It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2012: No Geomagnetic Reversal

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 02:31 PM
link   

2012: No Geomagnetic Reversal

www.universetoday.com

Geomagnetic reversal is an engrossing area of geophysical research that will continue to occupy physicists and geologists for many years to come. Although the dynamics behind this event are not fully understood, there is absolutely no scientific evidence supporting the claim that there could be a geomagnetic reversal around the time of December 21st, 2012.

Besides, the effects of such a reversal have been totally over-hyped. Should we experience geomagnetic reversal in our lifetimes (which we probably won't), it is unlikely that we'll be cooked alive by the Solar Wind, or be wiped out by cosmic rays. It is unlikely that we'll suffer any mass extinction event (after all, early man, homo erectus, lived through the last geomagnetic shift, apparently with ease). We'll most likely experience aurorae at all latitudes whilst the dipolar magnetic field settles down to its new, reversed state, and there might be a small increase in energetic particles from space (remember, just because the magnetosphere is weakened, doesn't mean we wont have magnetic protection), but we'll still be (largely) protected by our thick atmosphere.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
science.slashdot.org

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 02:31 PM
link   
UniverseToday has an interesting look at geomagnetic reversal, the process in which the Earth's magnetic poles trade places. The article cites known trends and recent studies to debunk doomsday myths and unsubstantiated claims about the process. One such study is attempting to model the earth's core with a 26-ton ball of molten metal. Another recently found evidence that the Earth has a second, weaker magnetic field. "We do know that this magnetic pole flip-flop has occurred many times in the last few million years; the last occurred 780,000 years ago according to ferromagnetic sediment. A few scaremongering articles have said geomagnetic reversal occurs with 'clockwork regularity' — this is simply not true."

www.universetoday.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Compasses will be screwed all to heck. I'd hate to be out to sea or exploring the jungle when it happened.

I doubt it would be something we'd live through "with ease," but at the same time I don't think it will be any sort of "doomsday event." But that's just my opinion, of course.

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 03:45 PM
link   
When it says the last time around man lived through it with ease-- Well man was still nomadic, and was not dependent upon technology and infrastructure for day to day needs.

There's no evidence..Just some prophecies and a rough timeline of when the reversal is expected.

top topics

join