It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will Europe return the favor?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 02:16 AM
link   
The US played an integral role in saving Europe from Hitler decades ago. The US not only provided military support, but provided economic support as well. For example, the US shipped food to Britain.

If the US slides into decline, will Europe return the favor? Will Europe help bail us out financially or even militarily?

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 02:36 AM
link   
Our financial institutions are struggling to survive themselves - not to mention our economy
granted our governments works a bit faster and have already saved banks - the management of those banks have been fired and will receive no bonus and the French president - Sarkozy, is organizing a European governmental congress to accumulate the money necessary to "save “the European economy

You will find that we Europeans are grateful for what the US did for us in WW2, we still honor your soldiers every year for their help and we care for the graves throughout the year

However Europe is 2 small to bail the US out, the only way we can help the US is by keeping our own economy at float subsequently allowing for the import and export to the US to continue.

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 02:52 AM
link   
reply to post by hotpinkurinalmint

Although the "help" was appreciated and still is, we did pay through the nose for it. Our Gold reserves were almost depleted come 1942, the US cheekily asked for the Caribbean colonies in exchange for some obsolete destroyers we wanted for convoy duty and we had to give up the Empire at the end of the War on the insistance of the USA so that they could then go in to our former colonies and exploit them themselves.

The US was the only country to turn a profit from the whole sorry mess. The UK only finished paying off the huge debt we owed to the USA in Dec 2005!!

Not only that, but for a significant while the US was leaning towards supporting Germany. It was only after a huge intelligence operation by the UK that we managed to "pursuade" US Senators, Congressman and other influential types that our side was the "right" side to be on.

All that, amongst other things....

So I think it is a bit of a leap to say you "helped" and make it out like you did it from the bottom of your hearts. You made a killing a set yourselves up for 50 years of Global dominance. Consider the favour returned, with interest.

EDIT: To add. If you do really need help, say if the Chinese/Russians come and have a go, then you know we've got your back, at least the UK anyway. I'd rather America be top dog than either of them two. It's just that using WW2 as an excuse to call for our help is a bit weak, considering what you gained out of it the first time round.

I just wish Yanks could let the whole "We saved your ass" thing go. It's been almost 70 years. How long can you keep trying to pull that one? We've been your best mate for almost a century, if not longer. How about some appreciation for the things we do for the US all the time?

[edit on 5/10/08 by stumason]

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 03:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by hotpinkurinalmint
If the US slides into decline, will Europe return the favor? Will Europe help bail us out financially or even militarily?

Considering that the US has made itself into the centre of the worlds commerce and that all countries economies are intertwined together, therefore the impact of the US financial crisis is felt globally. The US put the world into this mess, it is the US's responsibility to drag us out.

By the way the US entered the war for financial gain. They could have entered the war much earlier than they did if their intention was honourable but instead they sat back until they saw an opportunity to profit.

[edit on 5/10/2008 by Kryties]

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 03:36 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 05:18 AM
link   
reply to post by hotpinkurinalmint

becoming an Ally on the battlefield is one part of the equasion.

The USA began the 'Marshall Plan' which allowed Europe to rebuild their shattered economies

in this current finance swindle, the USA allowed the corrupt USA banker-elites to create fraudulently rated debt paper... which essentially has ripped off the present European communities fiat-money wealth,
perhaps there was an unspoken undercurrent of thought involved...
'America giveth, America taketh away'

If any 'favor' is to be returned... it should be in the vein of;
'pay-back is hell', the world community should not forgive & forget the latest american banker-elite fraud & swindle played out on the nations that once trusted in the faith & goodness of american intentions.
That high-minded character and reputation has been forever tarnished by the greedy banker-elites centered around the NYC Federal reserve who by neglect allowed the rampant fraud to excape from its homeland cage

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 05:33 AM
link   
I dont think there ignoring it - i would say they wouls embrace it - A one worls bank NWO!!

