It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why I Believe We Are Not Alone In The Universe – Intelligent Discussion

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Hmm.

Why do I belive we're not alone?

Well.

First of all I like to believe universe is infinite, and some say that hubble ( not the telescope ) proved it to be right.
So I go by this as a reference point.

Now, in an infinitve space there are infinitive possibilities.
In a infinitive space everything exists.

This would mean, that anything our brain can comprehend and imagine exist somewhere.

I am one of those who don't believe that ALL life has to be built upon and based upon our own building blocks like water...and air.
I don't believe that life only exists on "habital enviroments" but that life always finds a way. I believe life tend to adapt and evolve by the enviroment at hand.

So, I can't see why Earth, amone billions of planets, would have life only.

I think the trick is to be open minded and think outdide the box I guess to fully begin to understand.

Yes, I do believe, strongly, that there are life on other plantes, and galaxies.

The next part is, do I believe they come here or already are here.
Well, I just can't deny all the pictures, videos, documents, testimonies etc etc that is out there now.
There is sooo much pointing towards that we really are not alone here.

[edit on 6-10-2008 by Akezzon]

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 02:49 PM
link   
This is a thread I started a while ago along a similar vein. It raised some interesting points and you might be interested in giving it a quick look.

cheers

:-)

www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 6-10-2008 by digdeep]

[edit on 6-10-2008 by digdeep]

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Life as we know it may be not, but to assume that there is no other life forms out there in this magnificent, huge universe is just arrogant.

We currently know life in temperatures ranging from roughly -40 Celsius up to +100 Celsius in some places. That is a small range. How about life forms in temperatures above +1000 Celsius? Has anyone ever done a research on possible life on Sun?

There is a huge presumption in public that life has to be carbon based and its comfort zone temperature must be around +20 Celsius.

[edit on 6-10-2008 by FIFIGI]

[edit on 6-10-2008 by FIFIGI]

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Seriously have you ever just sat back looking at the stars, and really thought about the whole thing, this big old "existence", I start asking questions like "why is existence in existence" and what could it be if not existence, and then I try to imagine a complete lack of existence, and its impossible to imagine, which is why I truly think existence is infinite.
Your mind literally boggles when you sit back and start asking questions like that to yourself, I mean you literally have to stop or youll go crazy.

And ten I question wheter there truly is a universal architect, a guiding hand that could have just left the universe as a nice place, but no, life was breathed into it, I mean just the fact that life exists at all, with the capability to try and comprehend its own existence and surroundings, points to the possibility.

At the end of the day I can bandy theories like that left, right and centre, but at the end of the day, I know nothing, and although Ive always had the urge to know the entire truth, sometimes you just have to sit back and admire the sheer vast and endless beauty that these senses were crafted to percieve.

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 03:53 PM
link   
I have a bumpersticker that says " don't believe everything you think". I try to be sure of what I really believe versus a changeable opinion. On the subject of "are we alone..." I really don't know what to believe. But this is what I think.......currently anyway.

Absolutely Yes there is life "out there" because we ourselves are proof.....
Earth is "out there' in the galaxy. Are there others? Probably. But I kinda think that we are their remnants, decsendants, that we are the ones left behind. I think they have already been here and have moved on.
I don't believe in evolution of the human species ever happened because we are completely unnecessary for life on this planet to exist. Remove humans, earth and its climate and all the species in nature will just continue to hum along nicely. The wise child said it well: stardust comes down into mommies bellies. We are stardust. We are from out there. Will they return? It's impossible to know.
I have had many sightings over my lifetime. I don't know what they are. No one else does either. And I am comfortable with the mystery.

[edit on 6-10-2008 by missvicky]

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anonymous ATS
My Thoughts on this topic.....

The Bacteria on your skin have no concept of who you are, they do not know your name or understand your language. They have no understanding of our science or art. To them you are simply a habitat.

The very planets them selves could be living beings, for us to assume otherwise would be ignorant as we only have to look at the life present on our own planet to see how varied and different it can be.

The whole universe is awareness making ripples in a sea of quantum foam, making subatomic, atomic, molecular, organisms, ecosystems, planets, stars, solar systems, galaxies, galactic local groups, super clusters and larger. . That we don't understand this does not mean it is not true.

The dust you breath into your lung is aware. You might not have any context if you are focused on yourself. Decentralize, turn off the mental noise and hear the music of the spheres.

