It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would you organize a protest?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 05:55 AM
link   
I was just curious about how many members here honestly would put themselves out there and be willing to organize a rally against the government?

I just finished writing a scathing email to my congressman for his yea vote on the bailout. After I sent it, I began having second thoughts. I mean, my full name and address were on there and I just sent a nasty-gram to a fairly high ranking government official. If that is bordering on "risky behavior" for me, I would never be able to actually organize a protest.

I feel like I have too much to lose now. If I was still young, with no responsibilities and still in college, you bet your ass I would be organizing one though.

It just makes me wonder if my fear of this is irrational or if other people feel the same way. If you aren't afraid of organizing one, why haven't you done so yet? What would it take to finally bring you to do it?

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 06:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Karlhungis

I think you have every right to be worried. They have started arresting bloggers for crying out loud, just for stating their opinion.

The governments of the world are obviously worried about a possible revolt against them to begin to arrest people for their opinions.

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 06:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

So, is it safe to assume that you would NOT organize a protest? It really is a good illustration of how well they have gamed the system in their favor.

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 06:09 AM
link   

Actually, I have a propensity to stick it to the man regardless of the consequences so I have no qualms about organising something of that magnitude.

But I do not blame those who do not want to risk imprisonment, or worse....

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 06:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

So why don't you get out there and stick it to the man for the rest of us cowards who are too afraid to do it? I would like to live vicariously through people like you.

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 06:28 AM
link   
I have organized more than one protest. The first was in 1970 concerning the bad treatment our military men were getting upon their return to The US after serving in Vietnam. That was a tough one.

I have never been afraid to stand up for what I think is right. As long as I have breath in my body I will take my stand for what ever I think is best for my country.

I am not afraid to tell you or the world that I am a patriotic citizen and that I love my country. I do not condone or approve of my governments actions but the government is not my country....the people are.

I have been a member of subversive organizations. No need to hide it here. I didn't hide it then.

Life became simple and our world seemed to be better during the 80's and 90's. Unfortunately the tide has changed again. We are in dier straights.

We are in danger of loosing all our freedoms that we hold dear to our hearts.

I'm ready and willing to fight for yours and my rights. If it takes a protest then I'm there.

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 06:33 AM
link   

Oh believe me I plan to
And I will not need to tell anyone about it, it will be self evident when it happens

I am simply biding my time, awaiting the opportune moment to squeeze myself into a crack and then blast it wide open.

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 06:36 AM
link   
reply to post by dizziedame

I was born in the 70's so I can't say for certain but the political climate of the time seemed to be a bit more tolerant of protesters. Would you agree or disagree?

Do you see any differences between organizing a protest now vs in the 70's? If not, do you think that the lack of protests that we are seeing right now is due to apathy, cowardice, ignorance or media coverup (meaning that they are happening, just people aren't hearing about it)?

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 07:09 AM
link   

Karl, the Kent State protest was pretty bad. My God, tanks against students!!!!

I believe that it has become unpopular to be patriotic in our country. Apathy has spread like a cancer among our young people. Pride in ones country and even in self has faded to almost non existent.

The process around my neck of the woods is still the same as it was 40 years ago. Go to City Hall, get a permit to march. It's simple.

I am presently involved in a protest against an action taken by my local government. We march at the county court house every Friday.

In May I attended a religious freedoms protest. May I add it was for freedom of ALL religions...not just Christianity.

I believe the lack of patriotism is one of our main concerns in getting people out and on their feet. Pride in country seems at a dangerously low level.

And yes, sadly, I feel we have many cowards in our ranks. It is also with sad heart that I realize that my 4 grandsons are nearing the age when they can join the military. All the more reason to stand up and be counted when a protest just might make a difference. I too have a lot to loose. But I will put it all on the line to make our country a better place for our grandchildren.

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 07:13 AM
link   
reply to post by dizziedame

Yes, I will give you that Kent State was bad. I honestly thought it happened in the 60's and had to look it up...1970.

You should be commended for standing up for what you believe in. I wish there were more people like you out there.

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 07:15 AM
link   

I don't or haven't organized protests myself, but have protested on many issues, many times.

If it came to it, i would have no problem organizing one..... i have helped out people doing it, so I'm sure it would be doable.

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 07:19 AM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

So if you have no problem doing it, yet you haven't done it, is that because you don't think there is anything worthy of protesting happening right now? What would it take for you to do it?

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 07:33 AM
link   

Well as i said, i do protest, i just don't organize them.
I'm not with greenpeace or anything and i'm not out every week protesting either... just when i hear of something or get invited to something that is dealing with a cause or issue i feel strongly about.

I have to say, since the anti-iraq-war one in london a few years back... i probably am less protest orientated now...which is a shame.

