It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Posting Election Flyers in School legal?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 07:18 PM
link   
I know that staff at school are forbidden of doing any kind of religion or politics pursuantion. By this I mean that they can not tell students what to believe.

I know that it is legal for students to do this very thing though.

The bottom line is that I'm sick of everyone's brainwashed ignorance, I'm sick of listening about Obama and McCain as well their running mates.

Is it legal for me (a Senior) to print a mass amount of fliers and post them around the school, persuading people the truth and the only real person worth voting for?

Is it legal for any staff to take down these fliers or even deny the ability to do this.

Would I have to ask for permission?

Thankyou, and I live in Washington State

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 07:20 PM
link   
Don't high schools have "young republican" groups and such?

Kinda moot point really as high school students can't vote.

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Being in high-school does not restrict voting in any way, as many seniors this year will reach 18 before the election.

Our school has no such thing. Plus, even for those who can't vote, its a good way to start opening peoples eyes, and those who are persuaded will attempt to persuade their families.

By doing this, it will indirectly target all the grades as well as the staff, I intend to exersize both the rights of students and staff as well as exploiting the restrictions to remove, deny, or dis persuade by staff in any manner. All rights ill post in fine text at the bottom of the fliers in one way or another.

I realise that any staff offended by this will attempt to have it removed, I realise ill have to logically remove any loop holes. Students and some teachers at my school won't appreciate it if they see students rights being removed before their eyes.

I know this seams like a far jump and i'm not doing this because I feel all patriotic and such, its mostly because I'm sick of listening to everyones ignorance.

This is far from vain imo

[edit on 4-10-2008 by Scarcer]

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 08:09 PM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

a lawyer told me when i was in high school (8 years ago) that my constitutional rights stopped at the entrance. i live in alabama but i would suspect it is this way everywhere. Lame i know, but if we allowed what you are talking about at high school, it would be a circus atmosphere sometimes due to people abusing the right. i think you should join an extra-curricular course dealing with politics to further your cause in this matter.
publius

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 08:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Enigma Publius

Very true what your lawyer told you. The moment your on school property, you forfeit your rights. That is why they have the right o search and seize your backpack at the entrance if checking for bombs, and such.

That's why they have the power to forcibly hold you at school.

It is a loophole in the justice system. It says somewhere, (not quoted), that by attending school, you forfeit your constitutional rights. It also says that it is mandatory to attend school.

What guy wanted that?

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Maybe true but unless it says in plain text that I can't do this, then I'm still doing it. And I'm defiantly not taking a course in politics, even if our school had it, even the Current World Problems class at our school which is required for seniors is biased and misinformed.

As cliche as it is for me to say as a teenager; and coincided I know:

I'm not easy to dumb down, peer pressure doesn't apply to me, yet I can be mislead just like anyone else.

EDIT:
Well after reading the guys above, I'll keep that in mind. A friend of mines dad is in the school board as well, I'll take it up with him on what the rights are.

But at the same time, you have to realize that I'm talking about rights that supposedly directed at public schools. Staff can't persuade politics or religion, but it's legal for students to among themselves.

The only way I can currently possibly see myself getting in trouble for is if they count the fliers as a lame form of graffiti.

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 08:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Scarcer

all the more reason for you to join! schools need more students like yourself to get involved in those type of programs and classes, you have the chance to open peoples eyes! yet if u go against the system for your cause, you may achieve an effect opposite of what you are seeking. You see, if you are portrayed as a "trouble maker" then those nice WASPY young republican white privelaged american students will likely not consider wnything you are trying to say as credible. this is a game of sorts, you have to know how to play it, know what i mean?
edit to add: they would only have to say the posters are a distraction to other students, then you could be held accountable. i know how these "snip" think. use the system against itself my man, THEN you will really be helping the cause.

[edit on 4-10-2008 by Enigma Publius]

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 08:28 PM
link   
Ah, i just realized, in theory, wouldn't it be difficult for the school to directly target a group of people; preferably with no negative history?

Also I remember on the news about a school that got a kid in trouble because he wrote a paper about how he would kill the principal (though said that he never planned to, just did it as an essay or something). If i remember right, the school was humiliated and suffered the most in the end. Unless memory fails me.

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 08:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Scarcer

how could the school be humiliated in that case? i was picked on a lot in school, and i remember having some pretty malicious thoughts about the other students sometimes, but i never went so far as to write an essay on it, when you grow up and have children who attend school you will see how anything of that nature has to be dealt with promptly for the safety of all. i can get on board with a lot of what you are about, and i hope you are not defending that kid and the paper in question. outside of school he can do any of that, but if my kids is classmates with a cat who is writing papers about it in class, i would want that kid expelled.

