It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bounce Marks from Opportunity

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2004 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Out of the Crater view

In this image taken by the Nav. Cam, you can make out 3 bounce imprints. With only 1 big rock within miles, guess where Opportunity bounced? Right on the Rock! I bet JPL will take a long look at this interesting feature especially because it's been "dusted" off and it's on the way to the big crater "Endevour". Well, that my take on it.

posted on Mar, 24 2004 @ 02:41 PM
link   
I'm sorry, but I don't see the bounce marks, atleast not clearly I don't think and I certainly don't see the rock you are speaking of.

Sorry.
Lukefj

posted on Mar, 24 2004 @ 02:55 PM
link   
luke, can i ask who that guy in your avator is please?

He really pisses me off everytime i look at him!

posted on Mar, 24 2004 @ 06:56 PM
link   
How does one place a foto from my disc here? Seems like only links can work.

posted on Mar, 24 2004 @ 10:11 PM
link   
vp: click on the 'tutorials' link along the top of the page, it shows how to upload to your ats upload space and how to put images etc into your posts.

posted on Mar, 24 2004 @ 10:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by triplesod
luke, can i ask who that guy in your avator is please?

He really pisses me off everytime i look at him!

I looked at the properties on his avatar and it took me here.
www.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Mar, 24 2004 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Its this www.bbc.co.uk...

No more discussion of his avatar in this thread though please, take it to BTS Members forum if you want to discuss it further.

posted on Mar, 24 2004 @ 11:57 PM
link   
Well...

Looking at the pic, I can make out one possibaly two imprints, one on or beside the rock, the other to the left of the rock ( the one to the right of the rock could be an inprint, who knows )...

My question is what's your point, or what are you getting at ? please explain more...

As to whoever is the dude in the avatar, him and his uncle Andy, wouldn't last as long as a fart in a tornado in Kentucky...

posted on Mar, 25 2004 @ 12:54 AM
link   
I think vparks was just pointing out the irony of hitting the only rock as far as the eye can see.

Not that it was any sort of challenge for the airbags. Look at the crap Spirit had to bounce over. Now. What would be more ironic is if the only rock around was a big pointy one and the lander hit that.

Adds to the amazing fluke of landing Opportunity right into the crater though. Only needed three course corrections on the way there (out of a par 5), bounce off the rock and straight into the hole for an Eagle. Tiger Woods would be proud.

posted on Mar, 27 2004 @ 08:49 AM
link   
Another View

This Pan Cam Image seems to indicate a near miss! But I still think this rock will be examined by the Rover for 2-3 days. Could have been ejected from the large crater "Endeavor" in the background. See original posting.

What's my point? It doesn't always have to be something "controversial" does it? This is just an interesting observation.

The Rock does look very much like the Heat Shield at Bonneville Crater by Spirit landing site! But I know Nasa has already identified some other location for the heat shield.

posted on Mar, 30 2004 @ 11:59 PM
link   
Now Opportunity is going to have a look at the rock. Cleverly dubbed 'Bounce'.

marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov...

new topics

top topics

join