It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Women genetically less intelligent than Men?

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Genetics is a major factor, I was adopted and have an IQ that is extremely high and... lord knows my parents did not.

And... I would also add IQ and functionality do not go hand in hand, it was extremely difficult growing up far more intelligent than parents and siblings.

With that said, the mind thankfully is a... flexible thing, I have yet to encounter the part of myself I couldn't change, grow, expand and shape to be as I wished.

I am not suprised that govt attempts and educational attempots to raise IQ fail, but that IQ can be raised by your own efforts in any given area no one should doubt.

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by mopusvindictus

Ok, you were adopted. What about those of us that weren't and have significantly higher IQs and "smarts" than our parents? Both of my parents went all the way through college, passed, graduated.....but my IQ and intellectual learning ability is much greater than theirs.

I was in the gifted classes all through my education, started college during my junior year of highschool, and graduted early with honors.

So, if genetics plays such a role in intelligence, shouldn't I have been pretty much on the same level as my parents? Or, since I was afforded opportunities like private school, smaller classes, and certain environmental factors in my educational upbringing, does my environment play more of a role than the genetics I was born with??

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by abovethegod

Above the god got the point. The holy Bible is his proof! Do you hate God? LOL!

If that all is true, women have no souls...

interesting...

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by dukeoftheusa
Hi!

Direct answer: yes! they are! look at the history! why is this thread?
moreover, god created a man, not a woman. woMAN is an artificial creation of space aliens. that`s it!

hi duke! space aliens?

Who knows for sure, but I think they are created by God. Aliens created a woman? lol ...

Hey.. thats why female beings have no souls ... they are alien made? orrect?

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Why must certain people try to turn this into a sexist issue.

Do people not have anything better to do??

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Double post

[edit on 10/5/2008 by skeptic1]

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Ghost147

Hat's off to you for bringing this thread into the forum!

Gutsy, but I empathize with your trepidation...

In the end, relax, it's only an intellectual exercise with cyber-acquaintances.

As for the assertion/question that is represented in the title, I can only ask;

Is the meaning of 'intelligence' being bandied about here 'commonly accepted'?

It seems to me that it is a rather vaguely defined quality, in the larger scheme of things.

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

I don't think we have come up with an accepted definition of the intelligence the OP referred to.

Not a one liner....

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Ghost147

There have been plenty of men who couldn't attend school either. That was usually reserved for the white elite.

And still in many cultures, both men and women have to drop out to work.

So really, the amount of education or lack of, had nothing to do with it. And education isn't just about a school setting. There is much for a person to learn without ever stepping foot in a school.

Even though women didn't attend schools, they were the ones who ran the homes. They were in charge from the roof to the basement, the finances, the farms, the workers, everything. The men earned the money and talked about politics. So even tough women didn't go to "school" they still had to be trained to be managers of an estate, and that was no small task. it would be the equivalent of single handedly managing a large hotel.

So education isn't limited to "school". And many women would still learn behind closed doors.

I admire abigail adams because she taught herself, and was a very intelligent woman.

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Well... I don't know about what the "scientific data" say... All I know is that my daughter scored the highest they had seen on the kindergarten entry exam... She answered every question correctly except she called the "q" (small cue) a "p" (small pee).

And personally, my experience is that both men and women are bright in the same percentages.

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Over time those humans who are innately intelligent as well as those of book smart type intelligence will prevail no matter the living conditions in which they are living.

We pass on all sorts of traits to our offspring, and learning capacity is but one of them. problem solving skills, speed of comprehension, emotional intelligence and more are all part of a big picture we call intelligence. If deficiencies in any of these areas started to prevail through a genetic family line then the offspring would begin to take avoidable risks resulting in harm or death.

And behind every great man in history their was a mother who likely did her part to inspire such greatness and I doubt many of them were useless idiots.

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 02:25 PM
link   
the genes for intelligent are theorized to be on the x chromosomes. If this is true, then boys would get their intelligence from their mothers. Women have two x chromosomes (xx) and men have one x chromosome and one y chromosome (xy) This would make sure that through the generations women could get their intelligence from either their father or their mother, and men would only be as intelligent as their mothers.

