It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

God was wrong?! Not biblically possible.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 10:13 AM
link   
This is more of a question towards Christianity, rather then the disproof in god. i myself am an atheist, so im going to "hell" anyway for not only not believing in him, but also questioning him and his power, so please don't state that...

Now! I, as well as many others, may have stumbled upon something. Was God wrong? Not in the sense of his existence, but in the sense of his actions.

As most of you have noticed in other categories on this forum, many animals, invertebrates, and vertebrates are quickly disappearing off the face of our planet, Earth, also created by god (in some minds). Some people don't see how serious this is, even if a single Genus under a single Family under a single order disappears, it could spell desaster for our planet. An unbalanced world.

Lets take for example the Great White Shark. Every year many of them travel far distances to reach an ever shrinking food source of anchovies. When the anchovies come for breeding season, a large amount of predators, including, but not limited to; birds, dolphins, sharks, man, and other fish. The population of anchovies is also radically decreasing.

Besides the rapid loss of food, the Great White Shark, as with most other animals, has the worst enemy of all, Man. Man is constantly hunting animals for skin, food, clothing, or simply collection. We destroy habitat, we pollute the air, we even have killed mass amounts of corral by the slight increase in global temperature because of our effects on the planet.

What does this mean? Lets say we manage to succeed in the destruction of yet another species, The Great White Shark. what happens?

The loss of a major predator would be catastrophic. Eventually leading into an explosion of population in other predators. such as jelly fish. eventually the entire oceans may have the horrible possibility of becoming unbalanced and in correct. possibly also killing of a numerous amount of other species simply by having a newly populated predator in the waters.

Leading back to my original question. Was god wrong?

in many believes, creationism suggests that God created man, as he created many other things, or possibly all other things. But was Man a mistake?

If Man is one of the leading causes in the depletion of all these species, along with polluting the air, the water, and the earth itself, not only that, but the overuse of natural resources, some that we can never re-gain, the abuse of deforestation, and so on. Wouldn't that mean that god made a mistake in creating us?

or! If God did create us for a reason, wouldn't it be to destroy this planet? if so, why?

metaphorically, we could very well be gods eraser. It may not have been us that was the mistake, but earth? maybe God needs us to fix is misfortunes by distroying our own planet?

so, i want both atheists and theists to answer these questions as they have had me pondering for quite some time. thanks for taking the time to read my rant. Happy posting!

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 10:17 AM
link   
You have an obvious flaw in your logic and that is that there have been many species to have gone extinct and the world has continued to survive. Nature adapts, hence, evolution.

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 10:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Ghost147

Good question... but I actually agree with ninthaxis on this. And I use to be a Christian, but no longer believe in any organized religion. So my mind is open. I just think that the world has been here for a VERY long time, with man as it's inhabitant, and though there are obvious issues with the planet, all is well. So to speak.

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 10:40 AM
link   
right, but it would usually be a small amount of species at a time. arent we reaching a point to which a massive amount of species and families are being extinguished?

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 10:40 AM
link   
right, but it would usually be a small amount of species at a time. arent we reaching a point to which a massive amount of species and families are being extinguished?

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 10:43 AM
link   

You started the thread by saying,

even if a single Genus under a single Family under a single order disappears, it could spell desaster for our planet.

Are you changing your argument now? As I understood your point of view, you claim that one species being gone would cause a great imbalance, causing destruction for the world.

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Still don't know what you're asking, was God wrong about what? If species die, so what? Species have been going extinct since forever. We've already had like 6 mass extinctions in the past, and if we're on the 7th so what? Whether we caused it or not is a nonfactor imo. God creates everything and guides everything. Do people think God cares more about the oceans and forests than he/she cares for humans? That makes no sense. To heck with all those things, they don't matter. What makes you think that deforestation, pollution, and the disappearence of species a bad thing?

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 10:47 AM
link   
oh right good point, lol.

then yes, i guess i missjudged my thoughts.

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by ghaleon12
Still don't know what you're asking, was God wrong about what? If species die, so what? Species have been going extinct since forever. We've already had like 6 mass extinctions in the past, and if we're on the 7th so what? Whether we caused it or not is a nonfactor imo. God creates everything and guides everything. Do people think God cares more about the oceans and forests than he/she cares for humans? That makes no sense. To heck with all those things, they don't matter. What makes you think that deforestation, pollution, and the disappearence of species a bad thing?

yes i realize that, but acording to creationism, we all of a sudden just came to being a few thousand years ago. which seems to completely illiminate the very existance of the mass extinctions.

and i do agrea that it may very well be a good thing, however, if god does exist (which i dont believe he does), wouldnt that meen that he made a mistake, and needs a mass extinction?

bassically im wondering if god made a mistake, which is supposidly impossible acording to the bible. cause gods dont make mistakes.

