It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The worlds views of the American and British ways of life

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 11:39 AM
link   
just curious as to what the rest of the world people think of the American and Brithish way of life, ideologies, law system and the general way of life.

all opinions welcome, Be it good or bad comments your views are appreciated.

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 12:48 PM
link   
We're not too different here, we're very similar to the British except for a different general attitude and outlook on life. Our laws are pretty much the same as Britain, if Ireland makes a big change to legislation, the British government will watch if it is successful, then follow suit in many cases and visa versa.

British things i like: Tesco
Dave Clarke, Space Djz, left hand side driving, London, Binge drinking(even though ye Brits can never keep up) & BSkyB to name but a few.

The main problems i can see that people have against the British:
Residual Colonial superiority attitude, Football Hooligans & Churchill insurance

Also similar in the 'western society' way to the US except we're not so much into the excessive materialism and the superiority complex/attitude problem that a lot of Americans seem to have in regards..... ALMOST EVERYTHING
But we can put that down to a cultural thing.
We're similar enough in laws and living standards.

American things i like: Subway, Stargate, the Detroit techno Militia, New York and Apple to name but a few.

The main problems i can see that people have against the USA:
Warmongering, MTV attitude problem, ignorance and excessive capitalism.

[edit on 3/10/08 by Dermo]

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Well I can give some insight, but these are just based on some of my own experiences so take them with a grain of salt.

This year in New Zealand I was out one night in a very small town called Coromandel Town. Here in the states, many people may refer to a town such as this as a hicktown, hicksville, or the sticks. The town and few people I interacted with, reminded me a lot of the same small town I grew up in. I'm sure you can picture one of your own or just google Coromandel Town for info.

Well one night we were out at the local bar, and this guy starts talkin' to us, he appeared to be really smashed. Here are some of his views on America..

• he had heard that the US was the "worst country in the world"
  • Americans eat powdered eggs and butter
  • American women are hot and easy

The tone of the conversation was very anti-US, but I went along with it anyways. When I asked how long he had lived in Coromandel Town he replied, "Born and Bred." He also said that in Fiji they put coconut into everything, which we found out a short time later is untrue.

In the end this is just one guy though. I certainly can't make any blanket statements about Kiwi's. I met many very cool ones. But, aren't his points of view what you kind of expect out of a small town mind?

Actually believing I eat powdered eggs for breakfast?

If you wanna understand anyone's way of life you have to go out and see it, or better yet, live it. I think there are people all over the world that are misinformed.

-Liquid

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Since the last posts to this question were myseriously removed, I will repeat mine.

I think your country is great! But to be honest, the royalty thing is something that is very outdated and doesnt help matters in your governing body.

With all due respect, God save the Queen and all that, this is the modern era. Societies are far more complex that they dont need to be led by a king and queen.

Its time for tea.

Cup o Earl Gray...hot.

Cheers!!!!

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Cup o Earl Gray...hot.

And a bag of fish and chips

new topics

top topics

join