It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why I Believe We Are Not Alone In The Universe – Intelligent Discussion

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 08:23 AM
link   
Because it's so bloody big and it's ignorant to think we could be the only intelligent life in the Galaxy.

Ppl like Terry Wogan make stupid comments for cheap laughs such as why haven't they landed on the white house lawn?

These other worldly beings are so advanced compared to us. If they were to induct us into there federation it would be like putting a ticking time bomb inside.

We can't even get along with our neighbours yet alone other countries.

We have a long way to go before we reach "The" spiritual conscious....

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 08:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Dave Rabbit

Great thread!
I've always loved those pictures, any of those space pictures always makes me become full of wonder and my imagination goes wild.

How can anyone deny that aliens exist, when we have not even explored 000000.1% of the universe!

What you were talking about the deep oceans, is very true! Just imagine the knowledge that is out there!

Let's forget about aliens for one moment, what about everything else that's out there too, the almost unlimited amount of things to learn and explore!

Humans like to be "know it all's" We like to think we understand the universe, how it works, we like to think we can understand everything. That's a bit silly, we havent even left our planet properly yet haha.

I sure hope to find a lot of new knowledge about our univerese in my lifetime.

[edit on 6-10-2008 by _Phoenix_]

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Good post Dave-this U.S. Government Rand document from 1969 has some intruiging comments about the possibility of other civilisations visiting our planet-there is also some very interesting speculation regarding the Drake equation and it´s assumptions.
www.abovetopsecret.com...
Likewise Stanton Friedman´s SETI challenge is also a good read and addresses the Fermi paradox,FTL travel and other issues.
www.v-j-enterprises.com...
Cheers Karl

[edit on 02/10/08 by karl 12]

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 08:28 AM
link   
Hi Dave,

Aren't your pictures of this beautiful Universe just amazing.

I come from both sides as you know Dave, I am just one that observes both sides and shares.

One thing I always thought amazing is just how vast this Universe is. I have been in one of the ships that is so hugh that you would take it as a Planet and they themselves are still mapping this vast Universe. In the whole of things this Planet and the human race is just a small speck but one UNIQUE thing with us is....... we as a species can survive above ground in the atmosphere.

I read here at ATS how so many are unhappy with Earth and just want to get off (so to say) and I am so saddened by this. This Planet is so UNIQUE they copy it......yes, they copy it by collecting our trees and plants, water and so many things that are not plentiful elsewhere and create other locations that look like different stages in Earth's history.

People need to realize what they have is a treasure right here and that as a race we have been destroying this wonderful gift and if we do not correct it NOW and I mean NOW this Planet will come as all the others and people will not survive on the lands as I was shown by the year 2046.

All life in the UNIVERSE is a mixture and we are all family.... sad people just can't realize and accept this, ("most" are peaceful) and we are known as hostile but """THEY""" know there is goodness here so the Planet is OBSERVED and MONITORED 24/7 not only for there protection but for the protection of this Planet.......""" sadly not its people."""

There is massive life in our Solar system.... in our Moon and Mars for example. How long is this going to be kept from you I don't know but evolution isn't going to move forward if the control a handful of humans hold over this entire race isn't done away with, all mankind has to lay down weapons and bring force peace, do you think this will ever come to light?

[edit on 6-10-2008 by observe50]

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by pai mei

Big compared to what ? It is infinite, it can't be any other way. If it has a limit what is beyond that ? A stone wall ? Nothing ? How big is that nothing ?
It's as big as we want it to be

True in a way, we don't really know if the universe actually ends, so you might be right.

And if we got back to our "imagination" I believe our minds can perceive "unlimited" things. Does this make everything unlimited!? do you see what I'm trying to say? lol it's hard to describe.

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 09:18 AM
link   
There is one picture which seems to be absent from this thread. Maybe it will help put things into perspective. And while it may noy directly adress our own galaxy, I think it makes its points.

It is, in my opinion, the most incredibly humbling, awesome and awe inspiring thing ever 'seen' by man.

That is what we see when we point our 'eyes' at a seemingly empty patch of sky.

