It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

H.I.M Haile Selassie - Rastafarian Christ

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2004 @ 05:08 AM
link   
I don't believe that there is any conspiracy surrounding Haile Selassie's death. He was a man, and men die.

If you look at the way the religion formed though, you will see that it has it's counterparts.
Is it not an exact copy of Christianity? It revolves around a messiah figure, is based on Biblical history and is aimed at a society under oppression. It's basic tenets are love, peace and harmony yet it still has the contradiction of another society as it's enemy.

If Rastafarianism had formed 2000 years ago around a shadowy figure lost in history, instead of one whom we have been able to well document, would some people here still be questioning it?

posted on Mar, 25 2004 @ 10:21 AM
link   
I remember hearing a radio interview Bob Marley's mother where she was talking about her book Bob Marley, my son. In it she stated that he did have cancer and knew that he had it. One thing that stuck in my mind is when Bob was at a low ebb and said 'Why did Jah give me cancer ?" I felt for the man and his family when I heard that. He was cut down far too early.

posted on Mar, 25 2004 @ 10:29 AM
link   
aaahhh bob marley and his cancer..
now this one, i have heard lots of stories about from Rastas and Jamaicans. It seems their distrust for Babylon plays big into this.

Bob was about to play soccer, when he put on his shoe, something pricked his toe, he brushed it off...his toe got infected...the infection spread to thru his body and finally into his brain. now rastas claim that Babylon actually poisoned bob and infected him with the cancer.

I have some books on the life of bob, I will research and come back with more details for you, since there are a few variations of this story..but Rastas firmly believe that Babylon intentionally killed Bob Marley to try prevent him from becoming the hero he is, and to stop him from spreading his rastafarian message.

one love!

posted on Mar, 25 2004 @ 10:34 AM
link   
here's one of the articles I had booked marked about Marley's death... suggesting CIA ties?

CHANTING DOWN BABYLON; The CIA & the Death of Bob Marley

posted on Mar, 25 2004 @ 11:35 AM
link   
leveller, sorry dude, I totally overlooked your post. You made good points.. I would think that if this happened centuries ago..more people would have been accepting of Haile Selassie being the Christ, because we wouldn't have been able to prove otherwise.

Rastafarianism isn't an exact copy of Christianity, it is influenced by many other religions including Eastern Hindu philosophy. The dreadlocks and weed smoking was borrowed from the Shiva sadhus of India, who also grow dreadlocks and partake in smoking the herb. Rastas base their religion more on the Ethiopian Orthodox sect of Christianity with emphasis that Babylon and Satan corrupted all other versions of the religion and the bible to hide the prominence of Blacks and keep them in slavery and the slave mentality. They feel that the King James Version is the only version that comes closest to what the original message was.

[Edited on 3-25-2004 by worldwatcher]

posted on Mar, 25 2004 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by worldwatcher
lRastafarianism isn't an exact copy of Christianity, it is influenced by many other religions including Eastern Hindu philosophy.

That's what I meant by a copy. Christianity didn't just spring up overnight. It also took a lot of it's structure from other religions. I should have made myself clearer.

I meant a copy in as much as how they both came about to exist.

posted on Apr, 2 2004 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Worldwatcher are u Jamaican?

i thought i was the only J'can on this board

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 02:37 PM
link   
I believe I have found the source of the nail imprint on HIM Selassie's hand story which validates the beliefs of Rastas that he was indeed an incarnation of Jesus. The source I believe is the account of Rita Marley.

www.bobmarley.com...
As the Daimler limousine drew parallel with her, Rita's thoughts were not positive. "How is it they are saying that this man is so great," she wondered, "when he looks so short, with his army hat over his head in such a way I can't even see his eyes."

"Then I said to myself, 'What am I even thinking about? Jesus is a spirit.'" At that exact moment Haile Selassie raised his face: he looked directly into Rita's eyes and waved. "And I looked into his hand and there was the nail-print. It was a mark, and I could only identify that mark with the scriptures of history, saying, 'When you see him, you will know him by the nail-print in his hands.'"

"So when I saw this, I said to myself that this could be true, this could be the man of whom it was said: 'before the year 2,000 Christ will be a man walking on this earth.'"

btw, I have yet to find any other corroboration of this "nail imprint" from any other source, but it is commonly accepted as "truth" by Rastas I have spoken to.