Life is all and everywhere. When we wake up we will know this and love it all as our self. (even democrats and republicans).

B1

ZG

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by karl 12

Phoenix I know we don´t usualy agree on theological issues but I´d just like to say that is a mighty fine post

[edit on 02/10/08 by karl 12]

Thanks a lot, that means a lot to me.

I am really grateful for the creation of the hubble telescope and others, because when all hope is lost, when your starting to see the world as a depressing place, these images remind us of how amazing we all are, how amazing our universe is, our planet, how amazing everything is! the possibilites of all this makes you just go WOW, just trying to figure out the meaning of this universe, makes your mind explode with imagination and wonder.

I've always wondered why some people have no interest in this subject, to me it's the most interesting subject mankind can indulge in.

If only we as humans could come together and work together and spend our money on this subject, instead of spending our money on fighting each other.

Peace.

[edit on 6-10-2008 by _Phoenix_]

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 04:32 PM
link   
I beleive we are not alone due to the overwhelming evidence out there not only recent but artifacts, hieroglyphs and the nazca lines, as well as the pyramids.

Not only do I believe in space travelers, but perhaps some may be interdimensional or time travellers, perhaps aided by a secret society here in this dimension and may be itself a secret interdimensional organisation.

The transmission sent in the 70s that was returned to us with altered information about the grays, the crop circles depicting both spacecraft design and purpose.

I think to not believe, or pretend to live a normal life in this age is just damaging yourself because the world as a whole has been slowly waking from the dream it has plunged into via whatever social whim distracts one from researching the possibilities of our future, which i find to be constant new realisations and learning how to change to fit the universe, not changing the universe which is temporary and in my philisophical view, pointless to try.

p.s watch the nasa tether incident, then go google search the dropa stones.

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Dave Rabbit

thanks for the photos - they're so beautiful it's enough to make you cry

I believe we're not alone because it's actually easier for my mind to accept that than that we are alone

I've just kind of assumed there was more out there - or around us - all my life

but then, like a lot of people - I saw something I can't explain - and now it's pretty much all I think about

which would explain a lot - but that's another subject...

thanks for this thread - nice

[edit on 10/6/2008 by Spiramirabilis]

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 05:29 PM
link   
People seem to mistake life on another planet for the green/grey bug eyed little fellas running around the woods sticking things in peoples butts. To think that we are the only carbon based life form in the universe is to not understand how big we are talking here. Just the number of planets like earth is in the millions at least. So given that fact that there is a planet 99.9 percent like earth, do you not think there is some kind of critter out there? Now, I am not saying I believe they are flying around and sucking the blood from dairy cows, but who knows. I am smart enough to know that I have no way of knowing for sure.

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 06:17 PM
link   
yeah i feel that the milky way galaxy is home to other intelligent species,
i do believe that with the sightings and close encounters cases that we have something here. something is occuring and my quess is that our galaxy can harbor intelligent beings other than our own who can traverse the pathways that are contained within it.

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 06:18 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Here's a question for y'all.

When thinking about "intelligent" life...someone had to be the first. Who's to say we aren't the first.

I honestly doubt we are, but honestly, we really don't know, do we?

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by seagull

When thinking about "intelligent" life...someone had to be the first. Who's to say we aren't the first.

Wow.... great question and should get some interesting responses. Personally, based upon my own UFO experience, and assuming that to have a vehicle that is capable of interstellar travel would be more advanced than us, I would have to take that information and say we couldn't have been the first. But for hypothetical conversation, if the vehicles were not from within our own universe or, as some of our ATS MIX Guests (Dr. Michio Kaku, etc.) have asserted, dimension.... then we could very well be the first.

Nice sidebar.

Dave

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 06:47 PM
link   
There is a possibility that we are the first, or one of the first. Not all scientific developments will happen to other civilizations as they have happened to us. Another civilization may be close to us as far as basic technology, but may have had a breakthrough as far as space travel.

You never know, just a thought.

edit: can't stand typos..

[edit on 6/10/08 by wisefoolishness]

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by seagull

What if it just goes round and round and there is no first or beginning?

Earth goes round and round right? How can we be sure everyting else doesnt'

What did come first the chicken or the egg?...........what if neither?

Was Adam first? he was a sucker if he was no offence, but all he had to do was not eat the apple, look at the mess he made.

