before becoming Christian so we were 'cool' with each other even afterwards...but there had been a few things I said he didn't like. On those moments he'd say, "Look, you don't preach to me and I won't preach to you"...which was ironic because he'd spent a fair amount of time trying to recruit me previously. Nevertheless I learned a LOT about what he believe and why and hopefully he learned a bit about the flipside likewise. Surprisingly, we didn't have many disagreements about what happened factually and Biblically, only who was right in their decisions.

At least your experiences validate his religion, by your own yardstick anyway.

It's true. We had discussions about his boss. He seemed to be proud of the things that made me dismayed. From the outside observer, it was clear we were taking about 'the same guy'. It's as if you were listening to a friend chat with a co-worker about work.

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Since Satan's only desire is freedom from a tyrannical god, and the notion of think for yourself, I can see the appeal.

Shame it's all just a fairytale for grownups, eh?

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 07:45 AM
link   

Since Satan's only desire is freedom from a tyrannical god,

That's his side of the story.

and the notion of think for yourself, I can see the appeal.

It's a trap and would allow to you 'live free' only until it's time to collect payment. Don't need to take my word on it though.

Shame it's all just a fairytale for grownups, eh?

How do you know?

[edit on 10-10-2008 by saint4God]

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 08:06 AM
link   
reply to post by saint4God

Hey Saint, out of interest, what is it that the devil actually wants from you? is it to hurt god? to destroy any and all life there is? and would the devil want there to be no existence at all? or does the devil just want to be the supreme ruler and reek havoc as it sees fit?

also, why is it that god and the devil are referred to as "him" or "he", do they have genders?

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by enduser
Hey Saint, out of interest, what is it that the devil actually wants from you?

In this life, absolute obedience. To quote, "You see, you believe, now obey!". In the next life he would own you. As Christ explains, "No one can serve two masters. Either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. "

is it to hurt god?

Yes, but it's not mere spite, he gets something out of it too.

to destroy any and all life there is?

I don't know. Destruction is surely on his side, but ultimately I think he's looking to reap the assets.

and would the devil want there to be no existence at all?

I doubt it. That would take him and his authority out too. Not a whole lot of point to that.

or does the devil just want to be the supreme ruler and reek havoc as it sees fit?

This sounds more within his character.

also, why is it that god and the devil are referred to as "him" or "he", do they have genders?

Nope. That's a flaw in English. On translation, we chose 'he' as a universal term. Neither God nor the devil have a need for gender or procreation as I understand it.

[edit on 10-10-2008 by saint4God]

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 10:49 AM
link   
I dont care what anyone says the bible and Jesus say that the devil is evil and no where does it say that the devil works for God. I believe that is why satan was throw out of heaven. because the devil does not do the will of God but is own will. s

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by saint4God

Im interested to know in what way the devil would own you when you pass on from this life? Presumably you mean the devil would own your soul? if so, i was under the impression (perhaps falsely) that your soul is no ones property other than gods, seeing as god created all? How can you truly sell something if it is not yours to sell?

Also, what happens to those whom do not chose to support either side, one that does not support either god nor the devil?

Yes, but it's not mere spite, he gets something out of it too.

Presumably you mean ones soul? or do you mean more power over god? Lets say that every creature ever born throughout the whole of the universe decided to join forces with the devil, how do you think god would react to this?

Also, this has popped up in my mind a few times, why is the devil allowed to continue to exist? and do you think that there could ever be a greater evil than the devil itself?

reply to post by slymattb

So basically youre saying that anyone that doesnt follow the christain will of god is evil and will not be allowed into heaven?

ps. im sure its mentioned somewhere that the devil once worked for god, am i wrong thinking that? i mean, if he were kicked out of heaven surely it was once better than it is now?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join