It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is my IP & ISP Showing?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 02:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by gotrox
When you choose to connect to the internet, you forfeit a certain amount of privacy.

Yeah 99.99999 %

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 10:43 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Danasoft is harmless. It only shows you what any webadmin can see when you visit their sites (= all of the internet). The fact is: you do have an ip when you're on the internet, and sites you visit can see your ip (note: ats moderators are not webadmin, and they can't see your ip info the way i.e. Danasoft can). Your ISP can already monitor your internet activity if they want to. Do you trust your ISP? You'll have to, cause if you're not, you shouldn't be using the internet at all. And if you're using a proxy, you're routing all your internet traffic through that proxy server. It means that the proxy server can monitor your internet traffic too. Do you trust that proxy server? It'll double the risk that someone is tracking your internet traffic (ISP + proxy server). I prefer to not use a proxy. I see no point, plus there's an extra risk. Why trust them? I'll have to trust my ISP.

The info below is only visible to you:

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 10:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Hellmutt

I'm not a computer guy but I thought TOR bounces through so many IPs that it makes it almost impossible for anyone to track back to one's computer.

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 10:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sublime620
reply to post by jsobecky

What do you care? You defend a government who currently spies on everyone. What's another person stealing your information?

What an off the wall, trolling statement. Whatever made you want to do something like that?

Edit: Never mind, don't answer that question. I have no desire to feed a troll.

[edit on 6-10-2008 by jsobecky]

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Parallelogram
looking at a widget like that and assuming that everyone else sees your information smacks a little bit of paranoia.

Seriously. Paranoia, imagine that. And on a site such as ATS.

I'm flabbergasted!

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 11:05 PM
link   
If you don't want your IP to be known anywhere, stop using the internet.

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 07:16 AM
link   
I now have it figured out.

The widget appears in the sig area of userA's post when I read his post.

This is because my browser sends a request to his server to return an object in his sig. As a result of my request to his server, my IP, etc. are broadcast to his server and to the net. The widget uses this info to glean my IP, etc., and returns the fool's gold to his signature area, where I read it.

My confusion arose from the fact that I thought the OP said the widget was returned to his signature area. That would be a serious concern.

I am aware of the obvious facts that my personal info is broadcast on the net and visible to all. So the comments about "If you don't want your IP to be seen, don't use the internet" are unnecessary.

But thanks to everyone who made a earnest effort to help, esp. my son. It's such a simple concept; my misunderstanding was with the OP. Mea culpa.

[edit on 7-10-2008 by jsobecky]

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hellmutt
and sites you visit can see your ip (note: ats moderators are not webadmin, and they can't see your ip info the way i.e. Danasoft can).

Well maybe Mods don't have permissions set at ATS but most certainly ATS admin can see the IP... I have heard many times it said how many hits ATS gets from .gov and .mil sites... and if you cannot track a persons IP, how can you then ban that IP address?

It comes down to "Do you trust your forum" While ATS may be impeccable and go to extraordinary measures to ensure privacy, I can see that another not so scupulous forum might not.

Have worked with php forum software... setting permissions for anyone is merely a mouse click or two...

So again it comes down to trust

[edit on 7-10-2008 by zorgon]

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
What an off the wall, trolling statement. Whatever made you want to do something like that?

Well troll or not he is right....

ECHELON sites world wide monitor everything on the internet. Ever word you type is recorded and screened by super computers and searched for keywords and phrases

MUOS (Mobile User Objective System) sites around the world monitor all cell phone traffic

NSA monitors phone calls

NGA (National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency) monitors satellite communications. NGA is now above (literally) NSA and NRO

Heck even the Clark County Nevada Accessors office 'spies' on you and freely shares the info on line

You can go to their website... punch in a persons name, street address or even cross streets... and it will pop up a complete record of every property that person owns, including tax history, value of property and purchase history... and give you an aerial view

gisgate.co.clark.nv.us...

Here is a sample... paste this into the Specific Parcel# box

Its Wayne Newton's Shenandoah Estate

State of Nevada for 30.00 a year gives you access to driver records

And your worried about a little old "Widget" that is merely designed to freak out the paranoid?

Sleep Tight THEY are watching...

Oh almost forgot... Traffic Cams on every street corner with resolution good enough to read license plates

And those GPS chips in your car? You really thought they were for YOUR benefit?

[edit on 7-10-2008 by zorgon]

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Well troll or not he is right....

Really? And you know that I defend all that activity how, exactly?

And your worried about a little old "Widget" that is merely designed to freak out the paranoid?

You obviously haven't been able to follow the technical points of the conversation. But go on, keep being ignorant and assuming things you know nothing of.

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 12:24 PM
link   
I was going to bring some previous posts up, but it's not worth it. Jsobecky contributes intelligent thought to this board more than most (though we may disagree on most of it).

So I apologize for the personal attack.

[edit on 7-10-2008 by Sublime620]

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Sublime620

Thank you, Sublime, and no hard feelings. It's forgotten.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join