It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Human remains found in Fossett wreckage

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Human remains found in Fossett wreckage

www.flightglobal.com

The US National Transportation Safety Board discovered body parts amid the wreckage of pilot and adventurer Steve Fossett’s Bellanca Super Decathlon today after the aircraft was found on a mountainside near Mammoth Lakes, California yesterday. Fossett disappeared the morning of 3 September 2007 after he departed a Nevada airstrip on a 2-2.5h pleasure flight. Investigators have sent the remains for DNA testing.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
So Ed Dames where is Steve Fossett?, page 1
The Missing Nuke and Steve Fossett, page 1
Steve Fossett Ventures Into Military Airspace - Shot Down ...
Steve Fossett is Alive in a Different Frequency!!!, page 1

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 09:58 PM
link   
Considering the sheer number of conspiracy theories on this site alone, evidently someone went down with that aircraft.

Hopefully the DNA test puts some of these ridiculous conspiracy theories to rest and provide some closure for family members and friends of the aviating pioneer.

If the tests prove positive that Steve Fossett had in fact gone down in that plane, will those who authored the threads and posts retract their statements and admit their mistakes? Or does the circus go on?

R.I.P. Steve Fossett, thanks for the memories.

www.flightglobal.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 01:35 AM
link   
I wonder how his belongings were found so far away from the wreckage. Makes you wonder if the remains are a plant and fossett isn't running some black ops program for the military?

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 01:45 AM
link   
I was thinking along the same lines. Good job.

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 03:07 AM
link   
I just wanted to add this latest news to the thread:

Officials: Fossett search may not resume this year

MAMMOTH LAKES, Calif.—Madera County Sheriff's officials say search efforts around the site of adventurer Steve Fossett's downed plane that were suspended may not resume until the summer.

Snowfall ended the search in the mountains of Mono County Friday, and Sheriff's Department spokeswoman Erica Stuart says she does not expect weather conditions to improve enough for search teams to return to the site this year.

But authorities say they completed most of what they needed to do Friday when they removed debris from Fossett's plane and found three more bone fragments.
The bone fragments, including a fourth piece found earlier, will be sent to a lab to determine whether they are human and a match for Fossett.

mercury news

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 03:21 AM
link   
Well it is sad news but not unexpected.

Assuming the DNA tests show it to be him, I hope this gives his family some closure.

At the very least, he died doing what he loved, adventuring.

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 04:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Illusionsaregrander
Well it is sad news but not unexpected.

Assuming the DNA tests show it to be him, I hope this gives his family some closure.

Sadly, I think it's a case of 'how much closure'? Even (possibly) finding his body, there's so many other unanswered questions about this.

Even if this is his body, I'm sure the 'what happened to Steve Fossett?' story doesn't end here.

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 04:14 AM
link   
I am shocked that they are suspending the searches till next summer.
Surely his wife can fund a private search if the cops aren't up to it.

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 04:16 AM
link   

Hopefully the DNA test puts some of these ridiculous conspiracy theories to rest

Depends on who is doing it and who is paying them, doesnt it?

[edit on 5-10-2008 by Copernicus]

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 04:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Merriman Weir
Even if this is his body, I'm sure the 'what happened to Steve Fossett?' story doesn't end here.

True, but when people lose someone they love, and do not have the body, many of them hold out the thinnest threads of hope that someday, by some miracle, their loved one may have survived, despite the odds. Even long after the rest of the world has given up all hope, and they themselves say they have accepted the inevitable.

At least having a body would put that hope to rest, with finality, so that they could grieve and move on as best they could. When someone dies, even if they are not famous and the subject of conspiracy theories, you often do not get the satisfaction of knowing specifically how, why, etc. Sometimes you just have to accept that part of it, as difficult as it is.

I am not really so worried about the "what happened to Steve Fosset" story as it pertains to us speculators. We dont love him the way his family does. No one here stays awake at night hoping he isnt lost and alone and suffering, hoping to be rescued. None of us cry ourselves to sleep because we will never get to tell him how much we loved him one more time.

Technically, this is just titillation for many of us, whether we like to admit that or not. Just another conspiracy among many. No matter what evidence is found there I am sure the circumstances of this mans death will provide entertainment for some for months to come.

For his family, this isnt speculative, or entertaining. It is real, and a really personal tragedy. It is for them I hope they get the DNA evidence they need. It is for them I hope closure is had. Everyone else can continue to speculate on whatever they like. I am not commenting in any way on the circumstances of his death and any possible "black ops" program he may or may not have been involved in.

I havent been interested in that aspect of it at all from the start. I have been more concerned with how hard it must be to not know if your loved one is alive or dead.

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

We just got our first snow fall for the season, a light dusting in the mountains. In a few months the wreckage will be under about twenty feet of snow, you think they would get as much handled now before the snow starts falling and compromises the crash scene.
Yes, I understand it's a year later and there has already been 20 feet of snow on it in the past, but it still seems like there is time and it's being wasted.

