It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nuclear event survival chances

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Those carts are based on just 1 bomb at a particular yeld going off.

If any do go off, you can bet your nuclear atom that it wont be just 1, but hundreds going off, each of different yeild and each having their respecitve "reach" of destruction.

Now even if you were to survive such a disaster, would you want to be around trying to find uncontaminated food, water and ground so that your not irradiated by the leftover radioactive contamination that will be abundant and in everything that would be left???

Id rather not be.

Cheers!!!!

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by In nothing we trust

Hi ,this excellent scientific ´docu-drama´ screened in Britain in 1984 does a comprehensive job of detailing,in a scientific context,what people would expect if nuclear weapons were used on a civilian population.
Its not a pretty picture and shows the various problems that would occur including starvation,nuclear winter,canabalism and deformed births.
www.abovetopsecret.com...
Cheers Karl

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Northern Raider
Providing you survive the blast ( just like surviving a blast from any bomb) and you get into shelter before any fallout starts to fall you have a reasonable chance of surviving.

This may sound like a stupid question, but if you are far enough away, say 15 miles from a 10kt surface blast, do you think you might be able to hop in your car and outdrive the fallout?

[edit on 5-10-2008 by In nothing we trust]

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by RFBurns

Now even if you were to survive such a disaster, would you want to be around trying to find uncontaminated food, water and ground so that your not irradiated by the leftover radioactive contamination that will be abundant and in everything that would be left???

Id rather not be.

Cheers!!!!

It would be nice to be able to take the easy option , but as I said to a nice lady only a few weeks ago who hoped the bomb kiled her outright, What about your three schoolage children?, who is going to care for and protect them if she died. We have aduty to survive to help save our families. Radiation, fallout etc does not fall is an even manner, it falls where the wind blows it and where the rain washes it . There should be huge area left untouched by fallout or other contaminants. Now back in the 60s 70s and early 80s military nukes grew and grew in power because of the problem of hitting the target from the other side of the world. But modern nav systems mean nukes can be ( and are ) much smaller weapons designed to hit targets much more accurately. where once the soviets needed multi megaton weapons to reduce a target, they can now use kiloton sized weapons. Plus most weapons are now airburst not ground burst so fallout is much less. At the end of the day a nuke is just a big bomb, and people have more to fear from NBC threats than they do from nukes.

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 11:53 AM
link   
reply to post by RFBurns

No it wont.

Radiation has a very short halflife.

Hell, you eath Fruit & veg that you buy from the grocer..., odds are, it has been irradiated.

Secondly, Canned food, will not be effected at all.

Radiation is a long term killer, unless the dose you get is extremely high "like sitting in the reactor room of a nuclear Sub , with the rector opened"....lol

But initial shielding from a nuclear blast, can reduce the number of rads you recieve "hiding in a ditch or behind a rock". Don't get me wrong..., you'll still die a horrible death. But it will take you decades to die, not weeks.

Hiroshima is also a good example. There were people who survived the blast at nearly ground Aero & also survived having fallout fall all over them & even survived contaminated food & continued to survive into the Decades after.

Many eventually died of cancers & other diseases, but the long term survival rate was quite high.

But the deformaties in children born after the blast was the biggest issue. that is something to worry about in the event of a Nuke war.

Well that & getting caught on the crapper at ground Zero & having nowhere to duck & cover too...

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ironclad
Actually, during the Cold War, when the US was testing Nukes on Live US Soldiers to see if they would survive & be able to continue fighting....

A platoon of US soldiers were "actually at 1000m distance from ground Zero" & had to duck for cover behind a rock & those that could not find a rock to get behind, had to lay flat on the ground.

They all survived & then continued their manouvers onto & beyond the actual Blast sight.

I remember something about that.

Do you have a link to a source?

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Ironclad

The fallout fades pretty quickly depending on your surroundings, if you live in a rainy area, most will be washed away within the first rainfall.

The intial blast even from the largest nukes will not effect you 20 miles away, I would not look at it when it goes off, you will go blind unless you have welders glasses on.

What this guys was talking about was a nuke in Chicago, i live avout 50 miles away and upwind of any direct chicago blast, so I just wont look it.

The other he mentioned was LA, the mountains will contain it there, dont live in socal or anywhere around LA. The most obvious is New York, just pull a cargo ship, yachet or large fishing boat right into harbor and blamo!

I heard that texas was also a target, since a bomb could have been brought in from mexico.