Sorry i went off track

To wrap it up ,if we where first and, we are "it" and, all there is. I feel cheated.

Part of you thinks even if there where bad ud love to see em' .admit it

cheers

where was i?

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 07:15 PM
link   
The resilience of life on this planet, from bacteria and bats floating around in the air down to blind salamanders and giant in underwater caves 5 miles below the surface of the ocean, is an endless wonder. The energy created from life is unfathomable. It's too powerful, too unique, too hardy to be located on this one little, fragile planet.

Only recently have I begun to believe in actual outer space life traveling through zero-gravity space (sky serpents, what have you). There's just so much going on in a living creature and yet we're all made out of the same stuff. I believe life can pop up anywhere that it can feed. Once I accepted that and accepted that some UFOs could be living creatures in themselves, the possibilities are endless.

Moreover, thoughts literally change matter. A cat chases a mouse, which causes chemical reactions and electrical responses, while producing greater energy output from both creatures. During which, they also manipulate the environment around them. A wife tells her husband she loves him. She radiates powerful emotional energy (which produces electricity, just like the stuff powering your laptop) which then causes chemical and physical changes in her husband's body and brain, and together their thoughts dictate all sorts of occurrances that release energy into their environment. These things seem trivial and obvious, but nowhere in the known Universe can matter change by the choice of another lump of matter. I never take for granted the incredible power that comes from a living creature.

That's why I believe the universe is full of life.

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by wisefoolishness

The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

There's a short story that came out in a series of SF books a few years back, the title as best I can recall is "A Road Not Taken", wish I could remember the author's name.

Anyway the premise of the story was just that. There is a whole plethora of races that have FTL drives, but are languishing in near 17th century or earlier technology. Turns out the process of FTL is really very simple...humans just hadn't looked in the right direction...

Anyway, one of the races decides to attack late 20th century Earth with late 17th century tech., needless to say, the big bad aliens got their heads handed to them...in the process, unleashing humanity on a unsuspecting universe.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 07:51 PM
link   
the universe has many layers, and many possible ways to experience life on earth alone.

to fully understand the situation we are in when looking up at the stars, try putting yourself in the shoes of some of earths creatures. who live in worlds alien to us, and have no knowledge of what exsists beyond it.

a crab living near deep underwater volcanic vent, has no knowledge of what exsists above it. and if it were inteligent enough would proberbly think its world is all there is.

an ant in an anthill will only ever know its immediate surroundings, beyond that it has no knowledge. but if it were inteligent it would know there is more beyond its own surroundings.

i think of us in the same way, when we are stood on earths crust looking up at sky, knowing there is something more but it is beyond our reach and we are not quite sure what it is, but we know its there. but with the added advantage of knowing there are lots of simular formations to the place we live.

galaxies like our own.

the more you think about it the more ludicrous it is to say, there is no life out there, when the ferthest we have been is sending probes to our own outer planets in our own solar system, which is 1 of .......( i don't know if a word exists that would count them). if there are billions of galaxies, how many solar systems exist within one galaxy alone? we have not even started exploring, when you take into account how much there is to explore.

in my opinion saying there is no life out there is like a ape sitting on top of a mountain side and looking at the surronding area, and seeing a seperate wooded area detached from the wooded area it lives it, and saying "its looks simular, but life can only exsist in this forest"

[edit on 6-10-2008 by lifeform]

[edit on 6-10-2008 by lifeform]

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 09:01 PM
link   
I believe life is the inevitable results of incredible (infinite?) time and space.

Life is a facet of the Universe, we are part of the system. We are made up of the variables that surround us, we just happen to think it is extremely complicated. We are aware of are own existence and WE even think this whole thing is amazing.

What could be more perfect?

A system that become self aware and is amazed by ITSELF!

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 09:26 PM
link   
I have always thought that it makes more sense that there are other intelligent forms of life out there in the universe, then to believe we are alone in this vast universe in which we are not even a detectable speck except in a tiny portion of space.

It also makes sense that we are not the first to venture into space, and that the odds are heavily in favor of the idea that there are plenty of far more advanced life forms than we are aware of.

It also seems plausible that our development might have been influenced by far superior beings. Although it is probably not the situation, it is possible.

I'm sure I am repeating what others have written, but I didn't have the time to read the whole thread, and I wanted to get this one in My ATS, so I can read through it.

Thanks to the OP.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join