Just amazing.

edit: Remember, it doesn't have to be intelligent life to be life. Just finding a planet teeming with bacteria and single celled organisms would be the most monumental day in our collective histories.

[edit on 10/6/0808 by spines]

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 09:39 AM
link   
reply to post by spines

Spines good post ...and you´re not wrong about that image being truly humbling and awe-inspiring.
If you´ve not seen them before,heres another series of images which shows how incomprehensively,minbogglingly vast some objects in our universe actualy are:
blog.globalparadigms.com...
(Scroll down)
Cheers Karl

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 10:17 AM
link   
My entire reason for coming to ATS and registering as a member was to find more evidence on UFOs and to see if there was "evidence" I didn't know about that the experts could not explain away.

I came to ATS wanting to believe. Logic tells me that there is a very, very good chance that life exists elsewhere based on the vastness of the universe, and there's so much that we don't know of about this plane of existence. It IS, in my opinion, sheer arrogance to believe that we are the only living beings in this universe with higher intelligence.

That being said, my beliefs in others out there run solely on faith. The evidence presented to ATS that I've see is far from a smoking gun and I've seen nothing that couldn't be explained away completely, though there were a couple of topics that came very close. I put myself in the camp of "wanting to believe" and "seeking truth". That probably won't change until we have either full disclosure, I see something with my own eyes or I see evidence that no expert can give a rational explanation for.

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 10:35 AM
link   
My Thoughts on this topic.....

The Bacteria on your skin have no concept of who you are, they do not know your name or understand your language. They have no understanding of our science or art. To them you are simply a habitat.

The very planets them selves could be living beings, for us to assume otherwise would be ignorant as we only have to look at the life present on our own planet to see how varied and different it can be.

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 10:53 AM
link   
I think the best proof of Aliens living out there is us living down here.

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 11:12 AM
link   
I believe the Drake equation but I also believe in possibilty that we could be biological chess pieces in an interdimensional game. We play the Sims game in two dimensions maybe higher evolveds are playing us in three dimensions. I am not writing this from a mental institution, I just believe in the possibility.

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Those pictures are incredible, there is a Hindu belief that life in some format is on every planet, its just that humans have a pre-defined view of what life is.

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Drakes Equation gives us a current figure of 2.31 intelligent civilisations alive at any one moment in the Milky Way galaxy.

I think this is a reasonable figure.

I want to go one step further and try to calculate the amount of total civilisations throughout the history of the formed galaxy.

As I've only got basic understanding of formation of systems and stars, I'm going to take a ball park figure of 5 Billion years of possible time in which intelligent life could have existed up to this point. I think the first 7 billion years of the universe would have been the formation. I have a feeling our earth is 4 billion years old, hence the guestimate.

If there are 2.31 civilisations every 10,000 years on average, then if I count the amount of time within 5 billion years, I get this:

5,000,000,000 / 10,000 = 500,000.

500,000 X 2.31 = 1,115,000 civilisations over the course of history.

The Milky Way has about 200 Billion Stars within it. This means that there could have possibly been 1 Cilvilisation for every 1793 Star Systems, at some point in the last 5 billion years

Of course, this isn't really very helpful as the figures are ball-park, but put it into more perspecitve for me.

i'd love to have confirmation of life elsewhere in the galaxy, or even the universe! It's always been a big question for me and I have a feeling that if I knew the answer, I would feel more contented in this life.

It's one of the reasons I keep coming to this site, it's where I imagine news of such things to be heard first.

Peace to all.

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 12:13 PM
link   
I am a believer... =D

And I also do believe we'll advance far enough into technology that we will be able to to go where no man has gone before

The vastness of space is simply mind boggling!

Watch this video...it's trully remarkable...

[edit on 6-10-2008 by Seaman_Richie]

[edit on 6-10-2008 by Seaman_Richie]

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Most of you have been specifying "intelegent life". Most of you have been specifying Galexy. In responce to this, 1: I agee with an earlyer post in saying that it can only be one celled organisms, 2: Galex? maybe (don't flame at me, I already realise spectacularily small odds). Universe? Flat out imposible. The laws of probability say that, given time, all things happen. Inevitably, there will be a second time the univers gets life.