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by stinkhorn

It does not 'wash away'. The fallout IS the rain. You can always tell because the rain will most likely be black or darkened in colour. Drink it and you'll die. Get it on your skin and you'll die.

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Ok here is the deal.

If a nuke goes off, and you see it you are not dead, and you have a good chance of getting out of it in one piece, un-radiated, and un-injured.

It all depends on the size of the bomb, your distance from the explosion, and the cover you have at your disposal.

If a 1 MegaTon bomb goes off, you need to be at least 15 miles away with good cover, or you are dead. Radiation heat and blast will kill you if you are directly exposed. You need to be 30 miles from a blast that big to have a chance if you have no cover. The EMP will roast every mode of transportation for miles and miles. You will probably have to walk to get away from the fallout, and you need to get at least 100 miles away, fast. Even then if the wind blows the wrong way you are still screwed. 1MT is a typical ICBM warhead from russia. Most target cities will get hit with multiple 1 MT warheads in an all out nuke war.

If a 10 KiloTon bomb goes off, you could easily survive just 3 miles from the blast. As long as you had a little cover, and got away from the fallout. You will need to get the heck out of dodge fast though. The EMP from a 10KT bomb that detonated on the ground will not travel that far, I don't know exactly how far, but any hills or mountains will disrupt it. The EMP from a 10 KT bomb detonated 1 mile above the ground, could travel 100's and 100's of miles. The EMP from a 1 MT bomb detonated 300 miles above North America would shut down the entirety of North America.

Your best chance to survive is to be outside the blast radius. Then to get outside the fallout zone as fast as possible. If it is too late and the fallout is coming where you are fast, you can still survive. You need to get the maximum amount of concrete between you and where any fallout will be laying. After 2 days the fallout will lose a good % of it's radioactivity. So if you can seal yourself in a parking garage, or basement, or fallout shelter you MIGHT be ok.

The trick is knowing when and where it is going to happen. That's where ATS comes in.

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Those who post in these threads about the certainty of death in a nuclear war are doing an extreme disservice to the survival minded, "i'd rather die" It would be unliveable...

It seems like every two weeks someone posts about this topic a new and each time I go in and write up the how to survive...

The nuclear winter will be the hardest nopt the fallout, it really if understood is not very difficult to get around

admitedly you will need shelter for 2-3 years but you'd actually be walking into a paradise beyond that in many places.

Every reason in the world to want to survive

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by SteveR
reply to post by stinkhorn

It does not 'wash away'. The fallout IS the rain. You can always tell because the rain will most likely be black or darkened in colour. Drink it and you'll die. Get it on your skin and you'll die.

Boy are you wrong on that point, ther fallout is not rain fgallout is created when the nuclear fireball comes into contact with the earth and picks up millions of tons of materials from the ground, it is this material that is irradiated by radio isotopes and becomes fallout, Most modern weapons are air burst weapons and do not come into contact with the ground and dont create fallout.

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 04:10 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by mopusvindictus

You are right about an all out nuke war being survivable. You are wrong about the fallout. I don't think there would be a nuclear winter.

I think that at most nuclear war is going to be very limited to a few cities at most. Getting away from the fallout is critical.

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Northern Raider

Yup. That material combines with the atmospheric moisture and forms black rain. That is what happened at Hiroshima. Like I said, fallout does not 'wash away' with rain. The rain is contaminated, it is part of the fallout.

[edit on 2008/10/5 by SteveR]

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 04:23 PM
link   
You just need shelter and safety for the duration of the Nuclear Winter

Beyond that the earth will be washed clean...

In a true Nuclear exchange of large to massive proportions Nuclear Winter will set in, in under 2 weeks...

Most of if not the whole planet is going to freeze

But

within 1-2 years of that time the sub that can pierce through the clous but not escape will cause global warming...also rather rapidly once it builds up...

So everything gets frozen, all the fallot is going to be locked down... almost everything living in which radiation has entered the food chain, animals etc... dies...

then it gets hot and it all melts flooding everything and washing it all down stream and out to the oceans, the melting caps will flood 90% of the worlds cities that have been bombed puttingb them and all those dead zones under the ocean...

it won't take but a few years for those heavy particles to make thierway to the very bottom of the ocean floor... now the irradiated factor being a fraction of a centimeter from source... or, no worry to us

A 1950 post-bombing study by the aforementioned Committee in Hiroshima examined the regeneration of vegetation in the hypocenter. Here, with help from the heavy rains a month after the bombings and the open space created by the leveled built environment, vegetation more numerous than pre-bombing was recorded

This is when the irradiated seeds, not in dead zones sprout... massive rapid overgrowth...