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 01:12 AM
link   
The kid didn't do it because he was mad, simply out of creativity as far as I understand. We all ponder about strange realities one way or another, some more than others.

Maybe Humiliated isn't the right word, maybe what I meant is that the community supported the kid because they believed he had the rights. Words on paper aren't the law, its the people who enforce it, law makers to judges, from police to the community as a whole.

I understand that if something bad did happen that because of the nature of the flier that the media would not give it the light of day to talk about it, maybe the local news paper or channels at tops if it was taken that far. And I know for a fact that some of the teachers at my school would stand up for the students 'rights' wither they believed in the cause or not. And since our school is tighter knit than most schools (I've attended multiple schools, I know what its like) the students would not be very happy at all if they felt that the school did not support what they felt were their rights.

They come into the school realising that the staff has the right to search lockers and bags if they are suspected, but if they see something tremendous happen, alot of kids with big mouths will make a big deal about it. Over all the school would have to be punished as a whole by the government.

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 01:28 AM
link   
Well I know this got a bit off topic,

1. If we were to do the fliers, how could we appropriately go about doing them? While staying honest and truthful.

2. In the Current World Problems class, you bet that we cover types of governments and politics, the problem is that all the class work is focused on news, as well as misleading text and movies that retells the same stories that are stuffed in peoples brains. The closest I've seen to honest truth was a brief article covered in class in groups explaining how a foreigner blames the US for causing conflicts among the different people in the countries we are at war with. I do attempt to leave subliminal messages, preferably targeted to the teacher. The only hint of success I received was something i wrote down along the side of a worksheet, I wrote something about not relying on the media alone and the teacher wrote beside that "Great Idea, media is only one source!", not sure if that did any good.

So, what would be your ideas for effective actions to bring people to truth and promote true free agency of the mind?

I always love input from my elders here.

[edit on 5-10-2008 by Scarcer]

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 01:39 AM
link   
If you were to pursue this, I would suggest ensuring that both your state of mind and your flyers are not biased, and that they both offer equal amounts of valuable information that allow for young people to make informed decisions regarding both parties.

BUT.

There are many young people that wish they were the age of majority so they could vote. Considering this medium, you may not have to promote voting in most high schools to begin with. Many adolescents have already made up their mind regardless of whether they can legally vote or not, and won't be swayed by a piece of paper. They do have access to the internet and databases full of information, in addition to how THEY feel about the candidates and their program. Your flyers will *most likely* go ignored.

I graduated in 2004, and I don't think opinions have changed much regarding politics in most high schools.

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 02:48 AM
link   
by saying both, I understand that you believe that I'm still stuck between the democrat vs republican deal, far from that, I promote the idea of doing away with both of them together.

Or when reading between the lines I'm under the impression that your in that state of mind, still stuck between fat peanut lover vs jackass, yes maybe I seam wrong to dis them, but nothing positive can be said about either, regardless of what they say and promise.

I promote the TRUE free agency of thought, the ability to appropriately and critically judge everything you see and hear. Do you have an open mind, or do you simply say your mind is open for blind concidedness and close off all topics you don't agree with while having NO deep understanding.

I promote exploiting the truth, how the media is biased and making people question their own ability to think, "why do i believe what i believe?"

People look at the media as law, as truth. While looking at someones opinion or reading someones input in the form of a post, for this site as example and thinking that person has no common sense at all.

Most people don't have the common sense to realise that the media input and someones opinion amounts to one in the same, just one is aired on tv and the other you find being whispered into your right ear by the person beside you.

The president and even candidates make amazing speaches promoting 'good 'n grand' while people cheer with feelings of positive judgement and feelings of patriotism. Blindly fallowing the goodwill words of the leaders while ignoring the fine print of the actions taken, often actions that don't make sense, but then suddenly ignore it because they feel that everything is fine; nothing will happen and that theres other 'problems' at hand. "War on terror, war on terror, war on terror, vote for McCain!-WAR ON TERROR!" "Change! Change! Change! Homes! Wealth! Obama says he will do this!"

What do these people do when they are elected? They ignore all the issues they were voted for, infanticide, tax, money, common sense, truth, constitutional rights. They go for what they were hired by the guys in back for.

Want My truth on why I'm not being biased and promoting free agent of thought and critical thinking?
-When ever you tell someone anything you think is the truth, tell them
"Don't be ignorant and believe or shun what I say, don't believe my facts, go find them yourself"

[edit on 5-10-2008 by Scarcer]

top topics

join