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Your question is misguided, GOD is not at fault for the stupidity of humanity. The more we know about ourselves and other technological inventions the more we want and therefore we are destroying ourselves.

There are plenty of humans that want the best for humanity but the fact of the matter is that those people are over shadowed by the power of ambition.

God is our guide not our brains, what we do with ourselves and Earth is up to us and not him. When we finally WAKE UP we will see that GOD had nothing to do with extinction of other species, including ours.

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 11:15 AM
link   
The idea that the world is only like 4000 years old or whatever is a bit fruity imo, so I don't go with the "creational science" ideas. Creationism is sort of misleading because it only looks into fundementalist Christian ideas, but forgets other religious ways of explaining the world. Like the example above where they try to prove that the world is only 4000 years old. The Hindus believe the world is billions of years old but "creationists" are dead set on their own beliefs which really have nothing to do with creationism, but trying to support Christian predetermined facts. Of course, most Christians don't think the world is 4000 years old but that doesn't take away from their faith.

I really don't know how to answer the second part of your question. God making "mistakes" and God "needing" are qualities I don't attribute to God.

"GOD is not at fault for the stupidity of humanity."

Is what is happening really stupid though? What should humanity be doing in order to be intelligent?

[edit on 4-10-2008 by ghaleon12]

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ghost147
it could spell desaster for our planet.

Completely off topic, but you misspelled disaster. In a phrase that emphasizes the spelling of disaster.

Could I borrow that for my signature?

Oh, if there's a God he/she/it made a huge mistake creating mankind. Unless the planet is scheduled for a do-over and he knew humans would kill every living thing including themselves, given enough time.

[edit on 10/4/2008 by mythatsabigprobe]

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Like I said before, if you think the world is more important than humanity, that's just a bit strange. It reminds me of those crazy PETA members who say humans should all die so the panda bears or whatever animal can live freely

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 11:23 AM
link   

we didn't just come to being a few thousand years ago. we were just brought here from somewhere else, a few thousand years ago. prior to that, the planet had an upright, bipedal, lizard population, seen in pretty much every ancient artifact, including all mother goddess figurines up to and prior to 3000 BC

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 11:25 AM
link   
i definetly do not believe in creationism, however, the topic is about god, as in the christianity one. so unfortunatly i have to include it.

TheEnlightenedOne. Yes, but what about the belief in destiny? isnt that caused by god? or is that completely different? if it is caused by god (seeing how god created everything), wouldnt that meen that technically he is our brains too?

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 11:26 AM
link   

interesting. einstein once questioned wrether God had any choice about creating man and the universe. i can't find a source for it so far, but i remember reading it before.

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 11:29 AM
link   
So I suppose the drawings of the humans with animal heads that the Egyptians drew meant that they actually existed? Don't think so, I don't there existed a race of birdmen living on earth sharing a similarity with horus

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 11:30 AM
link   
For example the Great White Shark is a 'Kind' meaning that there are still sharks in the oceans and if God wants he could take another Shark's DNA and make another. But that won't happen anyway even if it dies out, the important thing is the species as a whole.

What does God think about the world's destruction?
In the Book of Revelations it says God is angry with man destroying the earth and something like we should be helping out. I need to find the passage but can not right now after looking.

At the same time it does say the Sea's will be dried up and turned to blood through judgement. So it does not make sense unless there are different realities going on and the last parallel world ends up like this for the sake of God's judgement on the most subburn of people who want to side with the devil.

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 11:32 AM
link   
these are more than those egyptian costumes, and they continue for over 1000 years prior to 3000 BC. if you believe in evolution, then you would also have to agree that it is entirely possible for an upright, bipedal reptilian species, same as any other species, and in fact, is alot more possible because the planet was teeming with reptilian species for a very long time.

[edit on 4-10-2008 by undo]

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 11:33 AM
link   
My point that I was trying to make is that creationism isn't really Christian. Most Christians don't believe in the things that creationism tries to prove (like age of the earth). If the topic is about God, I don't see why creationism comes into play seeing it hasn't existed nearly as long. The whole field is rediculous. With physical proof that dinos are millions of years old, these people say that God put it there to test their faith. You can't try to find a logical answer to that.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join