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Graber

don't flame at me, I already realise spectacularily small odds.

This Is A NO FLAME ZONE!

Thanks for taking the time to give us your ideas.

Dave

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by _Phoenix_

Great thread!
I've always loved those pictures, any of those space pictures always makes me become full of wonder and my imagination goes wild.

How can anyone deny that aliens exist, when we have not even explored 000000.1% of the universe!

What you were talking about the deep oceans, is very true! Just imagine the knowledge that is out there!

Let's forget about aliens for one moment, what about everything else that's out there too, the almost unlimited amount of things to learn and explore!

Humans like to be "know it all's" We like to think we understand the universe, how it works, we like to think we can understand everything. That's a bit silly, we havent even left our planet properly yet haha.

I sure hope to find a lot of new knowledge about our univerese in my lifetime.

Phoenix I know we don´t usualy agree on theological issues but I´d just like to say that is a mighty fine post

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by karl 12

Phoenix I know we don´t usually agree on theological issues but I´d just like to say that is a mighty fine post

Now THAT is what I'm talking about..... CLASS!

Nice one Karl. That's why I love our intelligent community.

Dave

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Dave Rabbitt!

This is one spectularly GREAT thread to start, and I am very happy it was you, and not me, who started it. (because lil'ole me would have been eaten alive!)

I must tread carefully, as I write what are MY opinions, based on what is currently known within science, to date:

We know, already, about the chemical reactions that can be stimulated, by exteral energy forces....whether lightning, or sunlight....or simply the energy that results from chemical bonds....I THINK that's what is referred to as 'abiogenisis'.

Forgive me, if this is a 'repeat'...I found this thread and got energized enough to comment.

Perhaps some perspective is necessary...anyone familiar with astronomy will know approximately where our 'solar system' currently resides, in relation to the rest of our Galaxy. Think of us as living in the 'suburbs'....if that helps.

Problem is, in the 'near center' the conditions are such that Earth life, as we know it, could not exist. Too much radiation. Not due to any 'intelligent' activity, of other beings....simple physics. Of course, I could be wrong....

Back to a lesson in stellar formation....the early stars, in any given Galaxy, form of mostly Hydrogen, and through gravitational forces fuse into Helium, and 'burn' merrily along, fusing other 'elements'.....these were the 'First Generation' stars.....long, long before life on Earth, or indeed, Earth even existed!!!

To take an idea from a recipe, 'stir and repeat...and repeat, and repeat'....assuming you have about 5 Billion years to cook your recipe......

Every iteration of star formation, and fusion, and sometimes supernovae, resulting in heavier elements being produced....by the current count, about 13 Billion of what we call 'years'.

This, leads to us.....after a long path, well outside the timeframe of human existence....and, thusly hard to comprehend.

Actually, our own Galaxy, the Spiral Galaxy we've named the 'Milky Way' is probably not 13 Billion years old....Our own Sun is only about 5 Billion years old, and has about 5 Billion years left before death....it is a 'Main Sequence' star, a G-type, fairly common in our Galaxy.....and THIS is why there are likely many, many, many other similar Star Systems, with planets, that could support the evolution of life.

Biggest question is: How far away?

Second biggest question is: How often does 'intelligence' evolve?

Third biggest question is: Once 'intelligence' evolves....do they destroy themselves before leaving their planet of origin?

I hope someone has some opinions?

Thanks.

WW

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 02:14 PM
link   
I just want to put in my two cents in...not really regarding IF there is life on far away destinations but the narrow-mindness of humans in General.

I hate when I hear from someone exploring the cosmos that (for example) water is the building block of all life.

That may be true for life on Earth, but it doesent have to apply to life on another planet.

Life may exsist in such a way that we cannot understand because it is not our way of existance.

Our sciences and understanding of life on Earth can be understood by us because we are apart of it.

I think our discovery of life outside of this planet will come when the boundries of Earth no longer come into play.

Saying a planet is too hot, or two cold, lack of water, food sources, etc should not come to mind when exploring an Alien planet.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join