It could be have been constructed from the star - easy credit in UK and US?? /Raising AP rates and pushing loans - how many times recently have you been in your overdrafe and told every time you go into the bank -@hey, dod you know your eligible for a loan or Credit card - you will be better off' - even though they propbabably know you wont be, but as your in your overdraft you are more vulnerable, but bet your overdraft fee aint as musch as a load rate! Banks lending money on the back of subsidary mortgages, yes that part one where the US started the snoball - but the UK banks were just as responsible for buying into - it. You cant blame either side! However If it was a ploy from begin with to cause or to be the excuse that leads to NWO then i dont see theworlds elite fighting this do you?

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 05:50 AM
link   
There's been some great points in this thread so far and I'd have tried to have made them myself if other posters hadn't made them.

I'd like to add that I'd rather see America really try to help itself before others step into help. Cut back on your military-industrial complex and a chunk of your economic problems would be solved fairly quickly.

Also, you would stop contributing to a machismo-driven arms race and other countries wouldn't feel the need to try and match you. You've already got enough weapons to flatten the entire world, why build more? Because others are building more when, ironically, they're building them because of your own weapons?

[edit on 5-10-2008 by Merriman Weir]

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 06:19 AM
link   
Europe has been contributing. Since the 15th of September, the total liquidity injected into the markets by the ECB, the British, and the Swiss is well in excess of $500Billion.

That's what saved the US$ from being the new international standard for toilet paper, among other things.

I think the total of the Marshall Plan works out to something like $80 Billion in today's dollars, by comparison - a lot of which was paid back, in the form of loans and trading agreements and so forth.

I think the real question, now that Europe has stepped up (in addition to Japan, Russia, Australia, and a few others), will Americans actually acknowledge it?

Reminds me of the post-Katrina days. Americans shouting "why doesn't anyone ever help US?" - despite the fact that just about every country in the world had lined up with offers of assistance and aid. Why is that?

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 06:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by vox2442
Reminds me of the post-Katrina days. Americans shouting "why doesn't anyone ever help US?" - despite the fact that just about every country in the world had lined up with offers of assistance and aid. Why is that?

Indeed. After Katrina, the RAF and Royal Navy were there shipping emergency tents, blankets, ration packs and other odds and ends to help the USA.

Wasn't reported much, if at all, in the US media but it is well documented elsewhere.

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 08:31 AM
link   
reply to post by stumason

Stars for both posts,
, I certainly could not have put it any better.

However, apart from some military support I very much doubt we are going to be in any position to help anyone economically.

Yeah, Brown is more leftist than Blair and seems a complete incompetent but the alternative in Cameron fills me full of fear.
I do not want the well being and security of this country in that bufoons hands!

It is time to realise that traditional party politics has failed us, (or run it's course), and radical electoral reform is required aimed at electing 'the best', irrelevant of political allegiance, to deliver the people's will.

Sorry, may have gone slightly off thread.

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
Wasn't reported much, if at all, in the US media but it is well documented elsewhere.

I'm wondering whether this is a more general issue rather than specific to Katrina?

I know there's some incredibly well-informed and well-travelled Americans out there, but I think it is fair to say that many Americans have a 'localised' view of the world which is perhaps due to American media - which is an observation rather than a criticism and perhaps more an observation on the controlling effects of media (which eventually becomes history) rather than American people. Hence the idea that America 'won' WWII rather than Allies, and the idea that much of a lot of America's help was 'gifted' rather than loans, exchanges and business opportunities &c.

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 03:51 AM
link   
Just posting to say that it's interesting that the OP hasn't returned and there wasn't much posting on this thread given that it's still on the first page of the forum.

It's a shame as I thought it was a worthwhile topic.

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 03:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Merriman Weir

Typical really. Make a baseless claim thinking they are being smart and when faced with a wall of opposition and fact, retreat back into the hole from whence they came.

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 06:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kryties
reply to post by Merriman Weir

Typical really. Make a baseless claim thinking they are being smart and when faced with a wall of opposition and fact, retreat back into the hole from whence they came.

So much for 'denying ignorance' more like 'shying away from the truth'.

I suppose I shouldn't really expect any different, but I hope for different. I'd like to think ATS wasn't about the kind of claim and thinking that is seen with the OP; after all, I can get that from practically every other site on the internet.

top topics

join