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Well, I guess that throws any hope he survived out the window.

... damn. I suppose one way to look at it is, he made his mark on the pages of history... something not everyone gets to do.

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Is this the guy that was apparently in a different dimension?!?

Didn't his wife call off the search? After he came to her and told her he was OK? Is this a different search or still the same one and it was never called off?

Oh well, either way, RIP.

EMM

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by johnsky
Well, I guess that throws any hope he survived out the window.

... damn. I suppose one way to look at it is, he made his mark on the pages of history... something not everyone gets to do.

Think about all the feats this man had accomplished over the years. Imagine the courage it took to "strap it on" so to speak, time after time after time. This man did things that would have the rest of us pissing in our pants, and in some cases, he did it solo!

It wouldn't surprise me one bit if the only thing they found in the wreckage of that plane were his balls. I don't say this to be crude or disrespectful to his memory, family, friends, or fans, but that guy had a pair that could only be carried around in a wheelbarrow.

I salute not only his memory, but those who do it day in and day out for the better of all humanity. For those about to rock, I salute you!

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 03:25 PM
link   
The original missing thread had local people coming in and
wondering what happened.

Apparently there was a storm.

I don't know how good the FAA flight control radar is but
when you call in your flight you should get the weather conditions.

Remains doesn't sound too promising but the id might close the case.

The N number has yet to be identified the last time I was on
another thread.

Fossett is now among six other crashes that were found a year ago
in the search.

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by TeslaandLyne
The original missing thread had local people coming in and
wondering what happened.

Apparently there was a storm.

I don't know how good the FAA flight control radar is but
when you call in your flight you should get the weather conditions.

There's a saying up here in the Sierra's, if you don't like the weather wait a few minutes, it'll change.

On the day of my first flight lesson we took off at about 11am with partly cloudy skies. 30 minutes later rain, then sleet, then snow. We tried to fly over North Lake Tahoe but couldn't gain enough altitude to make it over the summitt at Slide mountain, the wind kept pushing us back.

The flying up here is pretty challenging, having a weather forecast is helpful but mother nature has her own plans sometimes.

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Okay the authorities are confident they found Steve Fossett's remains. Move along, your authorities know best. Nothing to see here, peasants...err citizens.

I have sensed a cover up since day one of this whole mystery... How long has it been? Like 2-3 years? And with all their sophisticated spy satellites that can zoom in from space on a single person running through the streets of new york city, they can't find plane wreckage?

This guy was a rich guy. They could have pooled resources and contracted military technology and personnel to help find him. I find it odd that this has been three years or whatever in the making and somebody just happens to "stumble" upon some wreckage and some remains and magically it's Steve Fossett because they say so. I don't trust media or authority to tell me the truth about anything. Paranoid suspicion? You bet.

Either way, if he's alive somewhere, obviously he doesn't want to be found yet, if at all... and if he's dead, he's dead. I've just had a strange and suspicious interest in this guy's disappearance for some reason, so I find this all too convenient of a story.

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by dunwichwitch
Okay the authorities are confident they found Steve Fossett's remains. Move along, your authorities know best. Nothing to see here, peasants...err citizens.

I have sensed a cover up since day one of this whole mystery... How long has it been? Like 2-3 years? And with all their sophisticated spy satellites that can zoom in from space on a single person running through the streets of new york city, they can't find plane wreckage?

DWW, It's been one year! And to use your metaphor... It would be like looking for a wheat penny on the streets of New York City from a spy satellite. Until you've been in the Sierrra's and have seen the vastness, you simply cannot comprehend why it took a year, or that they found him at all. In the year they spent looking for him, I think they found 5 or 6 other missing (and presumed dead) crash sites.

This is one of those times I think the CT community is going to have to chalk it up to an actual event. Show the man and his family some respect and move along.

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by dunwichwitch

Have you ever been in that area? Ever stepped foot on it? Ever flown over it? Do you know for fact that it would be easy peasy for a satellite to narrow in on a destroyed wreckage and remains of a body?

Sorry, but there have been PLENTY of people here and all over talking of the terrain and how easy it would be to never find the wreckage or him ever again.

And basically no DNA proof would satisfy you either?

Hm. Well, sometimes people want to believe something sooo bad, that no matter what evidence is provided they will still deny the truth.

Sometimes the truth is not a conspiracy at all. Not everything is a conspiracy no matter how much you (in general) want it to be

[edit on 10/5/2008 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Well we can't say if the wreckage was located earlier.

Although perhaps one year ago there was a report of hikers
discovering something.

Perhaps 'hikers' were not hikers but a search party with
good instructions.

Then the problem with this conspiracy is why hide the body.

So the official story is solid.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join