It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Weird object on back of F/A-18F

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by 38181

The Swiss Airforce and the Canadian AF both have pure landbased Hornets

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by FredT

Yes, your correct, but I was refering to the US, since the aircraft in the picture has US BUNO Numbers

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 02:45 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 03:28 PM
link   
I'm now pretty certain it is a heat exchanger for the radar folks.

www.navy.mil...

In addition to all of the modifications directly associated with the radar, there have been extensive modifications to the aircraft to support the AESA. Because of the tremendous power generated and the multitude of processors required, two new heat exchangers were added to the aft end of the airplane. These new heat exchangers have enhanced the liquid cooling capacity of the aircraft significantly, and have provided the radar the essential cooling required.

Anyone with a defense aerospace account?

Defense aerospace

There is a story on it here, could anyone check it to see if my suspicions are correct? I might have access from the office, but not from home.

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Thats my guess, heat exchanger. Looks like those ducts were designed with RCS in mind too

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by 38181

All USAF fighters have a tail-hook for emergency landing, even the F-22. They are not designed for stress levels similar to what you see on a carrier trap, they would fail if such an event happened.

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 06:44 PM
link   
The heat exchanger theory makes sense.

I got to check out and F-18E at the Mirimar airshow this weekend (I missed the F-22 display
) and sure enough, those ten outlets were there.

The size difference between the old Hornet and the Super Bug is also very noticeable when you see them parked side by side.

I also got to check out the Marines' new AH-1Z and UH-1Y and talk to the AH-1Z pilot - he says the difference in performance with the Z model is "like night and day."

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 07:08 PM
link   
The fact that they are six sided is significant....would add to the radar signature.......six sided often is used for EC or optics.....

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 08:56 PM
link   
reply to post by kilcoo316

You're correct, excellent work.

A current Rhino driver confirmed on another forum that all Lot 26 (and above Super Hornets have this fitted on them to support the APG-79.

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 01:56 AM
link   
more cooling to fix the issue they were having with the radar from last year / 18 months sound spot n

top work guys

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Hey gang, sorry I have not been on in a while and i hope to not make a reposty if somebody answered this already but this is what you are looking at:

Those are on all new Block 29 F/A 18E models, and they are nothing more than part of the ECS (Environmental Control Ssytem) heat dissipators. On previos models they were within the aircrafts skin and actually had small doors that opened and closed to do the same thing. The new system has been implemented to dissipate the heat more adequately and the faceted edges are to aid (although to a miniscule level) the RCS signature when most specifically the aircraft is inverted within a combat arena.
It is not part of the AESA radar and is not part of the chaff/flare system. It's sort of trippy looking I agree but it's just a pretty mundane thing that has been changed a bit.

Peace to y'all,
Mondo

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join