Leave your shelter after 3 years, so long as you were at elevation, so you don't end up underwater, welcome to the garden of eden

People mostly talk of the immeadiate effects of radiation on plant life, but truth be told the irradiated seeds sprung up quite a bounty of mutated plants outside of impacts sites... plants and mutation works alot faster and tends to be a much higher frequency of useful mutation than organsisms and seeds can freeze for a few years in most cases thaw and sprout...

all you need is to set yourself up with a very solid shelter, well away from targets... have a well for groundwater built into it, that water will be fine... radioactive particulates will not reach down in most cases given the short time until the freeze and a stockpile of food...

a few years later you walk out

as a hint, given the nature of storage of food...

Earth Worms... feed them your trash and grow a a couple dozen beds of them... make great burgers ground up...

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by downtown436

Hey well... I'm all for optimism, but plan for the worst

Sadly, I small nuclear war would be more dangerous for those who are prepared

a few cities and dead zones... leaves People running around in large numbers and they can be more dangerous than anything, nuclear winter won't break down your shelter door looking for food, nor would fallout

I am referencing a full nuclear war and results

In your scenario... I'd say your best survival strategy would be to have your shelter completely unobservable from above ground and still stay in it for some time

Because even the hiroshoma blast threw particulates as far away as the artic circle... much harder to avoid radiation when it's hardly noticeable than when it's falling from the sky and you know to suit up when you go outside...

a limited nuclear war would make it seem like there was no radiation... in some places but really you'd likely being comforted by your eyes inhale more particles invisably than when actively guarding against them...

and then... the Earth doesn't go through a cleansing process

I would honestly feel more likely to survive and end up in a better world if we nuked it hard enough for the Earth to Band aid itself...

a Limited nucear war while survivable doesn't make things better, just worse...

I sincerely hope if we launch we do it hard enough that... we go into freeze down, because that process will replenish the Earth and fairly rapidly...

the limited scenario is survivable, but not in a very plesant world

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by SteveR

Why are you insisting on this as a definitive, your correct but for a very short time frame after a nuclear war...

In full scale war this is 10 days tops... then it snows everything down as temperatures plunge... the heavy particles and dust will hit ground in those conditions long before all that water vapor falls so in 2-3 weeks you'd be able to snag fresh water for a short time until percipitation stoped as it got ridiculously cold...

when the melt begins the amount of rain would be catclysmic with that much ice melting simultaneously, all of it would be fresh water

Not picking but, the Black rain won't last very long...

sort of both right... yeah there would be Black Rain... but yes the Percipitation firt as snow and ice then as torrential rain will wash down most of the surface of the earth and out to sea...

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 04:59 PM
link   
So if all this is really true which It by the way isn't then by the way how come are there islands that were used as test sites in the pacific 40 years ago and still arent inhabitable. Wishful thinking is one thing but reality is another! Yes you can survive a major nuclear exchange but you may not want to be amongst the living. The consequenses are not for the faint of heart.

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 05:37 PM
link   
In an all out nuclear exchange between the US and Russia, cities are targeted with multiple strikes, ie New York might get 5 bombs instead of just one. You might have the slimmest chance of surviving a low yield ground burst, but surviving what would probably be staggered multiple bombs would be zero unless you were several hundred feet underground in a bunker. Also, the Russians opted for more powerful weapons instead of more accurate guidance systems, so the Russian bombs have a bigger destructive footprint. In addition I remember reading somewhere that some of the russian mirvs contain among other things, weaponized smallpox, to kill any possible survivors. Also when you consider the amount of fallout in the air, along with toxic smoke from anything and everything that is burning from the attack, it would make survival pretty much impossible. I think the only way one would have any chance of survival is if you were able to make it to an extremely remote area, say the Canadian Rockies. And even there you would have the fallout to deal with, as well as any other desparate soul who would make it there, who would probably kill you for a box of matches. Scary.

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by In nothing we trust
I think it's gonna be 10KT

How big of a package would that be?

Anyone else want to make a guess as to the yield?

[edit on 4-10-2008 by In nothing we trust]

A 10kt package set off in NYC would obliterate the city, take out parts of NJ and would also take out Staten Island and parts of Long Island. The fallout would be even worse.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join