It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

OJ Simpson found guilty on robbery and kidnapping charges

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 07:49 PM
link   
Obviously somewhere between "Palin Appears To Be Wearing an Earpiece" and "The Federation of Light New Message Update from Blossom Goodchild Herself", I slipped into a parallel universe where someone put a gun to OJ' Simpsons head and forced him to go the Palace Station Hotel to retreive memorabelia (assets) he gave someone 12 years ago to hide from the Goldmans and the jury award they received in the civil trial he lost.

Am I missing something or did ATS change the tag line to "Embrace Ignorance"?

The reason OJ was found guilty is because he WAS guilty. Instead of looking for his wife's killer on some golf course somewhere (remember he proimsed to devote his life to finding the guy) he siezed an opportunity to be the OJ that everybody knows him to be.

A set up? Please... The man has an ego as big as the all outdoors. Trust me, nobody put a gun to this mans head and told him to go there to get his stuff back, his mistake is and always has been not knowing you quit when you're ahead.

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Well at least he'll be in jail where his 'search for the real killer' will have a better chance.. he's been only looking on golf courses all these years..

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 11:01 PM
link   
In Nevada, kidnapping is punishable by five years to life in prison. Armed robbery carries a mandatory sentence of at least two years behind bars, and could bring as much as 30. Sentencing was set for Dec. 5 in the OJ case.

No probation under Nevada law, from the plain wording of the statute OJ is ineligible for probation if he was convicted of 1st degree Kidnapping. The sentences will probably run concurrently.

NRS 200.330 Kidnapping in second degree: Penalties. A person convicted of kidnapping in the second degree is guilty of a category B felony and shall be punished by imprisonment in the state prison for a minimum term of not less than 2 years and a maximum term of not more than 15 years, and may be further punished by a fine of not more than $15,000.
[3:165:1947; 1943 NCL § 10612.07]—(NRS A 1967, 469; 1979, 1425; 1995, 1185)

2. A person who commits robbery is guilty of a category B felony and shall be punished by imprisonment in the state prison for a minimum term of not less than 2 years and a maximum term of not more than 15 years.
[1911 C&P § 162; RL § 6427; NCL § 10109]—(NRS A 1961, 53; 1967, 470; 1993, 253; 1995, 1187)

Buffalo Edu

AUTHORITY OF THE COURT; LIMITATIONS
NRS 176A.100 Authority and discretion of court to suspend sentence and grant probation; persons eligible; factors considered; intensive supervision; submission of report of presentence investigation.
1. Except as otherwise provided in this section and NRS 176A.110 and 176A.120, if a person is found guilty in a district court upon verdict or plea of:
(a) Murder of the first or second degree, kidnapping in the first degree, sexual assault, attempted sexual assault of a child who is less than 16 years of age, lewdness with a child pursuant to NRS 201.230, an offense for which the suspension of sentence or the granting of probation is expressly forbidden, or if the person is found to be a habitual criminal pursuant to NRS 207.010, a habitually fraudulent felon pursuant to NRS 207.014 or a habitual felon pursuant to NRS 207.012, the court shall not suspend the execution of the sentence imposed or grant probation to the person.

Buffalo Edu

OJ's chances on appeal appear to be real slim. He's sho nuf a goner!

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 11:28 PM
link   
reply to post by mattguy404

I hope Karma continues to kick his ass over and over. Life is what the sentence should read, go ahead and sentence him now for ALL his crimes.

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 01:53 AM
link   
reply to post by xander68

i agree hes been playing too much golf lately some of those courses hes been seen on have green fees of 250$ or more he needs to be playing the putt putt circuit if hes strapped for cash somebodys said he hasnt been playing very well and has had a few shanks in his bag but thats ok because he can use those when he gets to prison

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 03:49 AM
link   
I, for one, am glad they finally nailed him. Rot in hell, OJ.

A beer on me for each and every member of that jury.

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 08:09 AM
link   
Wait! They can't lock OJ up! He hasn't found the real killer(s) yet!

But seriously, I find that this was far from a fair trial. Honestly, could this man get a fair trial anywhere in the United States. After all, the vast majority of us believe that he was acquitted of double homicide. There's no way that those jurors didn't take that into consideration in this case.

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 08:27 AM
link   
I find the whole thing to be a pathetic farce acted out by spineless, mindless puppets dancing on the strings of powers they couldn’t name you. OJ, ‘the system’, and the media are all players, with the dumbed down audience held in rapt attention, cheering gleefully as the heavy is struck down.

People should be more concerned with America’s karmic bill which is way overdue.

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 10:56 AM
link   
I did find a better researh area for Nevada and other States laws. Just type Cornell Law in your search engine or go to: Cornell Law

Since OJ was found guilty of Conspiracy to Kidnap, (Conspiracy is always a degree below commission of the actual offense) it would appear OJ is eligible for probation on that. I couldn't find an exclusion that would apply to OJ on the 12 counts of armed robbery under Nevada law. It appears to be the judges call. I would say that it's unusual to see probation in armed robbery cases, and there may be something out there precluding his eligibility. These posted sites are better places to surf for free law available to the public though.

NRS 200.380 Definition; penalty.

