It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Just look up!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Most American schools never took the average person much past the ability to recognise the big and little dipper.

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 11:30 PM
link   
S&F couldn't agree more... Thank you for your insight which has helped spark a 'new found' skepticism on my part

[edit on 26-8-2009 by tmayhew01]

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 12:33 AM
link   
Great Post Phage! S&F'd!
I've always enjoyed your commentary and scientific approach to everything. I think it's awesome that you are pointing eyes to the sky, people don't see anymore and think, this is all there is....

Love your image....Dr. Emilio Lazardo is the best mad scientist of all time.
All those programs everyone mentioned are awesome but I have read many threads and waited for Phage to show up and post a comment...
You are one smart lectroid! Thanks for your intellect and charming persona!
Synth

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 06:19 AM
link   
Most people can tell between a star and a ufo. Nice try though!

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 06:35 AM
link   
Nice post , i started since last week to do it and i learned a lot of things about the night sky.

S&F !

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 06:48 AM
link   
A shame the vast majority of the population couldnt point to you where Polaris is, M31, Orion, Sirius, and I doubt many have even seen a Comet or Solar Eclipse apart from in a book (assume they ever read such things.)

I only have a 1200/90 Telescope but it does me justice in that ive seen about 12 periodic Comets through it, satellites crossing the face of the Moon, Planetary phases, Ive even spent 2 months wages to see the 2006 Solar Eclipse in Turkey aswell as witnessing the Venus conjunction.
Theres even been one time where I saw 12 men in space all within a hour, a ISS pass, a Shuttle pass and then a Soyuz Capsule pass. I dont think that'll ever happen again soon.
But as for space itself, nothing beats a Telescope gazing into space itself and looking at a real-life time machine.

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 06:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

That is a fantastic program! And best of all, it's free!

Thanks for posting it, Phage - probably would never have come across it

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 07:06 AM
link   
When someone points out a planet in the night sky and addresses it as a UFO I look at him as if he is a failure of the educational system which he obviously is..

Hope your thread helps to reduce the number of "failures of the educational system" on this forum.

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 07:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Chovy

Looking to (around) 80% of the "recent" sightings reported, people can't even tell the difference from a plane or a star.

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 09:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Great thread Phage, it is obvious that you have great passion for astronomy.

Just bumping this thread for all to see... Excellent and easy to understand thread(and MUCH needed).

[edit on 8/30/2009 by jkrog08]

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by thedigirati

Now would be a good time to point out:

Stellarium

A free, offline astronomical program. I highly recommend it.

thank you, thank you, thank you for this.
exactly what i've been looking for!!!

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 05:17 AM
link   
Just been sifting through your old threads Phage and came across this.

Great advice, this thread should be stickied with the introduction board imo.

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 05:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

I don't want to sound offensive, you obviously like the sky and I do to, but what if there aren't any stars in the night sky where I live and I still see so called "moving stars"?

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 06:12 AM
link   
Great post Phage!! S&F!

I think a lot of people wonder why the "ancients" gained such a detailed knowledge of the night sky and the answer is pretty obvious. They had no light pollution from cities, they had no light to speak of after dark, and there was not much to do at night but make babies and watch the sky.

I wish I had more opportunity to be out at night where I could see the stars.

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 07:01 AM
link   

reply to post by thedigirati

Now would be a good time to point out:

Stellarium

A free, offline astronomical program. I highly recommend it.

Using Stellarium, my son (11) was able to identify both Jupiter and Betelgeuse at once outside, without any help from me. Understandably i'm very PROUD!!!

Excellent thread!! Just remember though, most people can't even see the sky anymore
between chemtrails, city smog and lights.

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 11:40 AM
link   

If I might, I would suggest that everyone actually make an effort to learn about that big dome that surrounds us every night.

Phage I would love nothing more than for your post to stay atop the ATS charts indefinitely. However, asking most ATSr's to actually do research before posting is like asking a 1st grader to calculus. I admire your bravery and standards of thought nonetheless. S&F.

I don't want to label individuals like you and I as elitists or somehow suggest we are more intelligent than new ATS users, but I do feel our ilk needs its own space around here, free of the riff raff and overzealous ignorance.

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Just look up, face north north west, flash your communicator three times (with one second intervals) and you might be surprised.

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

great thread, I agree that you have to know something about starsa and their positions to be a trustable UFO reporter, its only an UFO if its moving, and is not a plane\heli\firework\comet\chinese lantern. and to know that you'll ned atleast basic astronomical skills

[edit on 1-5-2010 by Psychiatrium]

posted on Oct, 5 2010 @ 01:27 AM
link   
Great post. I fully support it.

If you do go outside you really should get stellarium. I can't say that enough. Also if you do start looking up, you're going to start seeing more ufo's......... so then just ID them with this nice little sat tracker. It explains lots of sightings that I have on a weekly basis. Lots of stuff up there now.

satilite ID

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by NightVision

If I might, I would suggest that everyone actually make an effort to learn about that big dome that surrounds us every night.

Phage I would love nothing more than for your post to stay atop the ATS charts indefinitely. However, asking most ATSr's to actually do research before posting is like asking a 1st grader to calculus. I admire your bravery and standards of thought nonetheless. S&F.

I don't want to label individuals like you and I as elitists or somehow suggest we are more intelligent than new ATS users, but I do feel our ilk needs its own space around here, free of the riff raff and overzealous ignorance.

I appreciate where you're coming from mate but that was quite a judgemental, condescending post.

Don't critisize, educate.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join