It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Black holes in human brains?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 02:03 PM
link   
I have some thoughts i want to air. Say we cant understand what consciousness is. We can't fatthom how its like to be dead. Where does the consciousness go and so forth.

So what if our consiousness resides in another dimention, or universe? Can it be possible that it is projected through a black hole and comes out in our brains, giving us control over the body, and a sence of this reality. (kinda like in the matrix?)

Cause it seems black holes can be found in the center of things. In the galaxies out in space there is one at the center of many.

Anyway, its just a thought.. I have no idea where it came from. Do you know where thoughts come from?

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Black hole in my head? I think you just identified my problem.

My view is that consciouness in its raw form is a form of singularity but not physically a black hole of course since it both readity sends and receives information. The thoughts, feelings and perceptions are a function of biology. How these two would interface is, well, beyond anything scientifically measureable at this point. Perhaps I hint within the next paragraph.

I think the apparent (because it is not objective proveable) existence of phenominal consciousness is indeed reason to suspect that there is something more to the universe than a simple reductionist view (never mind the emergentism nonsense since any property that can emerge is intrinsic in some degree in the parts).

As far as not fathoming what it is like to be dead, just run time backwards before your body was formed and that should answer that question. Loosley speaking, birth is a death you can refect upon during your lifetime. If that sounds totally schizophrenic, well, I cannnot help that as most real thinking along those lines is apt to sound.

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 12:58 AM
link   
That's an odd point of view. I like it.
I don't actually think there is a black hole in our head literally...but metaphorically...it gets interesting. Imagine, nothing if you will. Oh snap, you can't. The idea of nothingness is one of those funny ideas. I always thought it odd that we had a word for something that we cannot subjectively (much less objectively) identify. We cannot think of nothing, because when we attempt to "think" of nothing we are, in fact, thinking of something; however, in my experiences in consciousness observation and meditation the flow of thoughts seemingly comes from nowhere or a no-place. They just appear in your mind. Also, the deeper one goes in meditation the "clearer" this line of "distinction" subjectively becomes. So, in effect, I kinda agree with the OP. While there probably is not a literal black hole in our brains (that might cause some problems later...or the OP just found what causes alzheimer's disease :lol
, I certainly believe that there is a metaphorical one.

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 07:09 AM
link   
What you (OP) are saying is basically correct. Consciousness emanates from, expands and constacts back inwards into a zero point (or as EnlightenUp says, a singularity).

quote by Torsten: "The idea of nothingness is one of those funny ideas. I always thought it odd that we had a word for something that we cannot subjectively (much less objectively) identify. We cannot think of nothing, because when we attempt to "think" of nothing we are, in fact, thinking of something;"

It seems to me that "nothingness" is an instinctive recognition of the opposite of what simply is. Think about it, nothing doesn't exist, but everything does, take away everything and whats left? It can't be experienced, but it is a fundamental aspect of consciousness. All animals and even the tiniest of life recognize it, it's what drives everything to fight to survive, that nothingness, the death, is instinctively known, there can be no other way, without it life can not exist.

Instead of thinking about nothing, become nothing, and you become everything, because all opposites unite at the deepest depths of consciousness, nothing is everything, and everything is nothing.

Twisted-Inside-Out

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 09:45 AM
link   
All of reality is a singularity. Everything is happening at the same time, at the same point in space. Three-dimensional consensual reality is an illusion.

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 09:56 AM
link   
No offense, but some of what I read above is a pile of nonsense.

If your consciousness resides in a parallel Universe, how come your judgement depends on what substance your ingested? Hint: don't drink and drive.

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Duplicate post edited out

[edit on 10-10-2008 by buddhasystem]

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 10:01 AM
link   
I certainly like that idea! >;]

So... extrapolating that a bit, perhaps scientists at the LHC will unknowingly be creating more than just miniature black holes when they finally smash some atoms?

Hmmm...

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by buddhasystem
No offense, but some of what I read above is a pile of nonsense.

If your consciousness resides in a parallel Universe, how come your judgement depends on what substance your ingested? Hint: don't drink and drive.

Because consciousness begins in this dimension and ends in another. The dimensions are not separate, they are one.

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 11:47 PM
link   
Perhaps, it's more akin to a black box...

