It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why I Believe We Are Not Alone In The Universe – Intelligent Discussion

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 01:37 AM
link   
Just for a moment, imagine while contemplating all those trillions of stars across hundreds of billions of galaxies...

...what if this planet was the only planet with life that has ever existed?

I mean, just imagine that.

If we are the only planet that has life, how much more responsibility does that give us?

I want to believe and feel instinctively that there is MUCH other life out there.

But if there isn't any other life, the universe is too big to ever confirm that. In-other-words, if we are alone in this universe, we'll never know it.

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 01:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by NorthWolfe CND

P.S. I was specially aggravated by your quote, so, if you don't mind, I would like to change it:

”There Cannot Be Something Better Than Man, Just Can't Be!”
Norman Wolfe

If that aggravated you, you must have really hated the movie.
I still stand by the quote from the movie.... regardless of WHO may have written it. If Norman Wolfe is the author of that.... and if the writers of Planet Of The Apes took literary license or modified it.... I don't care. I personally don't think that man/woman is the best in the trillions of worlds. That's my opinion.... and that is what this thread is about.... YOUR OPINION. As I stated before, this is not a debate.... but a chance for serious thoughts and exchanges of ideas without all the typical thread BS that happens on the majority of the ATS Threads lately.

Appreciate your thoughts.

Dave

[edit on 10/6/2008 by Dave Rabbit]

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 01:49 AM
link   
it is impossible to prove there is a heaven or a hell but it is far more likely there is life on other planets and is (to me) rediculouse to even think there is no other life there is infinite space out there where does it end where does it start its improbable and very unlikely that we are alone look at insects and animals they are everything like an alien to us they are not of the human special if there can be different species on one planet why not on any other planet maybe some of the animals on out planet are on other planets but more adapted to the atmosphere around them

you can comment this in any way im no good with words but i hope i sort of got my thoughts and know more than me and some few i know think kind of like i do

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 01:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Equinox99
Here we are trying to grasp something that is utterly mind boggling. Yet we have not even discovered about 95% of the ocean's depth.

Right there with you on that one. Having been a PADI Certified Instructor back in the 80's with over 2,500 successful student certifications, well over 2000 logged dives, ocean dives on just about every part of planet Earth.... I can attest to the absolute beauty and wonder that is in Inner Space. Just as we are just now scratching the surface with new and improved technology to withstand the millions of pounds per square inch that is exerted the more atmospheres in depth that is achieved..... not in my lifetime..... but maybe in yours or your kids.... I believe there will be some astonishing finds in places where past civilizations may be found and help explain all the questions that still linger about our own planet. Great thought.

Dave

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 02:10 AM
link   
Had to share this, would of been rude not to

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 02:15 AM
link   
here is a much clearer version of the number one picture....
stunning.

antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov...

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 02:19 AM
link   

[I don't care. I personally don't think that man/woman is the best in the trillions of worlds. That's my opinion....

Iff we're the best that the universe can offer,then turn it off. Cos there's just no point. I've never believed that we're alone in this universe,even way before I should have had an opinion on it. (aged 5 or 6 I remember being interested in aliens and stuff) This opinion has had me laughed at from alot of people,but I'm laughing right back. Cos I think it's a bit silly to think that we're alone in this incomprehesibly vast cosmos. I think the nest step in our evolution will be helped along oncce we "go intergalactic" as a planet.

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 02:36 AM
link   

If we're the best that the universe can offer,then turn it off.

lol

It would be a bit of a let down wouldnt' it. I'd be bummed' out if,it where proven earth is as good as it gets.

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 03:13 AM
link   
Id have to say that life has to exist else where in the galaxy its a given. But are they visiting earth may be another thing. Space itself makes an effective barrier And id like to hope if we ever visited other planets we wouldnt play the games that witnesses tell us the aliens do.

[edit on 10/6/08 by dragonridr]

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 03:22 AM
link   
Thanks for the thread and the photos Dave.

Whenever I ponder this subject I am always led to the humbling thought that I am the universe observing itself.

That thought more than anything else leaves no doubt in my mind that "we are not alone".

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 03:30 AM
link   
Hi Dave!

The reason i think that there is "plenty" of other life in the Universe "or" Universe's is simple, like Dr. Carl Sagan (who is my friend's grandfather) always said Quote:

"We are all made of star stuff"!

So therefore there has to be other starstuff beings of many types, because there is simply so much star stuff out there, it's just seems so damn logical doesn't it!

devil

[edit on 6-10-2008 by damdevildog]

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 03:36 AM
link   
Every day I'm utterly astonished at the beauty of this existence we all share together. Since the day of our conception we have been stumbling around aimlessly trying to figure out the world around us, and life really keeps the beauty coming! Some of us have perverted the vision of enjoying life, and I refuse to let it fog my imagination or my ambition! I am only 26 and its unbelievable how many new mysteries there are for me to explore! So ... It is hard for me to entertain the notion that we are alone! My mother gave birth to me on a planet (Earth! :lol
that orbits a sun, which we know is but one of many in existence!