1. Robbery is the unlawful taking of personal property from the person of another, or in his presence, against his will, by means of force or violence or fear of injury, immediate or future, to his person or property, or the person or property of a member of his family, or of anyone in his company at the time of the robbery. A taking is by means of force or fear if force or fear is used to:

(a) Obtain or retain possession of the property;

(b) Prevent or overcome resistance to the taking; or

(c) Facilitate escape.

Ê The degree of force used is immaterial if it is used to compel acquiescence to the taking of or escaping with the property. A taking constitutes robbery whenever it appears that, although the taking was fully completed without the knowledge of the person from whom taken, such knowledge was prevented by the use of force or fear.

2. A person who commits robbery is guilty of a category B felony and shall be punished by imprisonment in the state prison for a minimum term of not less than 2 years and a maximum term of not more than 15 years.

Nevada Criminal Statutes

KIDNAPPING

NRS 200.310 Degrees.

1. A person who willfully seizes, confines, inveigles, entices, decoys, abducts, conceals, kidnaps or carries away a person by any means whatsoever with the intent to hold or detain, or who holds or detains, the person for ransom, or reward, or for the purpose of committing sexual assault, extortion or robbery upon or from the person, or for the purpose of killing the person or inflicting substantial bodily harm upon him, or to exact from relatives, friends, or any other person any money or valuable thing for the return or disposition of the kidnapped person...a category A felony.

2. A person who willfully and without authority of law seizes, inveigles, takes, carries away or kidnaps another person with the intent to keep the person secretly imprisoned within the State, or for the purpose of conveying the person out of the State without authority of law, or in any manner held to service or detained against his will, is guilty of kidnapping in the second degree which is a category B felony.

PROBATION STUFF

NRS 176A.100 Authority and discretion of court to suspend sentence and grant probation; persons eligible; factors considered; intensive supervision; submission of report of presentence investigation.

1. Except as otherwise provided in this section and NRS 176A.110 and 176A.120, if a person is found guilty in a district court upon verdict or plea of:

(a) ... kidnapping in the first degree, sexual assault...an offense for which the suspension of sentence or the granting of probation is expressly forbidden,...the court shall not suspend the execution of the sentence imposed or grant probation to the person.

Cornell Law

This is a pretty dry post, but for those interested in the poential range of punishment, provides a glimpse into the future.

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 11:18 AM
link   
LA Times artice answered the range of pusisnment issue, without any references to the statute of course.

"So, now, even if Simpson were to succeed in appealing the jury verdict and have that verdict vacated by the Nevada Supreme Court, those two or so years will likely be spent behind bars. Even then, under a best-case scenario, if Simpson emerges victorious and the verdict on every charge is vacated by the Nevada Supreme Court, the decision on whether Simpson would stay in jail pending his new trial would be in the hands -- in all likelihood -- of Judge Glass again. No obvious scenario plays out that allows Simpson to walk free after last night's conviction in the short term.

So, as of now, Simpson is no longer a free man, and that will be the case for quite some time. Simpson will stay in jail until sentencing in December and then he will be sent to prison in Nevada. These are likely to be very hard years for Simpson. Nevada's prison system is not meant for celebrities. Because of the seriousness of the charges, there is the real possibility he will ultimately have to be sent to Nevada's maximum security prison in Ely. And there Simpson would likely spend years totally isolated from his fellow prisoners for his own safety.

I reached Figler early this morning to find out how long Simpson is likely to be sentenced by Judge Glass, and ask what Simpson's chances are on appealing the verdict. Figler noted that judges in Nevada have a very wide discretion for sentencing. Simpson could get anywhere from a few years to a possible life sentence. If a gun had not been involved in the case, Figler says, even probation would have been a possibility."

LA Times

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 01:32 PM
link   
verylowfrequency;

I will agree with you on what you said about pilots and astronauts. These people are definately the cream of the crop. As far as atheletes go, how about Rocky Blier (not spelled right) or even Pat Tilman.

For those not familiar, Rocky Blier played in the NFL, was drafted in Vietnam. He was then hit in the legs and back with mortar shrapnel and told he would never walk again. Went on to play for the Steelers for many years.

I think everyone knows about Tilman. I am not referring to his tragic death, but him giving up a 4 million dollar contract to serve his country. To me that is a heroic athelete.

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by capgrup

A couple of good examples, but these guys were heroes for what they did off the field, not on it. OJ, on the other hand, only had a few bit parts in movies and a few commercial deals. Certainly nothing heroic. Then there's the fact that he had the unmitigated gaul to write and publish that book on how he would have done it, which is really a book on how he did it. He doesn't deserve to be in a Nevada State Prison, he deserves to be in a prison in some third world hell hole!

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRooster

thank god they got this idiot they should have locked him up 13 years ago too bad.... i bet he wishes johnny was still around but he too is frying in hell right now oh well thats life you never really get away with anything and no one is invincible

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 01:38 PM
link   
[edit on 8-10-2008 by JaxonRoberts]

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 05:04 PM
link   
For starters he was certainly stupid,Las Vegas of all places they have survelliance everywhere you go,and as far as being framed? they have him in audio as well as video,as far as being a hero,maybe to a sports fan,and I do think he thought he was untouchable,that loser had an aquittel party planned,good riddance he better use his running back skills in prison,or turn into a wide reciever

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join