It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Free Knife With Your Hoodie?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 05:13 AM
link   
I still say that the knife as an accessory is a moot issue.
There is tyranny in this country.Look at the way protesters are treated nationwide.Google police brutality in the U.S.and you will see some of the same tactics that are used in 3rd world countries used against citizens here.Right now it is not safe to fight back.The public would not support it.Soon though,they will push too hard,and the world will learn why people do not screw with real American patriots...good luck with your knives when the queen sends her prostate bootlickers to your door.

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 05:37 AM
link   
When I was a kid I bought many pocket knives from the 99 Cent Store (Dollar Tree). I was no older then twelve.

We are talking about a very small pocket knife in this hoodie. A Swiss Army Knife has a bigger blade.

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 05:56 AM
link   
Again I can see the Americans are missing the point. A knife, no matter what size of blade, still cuts. Drag a 2" blade aross a face and a life is ruined.

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 05:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by daeoeste

the world will learn why people do not screw with real American patriots...good luck with your knives when the queen sends her prostate bootlickers to your door.

Oh yeah, you've got a point there, i'd better stock up with guns for when the queen comes round....

Get real man, seriously.

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 06:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Lucid Lunacy

Whatever the size of the blade its still irresponsible marketing for a fashion jacket that wouldn't last ten minutes in the rain!

Please do a search for UK knife culture and you'll see what I mean.

www.number10.gov.uk...

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 06:12 AM
link   
a 1" blade will still cut open a neck or be stabbed into a heart - so this is plenty big enough to kill.

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 06:13 AM
link   

I am glad you are over there across the pond friend,and not over here trying to ban simple tools.I know I could do these things you mentioned,like peeling an orange with my fingers,waiting till I get home to open ridiculous packaging,but this is why we have these tools in the first place.To ban or license knives is a ludicrous idea,but it is your right to cling to nonsense ideas.

edited for punctuation.

[edit on 093131p://3717 by daeoeste]

How does "Stop giving away free knives in hoodies" become "Ban or license all knives" ?

Yet again a valid point made by concerned people who live in the place where they are best informed about the situation on which they are speaking, is turned into a hysterical emotive argument by those who have no idea and merely smell a whiff of perceived - and wrongly perceived - removal of personal rights.

It's like a red flag to some people.

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 06:42 AM
link   
I'm one of those people that see value in Swiss Army knives and multi-tools and actually use them myself. However, some of the reasoning I'm seeing on this thread strikes me as being a bit peculiar.

I might keep one of these in a guitar case when I'm out-and-about, or close to hand for when I can't be bothered to pull a tool box out of my cupboards. However, when I'm walking around the street I just don't need one - in fact, no one does. I'm not altering a guitar in the street and no one is fixing some piece of machinery in the street either.

I've seen it be suggested that these might be used for camping in the woods. Now if this hooded jacket was in sale in somewhere like Millets or some kind of camping shop - or even an ex-military store, then maybe. However T.K.Maxx isn't that kind of store. It might sell some household items but generally it's a fashion store. There's no way on earth that this particular clothes item is pitched at people who might be interested in camping.

Similarly, the idea that it's good for work and opening boxes. In my youth, I did exactly that as part of my job (in the cold too). I wouldn't want to have used a Swiss Army knife for that when I could have used something like a Stanley Knife which used to come with a means of hooking onto a belt or similar. If I was doing that job now, I'd use craft knives with snap-off blades which are incredibly cheap - much cheaper than the price of this hooded jacket and twice as useful.

Also, given the price of these jackets, I'm sure they're not really items of clothing that you want to wear for work if your job involves opening boxes for a living.

There seems to be Americans raving about personal freedom to carry whatever gun, knife, halberd, pike, aircraft carrier &c they like, but the fact remains, this is a story about an incident in Britain not America (cue comments along the lines of 'good' ad nauseam).