"The Sombrero Galaxy - 28 million light years from Earth and has 800 billion suns and is 50,000 light years across. - Dave Rabbit

This quote tells me how clueless we can be! We have come along way, but we also have a long way to go! We have no clue what truths lay waiting in the depths of Any direction!!! I need no speculation from scientists to convince me of what i know... Our planet is impossibly abundant with life and we have learned that when the proper conditions exist, then so does life. We have on our planet bacteria that can survive the most extreme conditions here on Earth called extremophiles, so why is it even debatable as to weather or not life can be somehow supported elsewhere?!

Image From Yellowstone National park

[edit on 6-10-2008 by No one will believe me]

[edit on 6-10-2008 by No one will believe me]

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 03:40 AM
link   
Thanks for the pictures it reminds me of a book I once had, called "Our Universe" filled with those kinds of pictures. I remember one that showed a cluster of clusters of galaxies. After seeing that picture I would say we are not alone at all! The universe is just to great to say we aren't alone, but on the other had it also gives us an illusion that we are alone. I guess in a sense we are alone, but not because there isn't other life out there only because we are bound by space and time. In either case it's great to be apart of it all.

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 03:43 AM
link   
Oh,and for anyone who still doesn't believe that there is life in outerspace,remember this. We ARE life in outer space.

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 04:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Skiball

Not only that what are the odds of our existence and all this abundant life? viewing our bodies makeup is like peering into the universe. I always say so what isn't possible??
People laugh at the concept of aliens visiting the earth, but tend to forget that we ARE ALIENS. We are a species like any other. So how is it not possible that some other species do exist and that some may know how to manipulate time and space? In such a large universe those are the only 2 factors that bind us to this little planet. I believe since we are here then it makes more sense that other are as well locally. The further out of the galaxy the less life you will see. It starts to thin out more until life makes it's footprint there. It's hard to say if we are paving the road for others to come or are we seeded by someone else?? In any case we are very special.

[edit on 6-10-2008 by sean]

[edit on 6-10-2008 by sean]

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 05:14 AM
link   
The math alone make it clear, it would be impossible for there not to be life elsewhere.

It is actually more likely life is everywhere.

After The Drake equation

then there is..

Inflation-Theory Implications for Extraterrestrial Visitation

J. Deardorff, B. Haisch, B. Maccabee and H.E. Puthoff, J. British Interplanetary Soc., 58, 43-50, 2005.

When you see how life is on Earth and how tenacious and inventive and when we see it on Mars soon, then seeing the hundreds of planets we are finding around other stars, including Earth like planets much larger than our own, it becomes a given.

Of course also taking into consideration the good word of so many people that say they have experienced first hand "other life" is hear already, should be factored in too.

The question of intelligence might be much more challenging, but I am finding much less on this planet than we might need to survive in any significant numbers.

Dumb life is all over this rock! Most it seems are stock brokers and politicians.

ZG

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 05:27 AM
link   
those pics are amazing dave!

i want to beleive this galaxy is a classroom and earth is one of the pupils.

it just dosent feel like we're alone.
when i look up from time to time i just get the vibe that there is much much more going on in the universe than we humans cant evan fathom..... which is exciting and mindboggling at the same time. makes for intresting dinner (or ats) discussions which i love.

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 06:36 AM
link   
Stunning photos but the one hubble pic that really captured my imagination on what really could be out there is "Hubbles deep space".
JUst one small section of the sky when examined closely, thousands of galaxies jump out of no where. As you zoom farther and farther in you see fewer and fewer galaxies until there is nothing but black. Amazing is this the end of our universe? Or the begining of time? truly awesome.

hubblesite.org...

hubblesite.org...

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 07:07 AM
link   
Just looking back at those images on your opening post dave ..... isnt it amazing to think that such beauty has been caused by such violence.

It would be a shame if we were the only civilisation capable of seeing them or even understanding the processes at work.

The universe is monumental in its size that its hard to even comprehend what other wonders the universe is capable of showing us.

To think that life on earth arose because of a 1 in a googolplex probability is just insane. If bacteria can hitch a ride on a space probe, come back to earth and start growing again (this did happen a while ago just cant remember the name of the probe) then life is much stronger than we give it credit for. If life is so strong then surely life must have arose elsewhere.

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 08:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by selfisolated
Amazing photos.

I simply believe - whether the Universe is 'infinite' or not - that its so damn big there must be other life.
I also reckon theres a lot of intelligent life, a lot of unintelligent life, and probably less idiots out there in the whole cosmos than there is on this one little microscopic speck on the microscopic speck on the microscopic speck that is this galaxy...

Big compared to what ? It is infinite, it can't be any other way. If it has a limit what is beyond that ? A stone wall ? Nothing ? How big is that nothing ?
It's as big as we want it to be

And Your Personal Opinion Is?

This Is Not For A Grade... But Opinion.

Dave

[edit on 10/6/2008 by Dave Rabbit]

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join