It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is going on with Google Earth? (Related to October 14th)

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 06:47 PM
link   
reply to post by MurrayTORONTO

How do you want me to show you proof?
Even if I created a video tutorial of what I'm talking about it may be over your head, simply because graphics has a lot of strange terms, such as stretching, banding, UV Mapping, MipMapping, ect., I'll go ahead and tell you what it looks like to me, and try to explain in laymans terms what I mean.

Ok, seems that the lowres version of the image map is stretching at the south pole due to an Open GL or Direct X (this may be the reason for the anomaly) UV mapping geometry error, now if the weather thing is turned on, then it could just be the DSS or whatever sorta file they are useing to simulate a raster projection of the weather, could be corrupt, or just isn't big enough, or the wrong resolution for the south pole of the UV sphere that google earth is erronously using as there base model for there earth, they should actually use an icosphere in my opinion.

Honestly, that's about as simple as I can get for ya.

-Jimmy

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by jimmyjackblack

Originally posted by LogicalSolution

Not a mapping error. It's just how satellites work. If you don't believe me, e-mail any meteorologist and ask them. I learned this in a basic 100-level meteorology class.

Do a search on google for websites that have real-time weather satellite images of the entire earth, you will see the same thing.

Seriously,
/end thread

Trust me, it's a mapping error, the texture stretching and all that, unless there is some new live weather version of google earth that I'm probably unaware of seeing as to how my version is sorta old, then it would be the cloud layer not mapping properly.

-Jimmy

Geostationary satellites (like the one google uses) create 30-second video loops of the area they are scanning. These weather satellites cannot scan the whole earth at once, they can only scan a limited area. This is why there are "blocks" that don't line up right, because they are more recently scanned.

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 06:54 PM
link   
reply to post by LogicalSolution

Ah, that makes perfect sense.

-Jimmy

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 07:01 PM
link   
reply to post by LogicalSolution

First of all, welcome to ATS!

I thought about that too, but this image shows that what is missing is data from a satellite in a polar orbit, so I think that Google Earth may be missing the data of that satellite and that is why the north pole is missing images and the area on this image was also missing the cloud cover, they probably do not have data from a local satellite.

And no, the thread is not closed just because you think you have found the answer, that never happens here.

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 07:14 PM
link   
I would like to thank everyone here for adding their 2 cents. I like that fact that I joined a forum with a variety of subject matter experts. I will be sticking around this place longer than expected.

Also here are the 3 different cloud layer feeds for Google Earth:

dev.keyhole.com...
xplanet.dyndns.org...
userpage.fu-berlin.de...

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 07:16 PM
link   
reply to post by jimmyjackblack

Yes I said this earlier, it also happens on the other side too in antartica.

LOL I even remember a thread about antartica just because of it!

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Geostationary satellites (like the one google uses) create 30-second video loops of the area they are scanning. These weather satellites cannot scan the whole earth at once, they can only scan a limited area. This is why there are "blocks" that don't line up right, because they are more recently scanned.

So tell me why has it never moved?

I am also experienced in 3D, I know more about modeling than texturing, but I'm pretty sure that this is caused by texturing.

Edit: I think you might be right. The reason why it hasnt moved is because they probably use the same technique everytime to texture, so the hole is always there, also they must use a similar technique to texture the earth too, that's why there is a odd texture shape in the same exact place as the odd cloud shape.

[edit on 4-10-2008 by _Phoenix_]

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by _Phoenix_

Has what never moved?

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by _Phoenix_

Has what never moved?

The hole has not moved since this thread.

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 07:45 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Why are people so gullible?

Why is the thread title the way it is? Related to October 14th and that other silly thread!?

Why am i even bothering!?

This is :-

A) An error of some sort.
B) A prank by google who are all laughing at this thread right now.
C) A publicity stunt, how many more people do you think have downloaded google earth today?

Please use some common sense! There will be no hexagon shaped mothercraft on oct 14th, There will be no intagalactic klingons from the 542342425 dimension. It will be a normal day!

If anyone fancies putting there money where there mouth is and filling up my paypal account then be my guest and message me

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Besides which, Goodchild said this ship would be an 8-pointed star. If anything other than a glitch, it's a second flying Pentagon, used for Continuity of Government.

I will admit though, it has been there a while.

