It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alaska's Governor - What Happens?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 12:01 PM
link   
This is not a thread to discuss Sarah Palin, her qualifications or her actions in pursuit of the Vice Presidency.

It is a thread to discuss what happens in Alaska after the Presidential Election.

On August 29th, 2008, Sarah Palin wrote a letter to her constituents in Alaska regarding her choice as the Republican nominee for VP. In the letter she says that she will continue to lead Alaska for the next two months. She is either hopeful in her election to higher office, or she does she plan on returning to her duties if she loses. The way it is written sounds more like a letter of resignation effective 2 months from August 29th.

www.gov.state.ak.us...

“It is the honor of my life to represent you as your Governor, and over the next two months I will continue to do so. As the mother of five, I know how to multi-task, and I will continue to promote the path of reform that we set out on together in the state of Alaska.”

Does anyone here know her intent if she is not Elected VP?
Does she still plan on serving as Governor of Alaska?

If she plans to resign from office if elected VP, does the Lt. Governor take control?

I wonder the same thing for the other candidates, and the Senate, but I have not found any remarks made where any of them set in writing any sort of timeline for their original elected offices.

DocMoreau

(edit for grammar)

[edit on 4/10/2008 by DocMoreau]

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 12:06 PM
link   
if she loses the election she will return to alaska and finish her term
when she wins the election her lt governor will take over for her, he should be running things as a proxy right now with her advising him over the phone/internet.

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Fathom

Interesting.

Do you have any information that says that is her intent, or is that just 'what is supposed to happen'?

DocMoreau

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 11:49 AM
link   
If She loses she simply returns to Alaska to finish her term...

If Mccain wins however, its a totally different story. I assume theyll do what theyve always done: have a radio DJ offer it to the lucky caller lol

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Secret Shadow

Are you sure that she just returns for her term? Do you have anything to back it up?

It seems to me like she has already given her resignation.

I also wonder how her action (or I should say lack of action) regarding the Troopergate scandal going on would play into things. I wonder if she loses the big race, and tries to come back, and they don't want her anymore.

She seems to have burned a lot of bridges lately in Alaska.
No pun intended.
DocMoreau

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 09:00 PM
link   
Two weeks from the election, and I still have not found one credible source that says that Sarah Palin intends to return to her job as Governor, regardless of the outcome.

I have reread her 'resignation' and I still can not find anything that says she will return to being Governor. Perhaps it is just a case of wishful thinking, that the McCain-Palin ticket is destined to win. But I would think that with the way that the polls are looking, that Palin should be considering what the future holds for her.

I have heard numerous pundits talking about Palin in 2012 if Obama wins, but with all the disclosures about her time as Governor of Alaska, I am not sure she is even qualified for that job, let alone a run for President.

Anyway, I would appreciate if anyone has a link to something definitive or substantiated regarding what happens to Palin if Obama wins.

DocMoreau

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 08:04 AM
link   
One week away from the election, and it looks more and more like the McCain/Palin ticket is going to lose. With the recent convictions of Alaska Senator Stevens, combined with the light that has been shone on Sarah Palin's time as Governor, Alaskan Politics has become very interesting.

I still wonder if Sarah Palin is planning on returning like nothing happened, or if the people of Alaska even want her back after all that has occurred.

Before she was Governor:

From 2003 to June 2005, Palin served as one of three directors of "Ted Stevens Excellence in Public Service, Inc.," a 527 group designed to provide political training for Republican women in Alaska.[73] In 2004, Palin told the Anchorage Daily News that she had decided not to run for the U.S. Senate that year, against the Republican incumbent, Lisa Murkowski, because her teenage son opposed it. Palin said, "How could I be the team mom if I was a U.S. Senator?"[74]

en.wikipedia.org...

I am still looking for confirmation either way.
DocMoreau

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 08:17 AM
link   
reply to post by DocMoreau

Hell, if Alaska didn't want her back (and why wouldn't they), she can come govern my state.

I'd kill for some conservative leadership around here.

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 12:14 PM
link   
I did hear some of the pundits talking about the Ted Stevens conviction, and describing the best possible scenario for keeping the Dems from 60 seats in the Senate. One of the pundits, and I apologize for neglecting the network or name, said that perhaps Sarah Palin will self-appoint if Ted Stevens wins tomorrow, and then later resigns.

