It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tell me about the Tyler.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

Down here in the Credit, the Tyler's position is largely ceremonial and unseen although he does provide an important last check in every degree. In AF&A Masonry, one or the other of the Stewards are directed by the Master of the Lodge to prepare the candidate and wait until relieved by a Deacon (it varies by degree). The Deacon is supposed to make sure that the candidate has been properly prepared by the Steward and before the Deacon and the Candidate enter the Lodge room, the Tyler is supposed to do one last check to make sure that everything's as it's supposed to be.

Typically, the Tyler's a Past Master and will take the position for a year. On occasion when the presence of all Masons in the building is necessary, the Master will instruct that the Tyler tyle the outside door (lock it) so that he may join the rest of the brethren in the Lodge room.

Also, as to whether the Tyler is armed, he is (with a sword). Not sharp enough to get a cut from in our Lodge but certainly enough to render an uncomfortable poke.

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 07:26 AM
link   
Well at least I can say that our Tyler's sword is not only beautiful but also fully functional....It is a basket hilt rapier, incredibly sharp and wielded by a man that looks as if he were alive to participate in the building of Solomon's temple...I even asked him once if I could use the sword to cut him in half to count the rings
He didn't laugh..........

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 08:46 AM
link   
Sometimes our tyler falls asleep, and one time I visited a lodge where the tyler left to go to the bathroom and wasn't there when it came time to knock on the door and tell him something.

PS our Tyler sword is really ancient and the handle is really loose and it rattles if you shake it.

There is something really awesome that happens sword-wise in the 5th degree that is sort of scary, but it was funny because when I went through the guy with the sword looked like Mr Burns and couldn't barely hold it.

[edit on 10/7/08 by emsed1]

new topics

<< 1   >>

join