I just don't think it makes a difference on some issues which pains me to say, but i really don't.

Over a million marched on that day...and what did we achieve...?
Nothing.

I still sign petitions and certain things i will still voice my concerns and opinions over.

like an asylum center in my town a few years ago... and Fox hunting thing a while back (anti-hunting obviously).

what is it that you think i should be protesting in particular?

[edit on 5/10/08 by blupblup]

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 07:39 AM
link   
YES ORGANIZE a protest, a peaceful and wise one. I think there needs to be a good plan and need to widely disseminate knowledge. if millions of people would unite this awful government would have no recourse or choice. One thing would be good though to advise and discuss in all police department stations everywhere and also someone in all areas of the military to stand behind the freedom of all Americans and if the government is wrong, their moral duty is to protect people not the evil government, i believe I saw this is in the constitution, but not sure. I also feel maybe get people in high up involved who we know for sure is for truth and for America. Famous people, intelects, persons in media (honest ones), sane scientist, writers, movie stars, singers, Oprah, if we could get all the good people and millions of regular folks it would work. We would have to get rid of everyone in the white house, they all poisened each other. Probably a handful is OK, I know that RON PAUL would be, I am voting for him for President, writing him in. I hope you all will do the same. McCain and Obama is the same clan as the rest of them. All fluffy, eloquent words of a politician. Yes Organize, if RON PAUL don't get in. This Governments actions are now to be accounted for!!! They have gone too far!!! People should say Enough is Enough. Write a book of direction, address all the important folks and send them a copy and explain. We'll see who the real Americans are if they back us up. Address the police departments, the military to be prepared to be lied to to carry out their evil oppression. I am with you. But we can't do it alone, we have to have millions to back us, the only course we have is in numbers they can't deny or control and especially if all important people have the guts and love for America to back us up. They don't need more money or fame, hopefully they need their soul and freedom. GO, GO, GO

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 07:41 AM
link   

whoa whoa whoa whoa... This is my thread and I'll ask the questions here, thank you very much!

It sounds like you are doing your part. I applaud you for that. I guess my perspective is one from a US point of view. Where the Patriot Act and erosion of civil liberties have created an environment where people are too afraid to protest and even more afraid to organize a protest.

It doesn't sound like things are all rainbows and kittens in the UK right now, but I couldn't say there is any one issue that I think must be protested over there. Maybe the outrageous fines on the trash cans or the lack of control of the knife / youth / "chav" problems. I couldn't give one particular thing though.

Again, I am mainly venting about the state of affairs in the US. So, I guess I am living up to a stereotype here.

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 07:52 AM
link   

Ok ok, i tried to interrogate you but i failed miserably

but, i do try and do my bit, I'm relatively active in my community and do try and do what i can to help people out.

I just feel now that protesting in general has almost lost it's power.
as governments have become more corrupt and more insistent on their views and wants and needs, then that leaves us somewhat stuck for ideas...

Maybe mass boycotts or mass non-payment of x y or z bill or tax would make them listen.... who knows?

Any ideas?

er... that's not a question by the way

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 07:58 AM
link   

You can't fool me. I know a question when I see one and that MOST CERTAINLY was a question!

Honestly, I am feeling especially apathetic today. So it probably isn't the right time for me to come up with a way to bring down the system. I honestly feel that the deck is so stacked against us at this point that we are simply along for the ride. This bailout has really killed the last shred of faith that I had that the people will be listened to if they speak out in significant numbers. The people spoke and they were ignored.

Maybe I can sleep on it and if I wake up feeling optimistic, I can come up with a good idea on how to change the world. We'll see.

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 08:07 AM
link   

I had a thought occur to me. Perhaps (and here I will go off on an extremely large tangent) it is possible to accelerate the process of space exploration in the private sector and ultimately set up a base off-world (Mars perhaps, the moon is closer though but within missile range) and use that as the basis for 'starting over'. Build upon that base (terraforming as we go) and implement the new resource based culture there.

Like I said though, that is a wild tangent I'm going off onto. I'm basing that off my previous thought of wanting to get the hell off this damned god-forsaken planet.

[edit on 5/10/2008 by Kryties]

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 08:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

Maybe, but the only people with the power and finance to pull off such a a feat are the same people that have created / exploited the wonderland that we currently live in. I am not holding my breath.

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 08:14 AM
link   

I just send an E-mail to congress and gave full rights to be posted on the congress bulleting board.

I called the congress corrupted, and nothing more than lap dogs to corporate America and the global bankers, I am worry? actually I am not, I am angry!!!!!!!!!.

I have not means to start a protest and neither organized, but if is a massive protest in this nation that will include state level, I will gladly join at my local level as I am far away from Washington.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join