It's not just about personal freedoms, it's about a mindset and, generally, there's a different mindset and relationship in this country regarding knives and weapons. Whether it's good or bad, we don't have that 'out of my cold dead hands' attitude or the 'pioneering great outdoors' where we need knives for grizzlies, snakes or cutting chunks off 10 pound steaks.

I can guarantee the people most likely to buy this jacket won't have ever been camping and don't like the idea of the countryside because they wouldn't know where to plug-in their games console. Not to mention actually preferring to break something rather than mend something with a tool.

Edit: various spelling mistakes. Probably missed some too.

[edit on 4-10-2008 by Merriman Weir]

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 06:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by somedood
You Brits blow my freaking mind with your ignorance.

Oh noes, lets get hysterical shall we !

Lets begin...

Answer me this: How many people each year die of knife wounds in the UK? And how many people die of car accidents each year in the UK?

And you idiots want to ban knives?

Read the article dood...

Link

Now, YOU answer this - Who is calling for a ban on anything? I've not seen a single poster in this thread scream for a ban, only that such clothing NOT be provided with a free knife in a country with an increasing rate of knife crime - knives which the store allegedly denies knowledge of in the first place.

The only ones I've seen screaming about bans, are the people who think that by screaming about it and calling people idiots, and disregarding any common sense whatsoever, they are somehow important members of society standing up for rights they ignorantly think are being removed - simply because they either lack the ability to see whats being said, or just don't care.

Care to calm down, or are you still seeing red flags??

The first person to start on this entire "Ban knives, outlaw knives" rubbish was verylowfrequency who decided to ignore the article, and what people were saying, by getting all emotive and hysterical.

Originally posted by verylowfrequency
I see the NWO has taken over the minds of some folks in the UK.

It's clear some of you people have been brainwashed by the same folks who don't want us carrying life sustaining bottled water or nail clippers on airplanes. I used to have one of the mini Swiss tools on my keyring until it became a nuisance having to remove it every time I needed to fly. Now when I need it I don't have it, so I have to scrounge for a tool or buy something for temporary use.

I guess the UK is becoming a real prison yard and they have all the inmates programmed to accept not having common sense by allowing people to carry convenient valuable tools.

I figured some day you nutcases would want people to have a license for knives, so I have to hire someone to cut my food.

So, people concerned about a store giving away "free knives in designer clothing" become programmed Brainwashed inmates and nutcases. Right.

Next it was ZyPHeR who decided to up the anti - with no regard to what was posted between his reply and verylowfrequency's post.

Originally posted by ZyPHeR
So let me get this straight... you would like to ban ALL knives altogether??

...snip...

Even a small piece of plastic can be made into a prison-type shiv... but should we ban all DVD cases from being made? Nope. Just get rid of the idiots who would make a weapon out of it. Thanks.
-Z-

Wow, the leap of logic is amazing. People concerned about knives being sold as an accessory to designer clothing, are now the sort who'd want a BAN on ALL knives and also want to ban DVD cases. Whew... And yet, still not one person who raised concern about the knives, has called for anything to be banned or licensed or outlawed whatsoever. Astonishing.

Next on the list we have daeoeste, who also seems to think that not giving away free knives with designer clothing, equates with BANNING SIMPLE TOOLS. Hysterical rhetoric and blind ignorance spewing so violently out it's almost impossible to remember that the OP was about a store selling clothing which contained a concealed knife in a country which has an alarming rise in knife crime. Yet, ignore that, ignore the facts, and continue to up the anti - Banning Simple Tools now...

I am glad you are over there across the pond friend,and not over here trying to ban simple tools

...snip...

Next in line, we have OTTOKARMA, who seems to just pipe up for no other reason than to show an entire lack of understanding of what the point is at all. But hey, it's always good to just blurt out random statements followed by lots of LOL'ling, because thats what makes a thread so worth while, eh!?

Originally posted by OTTOKARMA
Cars Kill bunchs of peoples everydays !!!

a guy killed another guy with a wooden chair !!!

Lets boycott chairs and cars , its dangerous and it kill peoples!!

ok ok guys, you can throw rocks at me i have my helmet.....

