It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Class in Posting

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 01:09 PM
link   
In my life, "class" is a highly cherished quality, so I couldn't agree more.
But I also know that it's something that cannot be learnt.
Restraint, yes; discretion, up to a point; but "class"... no.
(It's too closely associated with innate intelligence to be teachable.)

However, I do believe that the overall quality of posting could be improved - perhaps vastly - by simply removing quantitative competitiveness: the point system.

Why do we need points at all?

A person who really has something to say is not going after points and could not care less about them.

And if there is a need for some sort of exterior "ranking" (in order to... what exactly? ;-), I am sure some other system could be devised.

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 01:22 PM
link   
I have nothing to add but my support. I hope that's enough. Excellent post.

For myself, I strive, if not for class (I think I lack the 'breeding') than for tact, courtesy and respect most especially when disagreeing with someone. I hope I succeed at least the majority of the time. As I see it, civility and respect don't come from whether or not we agree or disagree, but how we approach, and, more importantly, how we react and interact afterward.

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by TravelerintheDark
I have nothing to add but my support. I hope that's enough. Excellent post.

For myself, I strive, if not for class (I think I lack the 'breeding') than for tact, courtesy and respect most especially when disagreeing with someone. I hope I succeed at least the majority of the time. As I see it, civility and respect don't come from whether or not we agree or disagree, but how we approach, and, more importantly, how we react and interact afterward.

No amount of "breeding" can inculcate respect and the genuine human courtesy that translate into "class".

And vice-versa, you don't need "breeding" to have those precious qualities, and thus, class.

I wish I could give you a star, but I can't.
How about a smile?

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Vanitas

Thank you. A smile is more than sufficient to let me know I am on the right track. At least at that particular moment, I was
As I said, I try, but the only true judgment on whether or not I succeed is the responsiveness of my peers. And I tend to think that if we don't encourage as much or more as we discourage we are only inviting greater conflict. So I really am grateful.

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Thanks all! I'm glad people are responding positively. I'll say something about my using the word "class".
Class is an individual's choice. Class, to me, is what my mom taught me. She said:

"You can't always be right and you won't always be wrong, but, the manner in which you conduct yourself is the key. You can be right all day, but, if you don't show respect and self-control (class), no-one will care what you have to say anyway."

Mom was pretty smart.

Cuhail

(so, is it any indication that only a relative few have posted in support of this topic? I notice that "The Bully Pulpit" with it's strict policy of "no flaming" has relatively low post counts as well. Is Class in Posting really a dying art?)

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 06:35 PM
link   
Bump to remind folks that Class in posting still may exist.

Tally Ho! Pip pip, harumph.

Cuhail

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join