It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

750K jobs loss do to IP piracy, but who really knows?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 07:12 PM
link   
blog.wired.com...

Declaring that 750,000 Americans are out of work because of intellectual property piracy, the U.S. Chamber of Commerce is urging President Bush to sign legislation creating a cabinet-level copyright czar to oversee expanded IP enforcement efforts.

but where does the data come from? apparently, that's a little confusing:

But the origin of that 750,000 number -- which was included Thursday in a Chamber of Commerce lobbying letter (.pdf) to the president -- is a mystery.

or:

In an e-mail, chamber spokesman Alex Burgos provided a link to a Sept. 21, 2005 statement from then-Commerce Secretary Carlos Gutierrez citing the 750,000 figure.

or maybe here:

And then there's the same number again appearing on a 2007 joint U.S. Department of Commerce-U.S. Chamber of Commerce press release. A link on the press release goes to the Commerce Department's trademark division dealing with small business. Atop the website is this flash message we captured with a screenshot:

so onto my point.
they want you to panic so the bill can pass without much question, here's the trend: Piracy is wrong, it's costing you money, it's a form or terrorism, let us protect you, we have to act quick and it just so happens i have a bill ready for those of you patriotic enough to vote for it!
i think this is BS. now that americans have so much more access to more and more media, i think MORE creative jobs have come about, just not executive position jobs. Agressive pricing is the only way to rreally fight piracy, and it is not working. However, as someone said:

In America, DVDs average $15.00 - cheaper than a sandwich for dinner. DVDs fly off the shelves here and are included in the checkout isles of Walmart as IMPULSE items.CDs by comparison are around $15.00 also - the problem? 45 min (or less) of music does not compare to 120 minutes of full motion video plus extras. To remain competitive, CDs need to charge a price point in line with movies. About $5.00 US. Albums cost less to produce than movies. Albums have more potential buyers than movies. There is no way that the music industry can justify their current pricing structure.If the music industry drops their prices, pirates will abate. CD sales will climb. Revenue will increase. Don't believe me? Ask anyone in high school economics.

most people i know only pirate songs or movis they son't like enough to buy the whole album of anyway, and would never had paid full price, but they want real copys of the bands the really enjoy, all piracy has done is give a sub-par band more exposure than they would have otherwise gotten. i argue that piracy has improved many ways of american life instead of hurting it. many bands i have paid for a cd of because i first checked them out for free to see if i liked it, then bought the album, they would never have got my money otherwise i would not have risked it.
let's name people who have lost jobs due to piracy, now let's name who would lose them because of Wall St Piracy...hmmm.
The biggest copyright thieves are the distribution companies themselves. Ask any musician, author, or creative person. they are trying to make this huge absurd number to scare us just like the bailout bill number.

oh, on the software side, how many jobs have been *created* because young poor people were able to download photoshop and learn it like they never could've if they'd had to buy every copy the right way? same goes for any other high-end pro-product.

so even on the tech and software sid, this number of 750K out of an estimated ~1 mil media jobs, that just can't be right, it's inflated. i'm not an economist, can someone enlighten me as to who will lose big and who will gain the most on this bill?

new topics

join