It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. to Fund Pro-American Publicity in Iraqi Media

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 05:10 PM
link   

U.S. to Fund Pro-American Publicity in Iraqi Media

www.washingtonpost.com

The Defense Department will pay private U.S. contractors in Iraq up to $300 million over the next three years to produce news stories, entertainment programs and public service advertisements for the Iraqi media in an effort to "engage and inspire" the local population to support U.S. objectives and the Iraqi government.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 05:10 PM
link   
SNIP

First of all, if you're going to do this, the smart thing to do is to have kept it secret. People do have internet in some parts of Iraq.

Second, unless Michael Bay is directing, where is all this money going?

Third, one wonders how often this might take place here in the US?

Further thoughts to follow,

Mod Edit: Breaking News Forum Submission Guidelines – Please Review This Link.

www.washingtonpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 3/10/2008 by Mirthful Me]

[edit on 10/3/2008 by schrodingers dog]

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Sorry I thought I could add an external quote in the OP.
I will do it here.

This is how it works:

"There's a video piece produced by a contractor . . . showing a family being attacked by a group of bad guys, and their daughter being taken off. The message is: You've got to stand up against the enemy." The professionally produced vignette, he said, "is offered for airing on various [television] stations in Iraq. . . . They don't know that the originator of the content is the U.S. government. If they did, they would never run anything."

"If you asked most Iraqis," he said, "they would say, 'It came from the government, our own government.' "

WP

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 06:14 PM
link   
unbelievable

and then some here will come and say 'oh i see, let's all play the blame america game"

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 06:31 PM
link   
One of the major questions here is: Why are we paying for this?
The other: Isn't it a little late in the game for this?
I'm pretty sure most Iraqi's have pretty much made up their mind as to how they view us.

The whole thing is just the latest of all the horrible ideas.
What do you think the Iraqi people will think of us when get a wind of this, and they will.
What are these people thinking?

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Just to reinforce my point from the above post:

Some inside the military itself have questioned the effectiveness of the defense program. "I'm not a huge fan" of information operations, one military official said, adding that Iraqi opinions -- as for most people -- are formed more by what they experience than by what they read in a newspaper, hear on the radio or see on billboards.

WP

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 09:59 PM
link   
It seems to me that this whole thing is the Bush administration lining the pockets of their subcontractor buddies one last time before they leave power.

A little going away present if you will.

new topics

top topics

join