It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do Avatars Offend, Scare, or Kill

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 03:26 AM
link   
I was wondering because almost all of them are pretty dumb and feature someone doing something pretty dumb.

but are they makeing fun of people doing dumb stuff or are they just being dumb?

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 05:38 AM
link   
Well, my avatar is taken from a photo of Ludwig Wittgenstein, a 20th Century Austrian philosopher. He's posing for a fellowship he was awarded at Cambridge University in the mid to late '30s. Would that be dumb?

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 06:07 AM
link   
How did you go from "Offend, Scare, or Kill" to "Dumb"?

Can they scare or kill..of course not.
Can they offend..well definitely yes.
If you put up a swastika and WHITE POWER on your avatar it's going to offend people.
That would definitely be a DUMB thing to do.
Everyone just puts up what influences or inspires them, or reflects their user name, or what just tickles their fancy at the time.
I have over 30 avatars that I have used over the past 18 months. Only thing they have in common is that I always pick females who look like me, and the themes are usually dark.
That's not dumb..it's just creative.
Did you wake up on the judgmental side of the bed this morning?

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 07:41 AM
link   
My avatar roars, hunts, climbs, eats, washes, and sleeps. Just doing it's own thing ya know.

Yes as AccessDenied stated, they can offend.

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 07:47 AM
link   
Lol you don't even have an avatar so you can't talk.

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 08:48 AM
link   
So most feature someone doing something dumb do they?

Really? I can't think of any that do that.

All I see are avatars that reflect the personality or ideals of the member in question.

Harsh statement, I have to say.

Peace,

MGGG

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Toromos
Well, my avatar is taken from a photo of Ludwig Wittgenstein, a 20th Century Austrian philosopher. He's posing for a fellowship he was awarded at Cambridge University in the mid to late '30s. Would that be dumb?

i dont know, i dont really understand graphics or advertising. I recently got mozilla firefox. and i got an adblock feature.

i wish i would have gotten it years ago because you dont know how many times i have broken something because of weird stuff on the internet.

I have always complimented myself on this website because the avatars were not really annoying at all. In comparison to every little thing on the face of the planet.

the weird thing is this- since i used ad block i have block images on all websites period. i mean all of them.

but its weird when you use mozilla and then block the images out there is like a serious balance thrown off. even the members of this forums i am a big fan of even their avatars look weird .

i dont understand it though i just had to tie my tress together in the backyard to keep weird reflections off my back window. that was weird.

like the plant arrange them selves to display weird stick figure animations in the window or weird japanese symbols.

i never notice it during the day. but with no sleep at all it gets old.

but like sometime to get back on topic when i see an avatar of someone dancing weird or something. it reminds me of stupid crap i have done before in public. but when you see avatars does it make you think of stupid stuff or are they just there to offend me period.

if i could mozilla tv and block out this hole hip hop vibe nonsense i would be eternally happy. forever it would be like 1999 all over again.

i used to think dragon ball z was the gayest crap ever but i think charlies angels have them beat.

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by PeaceUk
Lol you don't even have an avatar so you can't talk.

thats whats weird because i am kind of in the music biz for personal use but i cant find a good way to get people to check out my stuff.

because like if i go out and get drunk and come home and look at my website im always like what kind of stupid crap is this.

then if i dont make one i go through more crap from the folks than you can ever imagine. so tell me what is the reason for the harrasement over myspace.

then its also weird because like if i type stuff then people start running game and its like get over it or die. period. i dont do that crap to anyone so if someone has a problem with me and they make little smelly shadows dance around the house then i will kill them period.

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Missing Mosquito Man

No. Avatars are never dumb.

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 03:18 PM
link   
I'm happy to explain my hopefully nonlethal avatar! It's a painting I did of one of my pet opossums overlaid on one of my favorite things an old abandoned building, in this case a Russian farmhouse,but I love any abandoned location if it's a hospital or a factory a home a church I just love exploring them. I also love opossums and I've raised lots of them through the years. So nothing creepy or mysterious to see here folks! move along this is not avatar you're looking for

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Avatars are not intended to offend anyone.....hence the T&C concerning them on ATS.

I doubt if anyone could get scared from any of them posted here.

How the heck could an avatar kill?

Ask the question you couldn't ask in the first place, or is this just

let there be light........

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 08:27 PM
link   
My personal avatar is something that I created myself with a 3d graphics program of mine. It shows a ship design of mine. Sorta a SF spacecraft of my own. It sorta shows in a small way my wanna be engineer mindset that I have.

No Avatars can never kill, and the vast majority of them that I've seen on this site certainly don't show someone doing something dumb. In fact I find a lot of the Avatars here to be very thought provoking.

Yes some can be annoying but that is all in the eyes of the person looking at them. What's annoying to one person is great to another.

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 05:59 PM
link   
lol

I don't think my avatar does any of that

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 06:02 PM
link   
What was the question?

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

if my avatar can eat your avatar?

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 12:35 PM
link   
congratulations schroedingersdog! I saw your avatar ,and I died! laughing that is hahahahaha!

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by invisiblewoman
in this case a Russian farmhouse

I like your avatar, brings back old memories.

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by AccessDenied
How did you go from "Offend, Scare, or Kill" to "Dumb"?

I have over 30 avatars that I have used over the past 18 months. Only thing they have in common is that I always pick females who look like me, and the themes are usually dark.
That's not dumb..it's just creative.

Your avatars are more then creative, they're hot!

I really like the one you got right now

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by schrodingers dog
What was the question?

Hahahahaha, is that your picture for the calander?

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 06:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Russian soldier

I'm glad , I've never been to Russia but I love the fact that there is so much beautiful architecture there and I'm not just talking about the famous monumental kind ,I myself particularly love the humble cottages and towns and the beautiful detailed woodwork in some of them. Peace

top topics

join