For now it is all conjecture, but it would be an ironic turn of events if Sarah Palin became the new Senator from Alaska as a consolation prize for losing the Presidential election.

I am looking forward to more information from my fellow members to flesh out this thread in the next 24-48 hours.

DocMoreau

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 06:13 AM
link   
Ya, Bush's Lt. Gov. Rick Parry picked up the slot when he went to POTUS.

Fathom is right I mean. Why did I post?

Maybe she is saying that if she loses the election she is going to give up politics to be a mom full timeish again?

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 06:33 AM
link   
If McCain/Palin loses, she's going to try to take the helm of leadership in the party. Myself I'd rather it not be somebody wou'll pander to the supposed base and someone that adheres to true conservative values and can run on them. I was born to late to admire a man like Goldwater and however good a president I think Nixon was, he screwed over his party and gave it up to the Neo-Cons/Religous Conservatives with his tom foolery.

But back to Palin, she seems to power hungry and oppertunistic not to try and claim the helm of the Republican party. It'll be like Reagan in 1980, if Obama turns out to be another Jimmy Carter.

[edit on 4-11-2008 by djpaec]

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 07:17 AM
link   
I think Alaska will collapse, the usa will collapse
and the world will collapse...my 5 year old kid would be better
governor like this ###

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Palin returns to Alaska, urged to mend fences

ANCHORAGE, Alaska (Reuters) - After two months sharpening her conservative rhetoric on the U.S. presidential campaign trail, Gov. Sarah Palin returned to Alaska a star in the Republican party, but weakened at home where people had known her as more centrist.

Palin's "pit bull" campaign persona and her strident pitches to the conservative base of the Republican Party were a stark contrast to her nonpartisan, populist style as governor, leaving raw feelings among some Alaskans, experts said.

Palin returns to day job as governor

ANCHORAGE, Alaska, Nov. 6 (UPI) -- Gov. Sarah Palin returned to Alaska, telling a group of supporters she would reach out to President-elect Barack Obama on a number of issues.
The Republican vice presidential candidate also said she was looking forward to returning to her job of running Alaska and promised to work to expand development of the state's oil and gas resources and be a voice for families, such as her own, that have children with special needs, The New York Times (NYSE:NYT) reported on its Web site Thursday.

Palin returns to Alaska to chants of '2012'

ANCHORAGE, Alaska (AP) — Republican vice presidential nominee Sarah Palin has returned to her home state of Alaska, where she was greeted by dozens of supporters encouraging her to run for president in four years.
The crowd chanted "2012! 2012!" as Palin disembarked her airplane at the Anchorage airport. Asked by reporters if she might run for president, Palin said, "We'll see what happens then."

I guess she is home, and they are happy to have her.

I have to admit, I am please with the outcome as well.
DocMoreau

[edit on 6/11/2008 by DocMoreau]

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 02:06 PM
link   
I guess in the long run, Governor Palin had experienced too much on the National Stage, and had outgrown Alaska, much like I predicted. I was wrong that she decided to make a go of it after her ticket lost.

DocMoreau

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Well, short answer is it's Alaska who even cares? How often do you ever hear anything about them? If it wasn't for Palin Alaska would never get talked about in the lower 48.

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by jjkenobi
Well, short answer is it's Alaska who even cares? How often do you ever hear anything about them? If it wasn't for Palin Alaska would never get talked about in the lower 48.

The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Alaska is the largest US state, and is over 18 times the size of your state of Indiana. Alaska is the second largest oil producing state in the US, accounting for 20% of all domestically produced oil. Alaska accounts for 62% of the US commercial seafood production and would have ranked 9th in the world if Alaska were and independant nation. Alaska is home to North America's tallest mountain and the world's 3rd most prominent summit (Mt Mckinley).

From a personal standpoint, Alaska is one of if not the most beautiful state in the US (if not on the entire globe.) It is also this country's greatest natural resource and finest wildlife collection, with Yellowstone sitting in a distant second place. I'd go so far as to agrue that anyone who says "who cares about Alaska?" has lost touch with what this country was founded on and with what the concept of pioneering, freedom, and frotierism are all about.

I'd take one "who cares" laid-back Alaska over all the tightly strung New Yorks, Californias, and Texases combined.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

new topics

top topics

join