Thus this theory that men have evolved greater intelligences does not hold any credence.

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 02:37 PM
link   
It doesn't change the fact that once the IQ quotent is passed, the brains in development stage begin wiring themselves in a different way, with womens wiring creating a more unified use of both hemispheres, wheres mens circle back and enrich the left side of the neo cortex, in terms of math and spatial, which is true apparently in studies with some primates. This is a certain amount of specialization of the species. In practical terms however, the differences between the middle range in IQs is not noticeable, but IQ tests tend to measure the spacial mathematical intelligence so by these standards there are 5 times more male geniuses, at IQs of 150 or more than women. But the women who do have those high IQs seem to outperform the men due to their added fluidity and neuron pathways, so perhaps nature just would have deemed it an unfair advantage for too many to be born in relation to men.

In school, women perform better and learn faster.

Edit to add: also, IQ should measure different types of abilities. Its not completely meaningless in regards to how well people perform, but its true meaning is how fast your processor is,not whether its mathematics and science, versus psychology and sociology. And by the way, there are many women in science, and many male sociologists and journalists.

[edit on 5-10-2008 by mystiq]

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by lucidtruth
the genes for intelligent are theorized to be on the x chromosomes. If this is true, then boys would get their intelligence from their mothers. Women have two x chromosomes (xx) and men have one x chromosome and one y chromosome (xy) This would make sure that through the generations women could get their intelligence from either their father or their mother, and men would only be as intelligent as their mothers.

Thus this theory that men have evolved greater intelligences does not hold any credence.

if that were true (not dissagreeing), wouldnt that meen that humans would gradually become dumber because we (men) have refused women for so long to be taught through schools?

I do agree that IQs are, to a degree, transfered genetically, however i believe more strongly in the increase of IQ during life is more powerful. I, also being adopted, was born from a 15 year old girl. accidents may happen yes, but your intelligence has to be viewed somewhat when you have a kid when your 15. i believe i was raised propperly, as i see no difference between man or woman, black or white, and so on. I see people as equal, and consider myself one of the few that do, unfortunatly. However, me being raised by an intelligent family, who knew how to raise a child propperly, to my understanding would have made a larger effect then my birth parents. correct?

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Not even time to read this thread, But I can tell you with certainty the premise is flawed and the conclusion is a sign that whomever made any such determination knows nothing about the subject of intelligence.

Without going into an educational mode I'll just say that Men and Woman are the same in different ways. You figure that out and you will be on the right track.

Loose whatever science book or article this is from after noting the individual so you know later they have no credibility.

Really low intelligent question really, but indicative of the general uneducated and therefore low understanding masses. Sheesh!

No star as I don't want to encourage such drivel.

ZG

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 04:03 PM
link   
In my own personal opinion, I view basic intelligence as a potential. As an analogy, consider musical talent. A child with little innate musical talent (potential) could begin piano lessons at age 2 and never rise above being able to play reasonably well. Another child might be born in a 3rd world country with the potential to be the next Mozart, but if he never sees a piano his innate potential will be completely unrealized.

I do believe that the intelligence "potential" is largely genetic. My biological father was a genius. Of his three offspring, 2 of us are geniuses and one is only somewhat above average in intelligence. However, as with the musical talent, the potential for intelligence means nothing if it is not trained. What was the potential of a child raised by dogs who never learned to speak a language? Probably no less than the average child, but without training the potential is never realized. Some tribal savage who makes his living by spearing animals in the jungle may have a higher potential intelligence than a guy who has two advanced degrees and some fancy letters after his name, but we'll never know since the savage never received the training to make use of his potential and must settle instead for being his tribe's most cunning and successful hunter.

Now on to "evolution" and how it applies here. If a woman is born intelligent and suffers brain damage at age 20, then has a child at age 24, will the child be born with less intelligence potential because of the brain damage? I say no. The child genetically will reflect the potential the mother was born with. In the same manner, a child born to a woman who has high potential intelligence but was never educated will also receive his mother's potential; his inherited potential will not be lessened by her lack of education.

