It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is there a legitimate argument to not vote this year?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 04:08 PM
link   
This will be the second presidential election I have been registered to vote in. I'm so, jaded I guess, that I don't want to vote because I feel as if I'm buying into a damaged system and perpetuating the corruption, greed, and lies that constitute most of American business and politics (one and same).

I voted for Kerry in 2004. Not because I thought he would make anything but a marginal president, but because he was the lesser of two evils. I've been even more cynical and disillusioned by government over the last 4 years. I think this whole financial crisis was the last straw for me.

I will be voting for Obama this year, once again because he is in my view the lesser of two evils.

In reality, my opinion is it doesn't matter if McCain or Obama win. Or anyone who is likely to be a candidate the next time. And the time after that. They are all two sides of the same coin. Republicans are one, Democrats are the other. There is no middle ground that does what is best for the whole of the American people.

Does it really have to be that way though?

Now I realize most people don't vote as is, but what if half of the usual 40% or so that vote didn't show up? Or even less. Would those in power finally get the message, peacefully, that no one believes in them anyone and that drastic changes need to be made to realign modern government with what the constitution says our government should.

I seriously doubt it though, but I was wondering if anyone thought if a large enough "none-vote" by the populace will open up some eyes?

[edit on 3-10-2008 by Mad Max]

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Mad Max

With all do respect, there's never been an election worth voting in. Even if the system was clean, the electoral college votes in the president. Since the system is corrupt on every level, your vote truly has no bearing on anything.

Not being negative, just realistic.

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 04:24 PM
link   
"Voting for the lesser of two evils is still voting for evil" --- unknown (to me)

You have more that two choices in this election. Don't let others make you think otherwise. You can do a search on any search engine and find a list of other candidates who are also running. Personally I will be voting for Chuck Baldwin, Constitution ticket.

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Universal Light

No offense taken. I am feeling that same way. It's like I would actually feel guilty about voting because it's, as George Carlin said "garbage in, garbage out".

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Max, you have to realize that the President's power is limited by the constitution, and as long as that constitution is in force, there is only so much he/she can accomplish. The President cannot pass laws, nor make unchallenged appointments to the Supreme court. The Senate and the House act to restrain the President. The President is able to restrain the House and the Senate, and the Supreme Court(when they are not legislating from the bench)acts to restrain both. The reason we have three branches of government is to keep restraints in place, and hopefully prevent the evolving of a dictatorship (which almost happened with FDR).

Should you vote? If you choose not to vote, then you have automatically given a vote to the other guy. While I do not personally approve of the candidate you've chosen, I must encourage you to excercise your franchise. If you don't like the choices, then find someone you can support the next time around, and get out there and work your ass off for them.
If enough of us do that, we can through all of these SOB's out, and put in a group of people who have no experience, but at least have some common sense.
Peace, my friend

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 04:30 PM
link   
I have never ever voted before and I am 26 years old. Most people look down on my reason for not doing so, but this has been my reason so far:

Voting is a personal declaration that says I believe in this system, and that my vote counts. Unfortunately I have educated myself entirely too much to believe that is the case.

That said, I am considering voting this year. In the small chance that it isn't all rigged, I want to contribute a vote against McCain.

[edit on 3-10-2008 by Lucid Lunacy]

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Universal Light

Which is why we need to revamp the system. The electoral college is an outdated system that was fine in its day, when communication was slow, but now, I believe that presidents should be elected by popular vote.

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by kettlebellysmith

Not too mention who is the Electoral College? Are their names even public record?? Does anyone know?..

[edit on 3-10-2008 by Lucid Lunacy]

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Political Apathy may have been a reason to not vote this year... until Palin showed up. If nothing else, we all need to vote just to insure that SHE doesn't get to the White House. If the election wasn't a month away, Palin could "pull out of the race for medical reasons" and McCain could quickly choose someone else to help him win.

new topics

top topics

join