I give up, I see the entire point of all of you're 'arguments' have NOTHING to do with the topic nor the concerns raised.

Go polish your guns, eat your cows, kick the dog, beat the wife and wash the trailer. Since we're all not giving any credence to reality, I'll leave it at that.

*sigh*

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 07:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Harlequin
a 1" blade will still cut open a neck or be stabbed into a heart - so this is plenty big enough to kill.

A school pencil is also plenty able and deadly. Jam one of those in a neck.

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 07:43 AM
link   

Soon though,they will push too hard,and the world will learn why people do not screw with real American patriots...good luck with your knives when the queen sends her prostate bootlickers to your door.

Eh? What the hell is a prostate bootlicker? Are you still clinging onto your blunderbus in case king george comes a knocking?

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Ok, its tempting to pull up these paranoid rednecks for drinking too much moonshine, but at the end of the day their central points are essentially right; there IS an equal and opposite culture in this country.

For example, Guns USED to be a large part of UK society too and in the space of 50 years gun ownership has been wittled down to virtually nil. All it takes is for some tragedy to occur (Hungerford, Dunblaine etc) and a little bit more freedom to own and use these things is taken away from us. You can see the same process occuring in Finland right now.

The call for knives to be controlled too in the UK has been made in recent months, with one of the stronger suggestions being removing the pointed end on kitchen knives, as its only purpose seems to be to stab.

I know no-one here is calling for anything like this, however the general outrage at giving away knives with hoodies CAN be seen to be part of the same wave of control, daily mail hysteria etc.

As for myself i used to carry knives around all the time when i was a kid, until my dad found out and beat me for it. Never did it again. But i do believe should someone come into my home and trys to nfbsk with me, i should be allowed to shoot them in the face. Never mind all this NWO rubbish.

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by ZyPHeR
O.K. whoa whoa whoa. Lets back it up. Im sure that almost no street thug is gonna run out and buy this jacket cuz it has a knife attacked to a chain in it. Whys this knife better than other knives? Why wouldnt one just buy a 10$ throwaway hoodie at Wak*Mart and then just buy a 3.5 or even a 4 inch blade which would be much more menacing. I think the point of attaching a knife is obvious. Its not for crime, but for convenience. Say you are working in the cold, opening boxes for your company? Theres your knife. Say you're camping in the woods and need to open something or even cut meat or other types of food? It has the same properties as any other knife ever made. The fact that its attached to a sweatshirt doesnt make it any different.

OH MY GOD, DID YOU GUYS HEAR?? THEYRE ATTACHING PROPELLERS TO HATS SO THAT STREET THUGS CAN DO RUN-BY CHOPPINGS!! :O
No, its so you can look like a complete idiot, whilst wearing a dumb hat.
Its obvious.
-Z-

I know, the hysteria in the UK amoungst the gladed and cosy middle class is utterly deafening at times.

They seem to now associate 'knife' with danger. When its the wielder not the knife that is the real danger.
The trouble is these fools who yell and shriek seem to have a weight that means stupid regulations and laws are passed which penalise the lawful members of society.

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Maybe if people in the UK were allowed to bear arms and defend themselves the hoodlums would think twice before attacking someone because it might cost them their life.

The only reason knife crime is so big over there is because you live in a disarmed society. I live in Flint Michigan and gun crime here is no where near as bad as the knife crime in the UK. Hell I'm 10 minutes away from a barber shop that sells shotguns. There is not a murder on the streets every day. Because the thugs here don't know who is armed and who isn't. Because of this, the thugs around here would MUCH rather steal crap from a construction site or a home for sale instead of mugging someone for their pocket change.

And a reply to Bloodcircle: Yeah maybe I got it wrong with no one here requesting a knife ban, but it has been proposed in your country. And furthermore this is not a free knife. The knife is part of the hoodie, the hoodie is NOT free. Besides that no one has even posted a picture of this hoodie to my knowledge. What if this hoodie is meant for fisherman, hunters, hikers, or rockclimbers? Every one is screaming how this is targeted at kids. Was it a spongebob hoodie or something? Last time I check knives weren't allowed in schools and the clothing manufacturers knew that. To me that says this was not intended to be marketed to kids.

