It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Predict Russia/US Action Against Pirates

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Why is Russia involved in this? Shouldn't Ukraine be? It appears this is a Ukrainian ship so why is a Russian ship there? Anyway, the pirates should know better then to board a Russian ship since we are quite ruthless, and don't take it easy on enemies.

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Russian soldier
Why is Russia involved in this? Shouldn't Ukraine be? It appears this is a Ukrainian ship so why is a Russian ship there? Anyway, the pirates should know better then to board a Russian ship since we are quite ruthless, and don't take it easy on enemies.

Yea you're right it's a Ukrainian ship but it did have 2 or so Russians on board, but I guess Ukraine is too weak to get their own ship back.

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by rufusdrak

Originally posted by Russian soldier

Yea you're right it's a Ukrainian ship but it did have 2 or so Russians on board, but I guess Ukraine is too weak to get their own ship back.

Ah, ok, that explains it.

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 09:44 PM
link   
2000 marines on the way?
www.cargolaw.com...

While unconfirmed, it is believed the USS Theodore Roosevelt (CVN 71) and USS Monterey (CG 61) are making their way up the east coast of Africa, while the USS Iwo Jima (LHD 7), USS San Antonio (LPD 17), USS Carter Hall ('___' 50), USS Vella Gulf (CG 72), USS Roosevelt (DDG 80), USS Ramage (DDG 61), and USS Howard (DDG 83) are all thought to be in the area. While this is the most powerful air, land, and sea combination anywhere in Africa, it is the submarine the pirates can't see that should have them worried. The USS Florida (SSGN 728) is thought to be in that region, among other submarines usually deployed.

Not good for the pirates.

posted on Oct, 12 2008 @ 06:58 PM
link   
reply to post by ANNED

Who cares how much comes their way. Those pirates will be facing either Russian or US Special Forces. They might aswell just shoot themselves right now.

This ship will be stormed by either Russian or US special forces. While it would be a great global image if both these countries did a joint operation, judging by their current relations I doubt it. Also a joint operation would need both sides to be able to cooperate well with each other, and I'm not personaly aware of SEALs and Russian Naval Spetsnaz working together much.

The reasons why I think the ship will be stormed and not blown out of the water:

#1. Its a Ukrainian ship. Unless Ukraine gives US or Russia permission to sink one of its already few vesels, it won't happen. Russia certainly will not do this, because then Ukraine will most certainly blow such an action out of proportion about evil Russians not caring for Ukrainian lives - Ukrainians are on board. Someone mentioned that there are some Russians are on board, so neither would the US attempt blowing the ship up for the same reasons.

#2. 33 tanks + ammo is expensive cargo. I personally believe this to be an undercover arms deal, and the people behind this will pull all strings possible in order to not loose their merchandise. Weather I'm right or wrong about the arms deal, the owners of the cargo would pull all strings at thier disposal in order to not see their tanks become aquariums for Somali marine life.

#3. The show. A successful spec. operation such as this one is a heck of a prize. A chance for US or Russia's Spec. Ops. to show what they've got.

#4. Politics. If the US saves the ship's crew and the cargo, they could finally act like they've actually done something for Ukraine besides back them verbaly over the years or declare Ukraine many things which it isn't...a country with economy at world market level for example. If Russia pulled this one off it would be a heck of a slap in the face of Ukraine for the kind of politics they've been running towards Russia, as well as a chance for Russia to say "see, we're nice to you" kind of thing.

That's my opinion, without going in depth into this matter.

To RussianSoldier:

Ukrainian naval vessels would not find it easy to haul all the way to Somalia...I don't even think they're capable of this atm. Ukraine does not have a special forces unit capable of carrying out such an opperation successfully to say the least. Ukraine is currently in a poltical crisis, and the politicians over here couldn't possibly pull their heads out their backsides for just brief period of time to get this issue solved, instead of bickering over who gets to fly on what planes (refering to recent issue with the president and the Ukrainian PM). In other words you hit it right on the mark - this country is in too much of a mess to handle such matters itself.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join