The principle of evolution says that animals which are better suited to their environment are more likely to survive to reproduce. If a particular trait has no bearing on survival, it will not be "selected" for or against. Human beings utilize this principle with animals. They artificially select the animals they want to breed based on a desired trait, and thus successive generations of animals have more of the desired trait. For example, the original wild bird which was the ancestor of today's chickens did not lay an egg every day, or even close. Generations upon generations of selective breeding have been necessary to produce a chicken that lays (almost) every day. Color is irrelevant to the trait, so laying chickens come in many different colors. Thus we have horses who run faster, dogs who are smarter or smaller (but generally not both IMO
), cows who give incredible amounts of milk compared to their ancestors, and so on.

Now, my point. In order to postulate that women have been "dumbed down" by generations of repression or lack of education, one would have to assume that men have selected women for reproduction based on lack of intelligence. Do you think that is true? I do not, for two reasons:

1) Without education or training, it would be difficult for a man to assess the potential intelligence of any particular woman, thus it would not have been an obvious trait that he could have selected for. Thus it would be, in an evolutionary sense, an "irrelevant" trait like the color of a chicken which would carried through the generations more or less randomly; selected neither for or against. I think that in many cases men selected women for reproduction based on appearance, social standing, family connections, compatibility, etc. - not for intelligence or lack of it.

2) I think that, when a man was able to have an opinion of a woman's basic intelligence, it was expressed in terms of her success at "womanly" tasks such as raising children, keeping the household running smoothly, being able to keep up her end of an interesting conversation, adaptability to changing circumstances, and so forth. Thus I think it likely that men chose in favor of intelligent women despite lack of formal education because their basic potential intelligence caused them to be more successful in other more "acceptable" areas of their lives.

Therefore, I conclude that women are not genetically less intelligent than men; education and training have little or no bearing on the genetic passing of potential intelligence. Furthermore, even if men HAD preferentially selected "stupid" women for reproduction, the potential intelligence of their MALE children would have been adversely affected just as much as the female children, thus still leaving men and women equal (but dumber).

Conclusion on the OP: FALSE.

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZeroGhost
Not even time to read this thread, But I can tell you with certainty the premise is flawed and the conclusion is a sign that whomever made any such determination knows nothing about the subject of intelligence.

Without going into an educational mode I'll just say that Men and Woman are the same in different ways. You figure that out and you will be on the right track.

Loose whatever science book or article this is from after noting the individual so you know later they have no credibility.

Really low intelligent question really, but indicative of the general uneducated and therefore low understanding masses. Sheesh!

No star as I don't want to encourage such drivel.

ZG

Damn! The only purpose for me to make these topics is to receive a star from you. My life is now empty...

Obviously I don't know a thing about the definition of intelligence, until after the people who actually took the time to help me understand, unlike you who didn't even think it would be at all reasonable to help another being, but intend merely insult. And, it seems that many people, in fact most people in this topic did not have an exact definition or understanding of Intelligence precisely. I even stated in the original post that I [I]was[/I] Ignorant about the topic, there-for made this topic. Simply because someone doesn't know something that you might, doesn't make them a complete retard as you implied.

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Has the OP had his balls cut off yet

Cos' you got some saying that.......didnt your moma teach you right boy.

*Goes and reads the replys lol

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
There have been plenty of men who couldn't attend school either. That was usually reserved for the white elite.

I just love it when blatantly anti-white racist statements are thrown around with casual abandon and then remain unchallenged. The majority of the world is non-white, in non-white areas of the world higher education was limited to the non-white elite.

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by N.B.A.Y.S.O.H
Has the OP had his balls cut off yet

Cos' you got some saying that.......didnt your moma teach you right boy.

*Goes and reads the replys lol

Actually the women on this threat seem to understand what im getting at, and respectfully answer the questions and debate. The Men that have replied (some of them) are fairly dissrespectfull, cant get past the idea of sexism, and generally state what they think without much background information. which ironically is what has been said would happen because of the structures of the male and female brain. awesome.

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join