It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Muslim MP becomes justice minister

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Muslim MP becomes justice minister

www.guardian.co.uk

Britain's first Muslim minister, Shahid Malik, has been promoted to the department of justice as part of Gordon Brown's cabinet reshuffle.

The Dewsbury MP, who is currently a minister for international development, said he hoped to make Britain "a more just society" in his new role as a minister in the department for justice.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Who knows, maybe our new Justice minister will benefit Britain but I can't help think that many people around the world will be wondering whether Britain is going to be a part of the Muslim nation sometime soon.

Consider that we have just given way for Shari'ah law to decide civil disputes, we have a Muslim Council of Britain and we now have the newly appointed Muslim Justice minister.

I'm not bothered what someone's religion is as long as they keep it out of politics and law. Will our Justice minister do this? Will he be impartial with regard to religious disputes?

I can hear the clock ticking. It sounds like the thudding of the British people's hearts faced with these threats to their way of life, history and culture. It will either end in furious uproar or a mortal heart attack.

www.guardian.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 4/10/08 by Rapacity]

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 01:24 PM
link   
To be fair, he does say
in this guardian article,

"While I have truly loved my international role working to deliver justice for the poorest around the world, I'm now relishing the opportunity to make Britain an even fairer and more just society for all its citizens,"

I hope he does well in his post. And I congratulate him in getting so far in Britain's "multicultural" society. He's done what so many British people have failed to do. He's making a difference. My hope, is that his difference works for all members of society and not just a selected chosen few.

His voting record as taken from TheyWorkForYou

* Has never voted on a transparent Parliament.
* Voted very strongly for introducing a smoking ban.
* Voted strongly for introducing ID cards.
* Voted very strongly for Labour's anti-terrorism laws.
* Voted very strongly against an investigation into the Iraq war.
* Voted very strongly for replacing Trident.
* Voted for equal gay rights.

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Does Britain have a law calling for a seperation of Church and State??? If not, they you people are in deep doo doo.

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Brothers

We're not secular. At least, I don't think we are. We've only just gotten rid of the crime of blasphemy (few months back).

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Whats wrong with the fact that he is a Muslim? Unless he does something wrong I can see no harm in this. Also considering the way he has voted he is obviously not a hardline Muslim in the slightest.

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 02:09 PM
link   
No, the UK is not secular ... remember their is STILL a law on the books that prohibits Catholics from being members of the Royal Family and on top of that the British monarch also is the head of the Church of England.

I also believe that all government officials were required to be members of the Church of England for quite some time as well though I imagine that law has now been repealed.

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by BBTBE

There's nothing wrong with his being Muslim.

The concerns I have are routed in the notion that giving the Justice ministerial position to a Muslim so closely to Shari'ah Law being given legal consent for solving civil disputes will send a message to both Muslim and non-Muslim alike. That message being that Islam is on the rise in the U.K and that Muslims have more rights than non-Muslims.

The message is false but that will not matter. There are many gullible people in this world and some Fanatics might assume that the supposed war being waged by Muslims against the "infidel" Britains is being won.

I foresee a backlash from some sectors of British society and a forward push from others. And not just from within the U.K. I want to be wrong but I doubt I am.

top topics

join