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by _Phoenix_

Ya know what they should do?
They should have a gradient to blend between the two images that the weather sattelites.
It would look a lot smoother I think, instead of such a sharp contrast, but then of course this would probably lead to a few problems though.

-Jimmy

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Illusionsaregrander
Well, I dont know if you all have already seen this, I hadnt heard anything about it until you started this thread and I dug around a little, but this artists rendering of an event in Florida looks an awful lot like your google Earth image.

imaginativeworlds.com...

The same Blossom Goodchild is mentioned.

Edit to add, you have to scroll down a tad once you get to the linked site to see the image.

[edit on 4-10-2008 by Illusionsaregrander]

I took a look... and I could be wrong, but that image appears to be photo-shopped, IMHO. Inside the "wedge of blue sky", you can clearly see the haze of clouds, contrary to his posting. So his claim that there are no clouds visible inside the wedge are without merit. IMHO.

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 09:01 PM
link   
Hi everyone. First time in a forum here.
As far as it"not moving" these shapes of cloud "cut outs" or whatever they have been termed, have been moving all over the globe for two days. Only today has it for the most part stayed over the Arctic Ocean, but moving and changing shape around and above The Arctic nonetheless.
I did go to this other global satellite live weather feed to compare:

www.intellicast.com...

Looks like an invisible ship free atmosphere to me,BUT they don't really give you a good shot of the North or South Poles. Right? Is that a complete world atmosphere map?

Cool site. Always browsed. Never hung.PEACE

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 09:31 PM
link   
My goodness.....OP are you serious?...........

[edit on 4-10-2008 by Seaman_Richie]

====
Mod Edit: Image resized to conform to T&C

[edit on 5/10/2008 by Badge01]

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by DisgustedOne

Originally posted by Illusionsaregrander
Well, I dont know if you all have already seen this, I hadnt heard anything about it until you started this thread and I dug around a little, but this artists rendering of an event in Florida looks an awful lot like your google Earth image.

imaginativeworlds.com...

The same Blossom Goodchild is mentioned.

Edit to add, you have to scroll down a tad once you get to the linked site to see the image.

[edit on 4-10-2008 by Illusionsaregrander]

I took a look... and I could be wrong, but that image appears to be photo-shopped, IMHO. Inside the "wedge of blue sky", you can clearly see the haze of clouds, contrary to his posting. So his claim that there are no clouds visible inside the wedge are without merit. IMHO.

It's not photo shopped--it's an artists rendition of the event.

Although this would be very weird to see in the sky and I'm not saying the people hoaxed the story, it's just something completely unrelated to this thread, since this thread is probably on what johnmajor said (see his post).

I remember seeing this thread last night without any replies as it was new, but I didn't think of posting since it seems just like a Google Earth anomaly - no where near worth 32 flags IMHO.

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 10:57 PM
link   
I'm amazed it took 6 pages for this to be debunked. Even I could see from the first images posted that it was some sort of satelite malfunction/ lack of data error, and i've never used google earth.

If they show on the 14th I will eat any hat of the OP's choice, but please let me choose my own condiments... but maybe, just maybe it might be the start of D4rkNights prediction.

What ever happened to that guy anyway? He should write a screen play because his posts had me transfixed.

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 11:03 PM
link   
reply to post by johnmajor

It's funny that you registered today to post this. Hmmmm I wonder if you are alphabet soup?

Your post adds traction to this conspiracy.

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 11:18 PM
link   
What i am gathering from this is either:

a. They dont want us seeing what is going on over there because Canada, the US and Russia are all deploying troops to the Arctic to secure land and resources. We do know that Canada intends to beef up military presence in the area.

or

b. The sea ice is completely gone and they dont want us to know about it just yet. Seriously, aside from the clouds you should at least be able to see the sea ice. All i can see is the detail of the ocean floor, how would they be able to have a satellite picture of that with all the sea ice in the way, but not a picture of whats under the antarctic ice under the ross shelf. In fact why does the satellite even have data for the antarctic but not the arctic. It makes no sense.

I bet at some point or another there was data for the arctic. BUt its strange, most people I talk to arent even aware of the true loss of sea ice in the arctic that has actually been confirmed int he media, if global warming is really such the big issue scientists claim to be shouldnt depleting sea ice be a major issue? SOmething strange is definately afoot.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join