It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Survival shore fishing

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 07:00 PM
link   
My survival manuals explain how to fish rivers for survival using gill nets and traps but there's scant info on shore fishing.

So in a shoreline survival situation how do I make sure I catch fish without a large cast net or building a large trap? Imagine there are no rivers close by, and my water comes from solar stills and rain.

Can I send a basket trap out with the tide?
Can I attach a baited gill net to a long stick and send it out?

Or is angling the preferred or a good enough method for shore fishing?

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Depends on the shore I would think. Rocky shores are made for the rod and reel.
I've never had much luck surf casting. I think it depends on what's running.

I love flyfishing the flats for bones, baby tarpons, permit and anything else that comes along.

And in the backwaters I have had nights when I could catch something on every cast using cutbait or shrimp.

I have only cast a net for bait.
I'm a die hard angler.

I think SitX would be a breeze on the right coast.

[edit on 3-10-2008 by whaaa]

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 07:17 PM
link   
reply to post by hunterX

Check out these two threads. In a survival situation, I personally would prefer traps over regular angling.

Survival fishing. Unattended trap

Survival fishing MK II

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 07:49 PM
link   
Really depends where your at. If the water is warm and you have visibility spear fishing is easier and faster then throwing a line in or trap and waiting for the fish to come to you. You don't need scuba just a mask, snorkel, fins & a some spears. You see em, you take em, simple. Not very sporting, but it will put food on the table quickly.

[edit on 3-10-2008 by verylowfrequency]

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 07:56 PM
link   
For survival fishing trot-lines are the way to go.
en.wikipedia.org...

The only better way is DuPont spinners (dynamite)

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 05:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by ANNED
For survival fishing trot-lines are the way to go.
en.wikipedia.org...

The only better way is DuPont spinners (dynamite)

Trot lines are a very successful method for fishing, survival or otherwise. As a kid, my father and myself used this method a lot on the sandbanks near where i live.

Basically a long line of decent breaking strain fishing line pulled taught between two posts hammered into the sand. Then add differing lengths of fishing lines with hooks attached from the main line set at a couple of feet apart all along the main line. Bait up and wait for the tide to come in. Be sure to get to your trot line before it is exposed as the tide goes out or the seagulls and crabs will have their share or even unsrupulous human predators.

These can be time consuming in the initial stages, but you will soon figure out a quick way of making them. I used to make them so the dangling/baited lines were all snap release removeable, so i could vary the drop or hook size easier.

For actual shore fishing, use 3 hook paternoster rigs with varying size hooks. Also the more rods out into the water, the better likelihood of a catch. In summer months, keep a mackeral rig nearby and handy ..... just in case.

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Trot lines are the way to go. Lighter than nets or traps and can be stored in a pocket. If you have a secure location then take a small inflatable bottle, that can be deflated and stuffed in a pocket, with a handle so you can tie your mainline to it. Use 75 or 100 lb test as your mainline. Then tie a piece to the bottle and a rock to keep it from drifting. That way you can easily get to deeper water and bigger fish. Make sure you use 20lb test as your drop lines so the bigger fish don't break it.

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Bar none the best survival thread I have ever seen at ATS. I printed this one and altered my gear and supplies accordingly, dumping half of the junk I didn't need and picking up a few odd and ends.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 5-10-2008 by Illahee]

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 12:03 AM
link   
Thanks for all these replies, exactly what I was looking for.

I guess I knew about trot lines but not what they were called. Didn't think of putting them on a beach and waiting for the tide to come in

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by hunterX

Don't do that unless you have a boat and solid anchor or you will find them balled up in giant knots when the tide goes out.

Trot lines are typically strung across rivers and creeks. Research commercial long lining, and the information you seek will be there.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Illahee
reply to post by hunterX

Don't do that unless you have a boat and solid anchor or you will find them balled up in giant knots when the tide goes out.

Trot lines are typically strung across rivers and creeks. Research commercial long lining, and the information you seek will be there.

Actually, you dont need a boat to put out Trot Lines on tidal sandbanks. Just use the method I have decribed above ..... it works as long as they are anchored well at each end, it should be fine.

top topics

join