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 06:22 AM
link   
To the OP, interesting concept. You might be right but who knows. I give you a star for simply expressing your imagination and thinking for yourself. Just ignore the personal insults. There will always be people who are driven by their egos & think they know better then anyone else. Just ignore them. I also believe that consciousness itself could possibly be external. Whatever the truth, the only thing we have to go on is our own imagination. Let's face it, deep down no one knows the real truth about the meaning of life. In that respect, we are all in the same boat.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 05:23 PM
link   
In my thoughts nothingness is everything at once.. kinda like light, with that said... Maybe not a blackhole but perhaps, its early stage, a small star (or something similar that we dont know about yet).. maybe when we die our "star" turns into a "blackhole" and our "soul, energy etc.." is sucked into the great unknown. Something has to create the energy in our bodies so yeah, there is some thought put into this.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 05:37 PM
link   
It's the same question philosophers and psychologists have been asking since the beginning of time, are the mind and brain separate. In fact your explanation doesn't sound too far off from Plato's theory of forms.

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 09:37 PM
link   
maybe the pineal gland is the black hole. Its in the center of your brain and secretes hormones, melatonin, and the sensationalized but superfluous '___'. Its shaped like a pine cone and also secretes a hormone which regulates sleep/wake patterns.

The endocrine system is a very sophisticated extracellular signaling system that produces hormones which can regulate mood, metabolism, growth, and tissue function.

Perhaps the entire endocrine system and nervous system are the ''puppet strings'' of the spirit.

I have always thought, ever since I can remember, that the ''real'' me, meaning my soul, is actually somewhere else while the me that experiences life is just a puppet, so this theory of yours resonates in my brain.

Instead of a black hole though, I imagine something more like a wormhole.

Swami Sivananda sez:
"The pineal gland is the receptor and sender of the subtle vibrations which carry thoughts and psychic phenomena throughout the cosmos. The pineal gland converts brain waves into subtle electrical energy traveling faster that the speed of light and which are stored by the individual brain."

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 09:58 PM
link   
I'm defenatley in agreement with that theory

I will come back for more thoughts on this.

Thanks for the thread

[edit on 17-10-2008 by mind is the universe]

posted on Dec, 13 2008 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Ok, everything's cool and stuff except one thing... Do you knwo what EXACTLY a black hole is? XD
It's super dense matter. Dense enough to even suck in the photons, the fastest particles known to humanity (if we think that tachyons does not exist). Also, a typical behavior for black holes is to suck all surrounding matter within it's grasp (and believe me, it is HUGE) and also, as Stephen Hawking theorised, the evaporation of black holes.
What i'm trying to say that your theory is incorrect because:
a) There is no condictions on earth to form a stable black hole
b) If it was inside your brain, it would suck in everything in your head. Later your body.. Your surroundings.. House... Country.. Planet... Solar system. And maybe more, depends on it's density.
c) Even if it WAS in your brain, it couldn't work, because black hole can only suck in matter and waves. It can NOT emit anything, so it's one-side channel. And in this case - an outgoing one. Try to imagine yourself trying to send a radio message with a simple radio.
Ofcourse i mentioned evaporation, but it won't happen until the hole has anything to suck in. And here we go back to point B.

Soo.. Sorry, but.. No way it is possible.
If you're interested to discuss - [email protected]

posted on Dec, 13 2008 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Black holes have an infinite amount of gravity and it literally sucks mass into nothingness. Has this happened to you lately?

posted on Dec, 13 2008 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Do you mean a black hole in the literal sense, or the figurative sense?

In other words, does it attract and absorb matter and energy, or, since the soul/consciousness is hypothetically intangible, does it (the "black hole") only absorb energy and/or your personal essence?

Rhetorical questions, obviously.

[edit on 12/13/2008 by prototism]

[edit on 12/13/2008 by prototism]

posted on Dec, 13 2008 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Ahhhh the black hole in my head is so dense not even common sense can escape.

posted on Dec, 13 2008 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Wow, this reminds me a unified field theory by Nassim Haramein. His theory is that all of 3D space is constructed by black holes (physicists have traditionally assumed that 3D space is held together by an "infinite" amount of energy) and his model is formal and very accurate in its predictions. You can find presentations on YouTube.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join