Would it be better if they check for ID before selling this hoodie?

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Man_Versus_AntiMan
Ok, its tempting to pull up these paranoid rednecks for drinking too much moonshine, but at the end of the day their central points are essentially right; there IS an equal and opposite culture in this country.

For example, Guns USED to be a large part of UK society too and in the space of 50 years gun ownership has been wittled down to virtually nil. All it takes is for some tragedy to occur (Hungerford, Dunblaine etc) and a little bit more freedom to own and use these things is taken away from us. You can see the same process occuring in Finland right now.

Out of curiosity, extrapolating on your point about Hungerford &c, what was the "tragedy" that altered things 50 years ago? I'm 40-years-old so obviously I wasn't around 50 years ago, but I'm not aware that Britain had any real gun culture as such. I could appreciate, due to rural areas being bigger &c, there might have been more guns related to that, but I think it's a massive stretch if you're alikening gun culture in America with what you're claiming regarding Britain up until the 1960s.

It's also misleading to compare any such gun culture as the two reasons would have been founded on different principles. I'm forever hearing that American gun ownership is rooted in the idea of protecting themselves from a government (or the Beastly British) as much as their neighbours. Since when has that been part of the British psyche?

I know no-one here is calling for anything like this, however the general outrage at giving away knives with hoodies CAN be seen to be part of the same wave of control, daily mail hysteria etc.

It "CAN" but it doesn't necessarily mean it is the case though and I think you're aware of it with the way you've used the word. There are different elements to this story rather than a stereotypical Daily Mail knee-jerk reaction. There's the claim that T.K. Maxx didn't know about the knives in the first place, which is frankly rubbish and has drawn understandable ire. There's also the fact that there had been a fairly recent instore stabbing and murder of a TK Maxx employee and in that context alone it seems such a weird and wrong story.

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by somedood
What if this hoodie is meant for fisherman, hunters, hikers, or rockclimbers? Every one is screaming how this is targeted at kids.

But the shop that sold this isn't aimed at "fisherman, hunters, hikers, or rockclimbers". Whilst it sells also sells some household stuff, generally speaking it's a 'fashion' clothing shop aimed at mainly a younger demographic. It's certainly not a camping or ex-military shop.

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by dodgygeeza

I don't see why a two and a half inch blade being sold with a jacket is such a concern, its not like knives are difficult to get a hold of to begin with. Selling a knife as an accessory isn't promoting violence, knives are tools, how the individual chooses to use is can make it a weapon. The same goes for cars, chainsaws, guns, bananas, etc.

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 12:22 PM
link   
It's just a gimmic that they knew could be argued well from both sides so their hoodies would get talked about.

The scenario: I know that this company sells knives in hoodies, it doesn't offend me in any way, and now I'm going to check out what other hoodies they offer. If they have a really sweet one with a bottle opener or a penlight, I'm probably going to order it (it's October and I gotta be stylin this Fall) when my next paycheck comes in.

That's why they put them in there. Not for crime, not for usefulness, but for getting their name out so they can sell more hoodies.

[edit on 4-10-2008 by whitl103]

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 12:49 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 12:58 PM
link   
The hoodie is the new 21st century equivalent of the mid 20th century black leather motorcycle jacket and boys like pocket knives. I bought a Swiss Army watch and got a free knife 15 years ago. the watch band broke and the watch was lost in the Guadalupe River while running rapids, I still use the knife. I have carried a pocket knife, and when needed a sheath knife or machete since I was eight years old. The idea of cutting or sticking someone isn't of any priority to me. I was stabbed in the neck just below the the jaw bone joint, not by a knife but a broken bottle. The guy that did it had to go to the hospital before he went to jail. I had a knife in my pocket but never considered employing it as a weapon. I really do believe the world is going mad.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join