It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

British views of the American way of life

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 11:07 AM
link   
just curious as to what the British people think of the American way of life, ideologies, law system and the general way of life.

all opinions welcome, Be it good or bad comments your views are appreciated.

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 11:24 AM
link   
What about Aussies opinion also? And the Europeans'?

Hey, I would like to hear it from all sides. I think they already know well how we feel about their crumpets and tea-obsession, and kangaroos, sugar gliders, etc.

And we already know that most in the world think of Americans as fat, lazy, and quite ignorant to the rest of the world.... Is there anything else to us at all? Does anyone at ATS still consider most Americans to be war-mongers, like I do?

EDIT: to make better sense... heh

[edit on 3-10-2008 by LostNemesis]

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by AmbroseRokewood
just curious as to what the British people think of the American way of life, ideologies, law system and the general way of life.

all opinions welcome, Be it good or bad comments your views are appreciated.

Good call Mr. Rokewood. I think it would be fair to say that us Brits tar the Americans with their recent foreign policy and extract sweeping generalizations from it.

There was an interesting article in last week's Daily Telegraph (I'll try & supply it) about how the permanent secretary of the Nobel Prize for literature has spoken out that the Great American Novel is no more and should be disregarded from the prize's shortlist. His name is Engdahl and is Norwegian but his point is an interesting one and that is: parochialism. He ventures that American culture is insular and self interested. Other contributers posited that it is symptomatic of a capitalist nation with nowhere else to go (navel gazing if you will).

Well Engdahl certainly caused a Transatlantic stink among the literati. As a fan of Updike, Delillo & Roth, it rubbed me up the wrong way. But it was good to hear the point aired.

Is it true that roughly only 20% of US citizens hold a passport?

[edit on 9/10/08 by Catesby]

new topics

join