[edit on 3-21-2005 by worldwatcher]

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 02:59 PM
link   
as far as i know the rastas was mistajlkken in fact selassie was merely a descendant of king david, and he came from the same lineage of jesus christ. now case in point, why were they mistaken? was it because they were reading a bible translated full of errors, it bears in mind of the fact also, that throughout history, that man has always look for a saviopur like himself.peace out

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 03:17 PM
link   
I agree the Rastas were mistaken in their proclamation of Selassie being the god on earth. Personally I see HIM Selassie as a man of inspiration for the people, but from all of my readings about his life, there is no case to support his "divinity".

Just like all other religions, Rastafarianism has various sects. Even today within their own culture, there are various groups who still argue this point. There is a sect who acknowledge Selassie and sing songs in praise of him. There is another sect who points out Selassie himself denied any "divinity" and therefore should be listened to and do not put him in the same regard and then there is another sect which follows more of the Ethiopian Orthodox practices.

[edit on 3-21-2005 by worldwatcher]

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by crusader
as far as i know the rastas was mistajlkken in fact selassie was merely a descendant of king david, and he came from the same lineage of jesus christ. now case in point, why were they mistaken? was it because they were reading a bible translated full of errors, it bears in mind of the fact also, that throughout history, that man has always look for a saviopur like himself.peace out

Born 1892 in Ethiopia, in the royal house of David, his bloodline is descendent from Solomon and Sheba and related in the family bloodline to Jesus Christ. Source BBC

Interesting stuff.

Does anyone have a family tree that shows the lineage of Haile Selassie from Solomon and Sheba?

I found this text about a possible bible contradiction involving Solomns father Kind David

1 Samuel 16:10-11 clearly implies that Jesse, the father of Israel's King David, had at least eight sons, of which David was the eighth. But 1 Chronicles 2:13-15 indicates that Jesse had only seven sons, and that David was the youngest. Which text is correct? How many sons did Jesse really have? And how can the Bible be trusted if you read one thing in one place and a totally contradictory statement in another place

Selassie is allegedly decendent of Solomon ( Davids Son, Jesse's Grandson) but what of the other Sons and Daughters of Jesse and David...is there any individual/Family today that claims they are decendents?

Just as an aside I was also wondering...Jesus ( it is claimed ) was a decendent of King David but was that on his mother Marys side or Josephs?

I only ask because if it is on Josephs side....As none of Josephs blood flows through his veins ( Because he was the product of an Immaculate conception) he is not a decendent of David...therefore...he is not the Messiah of Prophecy!!

Anyway, maybe that is for another topic but Ladies, it may be worth investigating the role of Women in Rasta culture before you start singing Redemption songs....

[edit on 22-3-2005 by BobDylan]

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 10:20 AM
link   
great post

I maybe wrong, but I think the entire royal bloodline of the Ethiopian monarchy all claim to be direct descendants of Solomon and Sheba. got to go look for that link now

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Nice research worldwatcher!

I agree that Haile Selassie is the Christ, a living God, H.I.M. for all the rastafarians, and his struggle to fight for his country has given hope to the young rastafarians in Jamaica. They saw him as a descendant of King David and King Solomon, and therefore was a divinity for them, not a human.

But he was also a man. While he was wearing fancy uniforms and gold, his people of Ethiopia were starving. He wasnt the perfect ruler, and he was far away from Christ. But he gave alot of hope to the people and therefore many reggae artists consider his name sacred and ofthen used in songs of praise. The real miracle was the prophecy of Sir Marcus Garvey, that foretold, that this empereor Ras Tafari Makonnen will arise, a bloodline of King Salomon and Queen Sheeba.

Well he has visited our country of ex-Yugoslavia for numerous times, and was a great friend of our ex-leader Tito. They liked to talk and to smoke togather.

posted on Apr, 3 2005 @ 07:22 PM
link   
wow what a great thread all together...can't beleive i missed this one

don't really have much to add but as you can see I'm a huge Marley fan

and now this makes more sense when i hear bob say "god is a living man" in his one song get up stand up...i'm not intotal agreement of that but i do not disrespect it either..."preacher man don't tell me heaven is under the earth, I know you don't know what life is really worth, its not that all the glitter is gold, have the story has never been told"

posted on Apr, 23 2005 @ 12:33 AM
link   
I do not see why this is a conspiracy. You explained their beliefs after you said you'd explain why it is a conspiracy.
Please explain the conspiracy. There is no reason that I can see why this is a conspiray, but you are welcome to explain it now, please.

posted on Apr, 23 2005 @ 01:15 AM
link   
////Quote///There are major differences between the sect and the church.
The first being the worship of Emperor Haile Selassie as the Messiah/Savior. The church has stated many times that their commission from Emperor Haile Selassie was to lead Rastafarians away from worshiping him and turn to the worshipping of the God he worshipped.
It is said that upon his return to Ethiopia from Jamaica, the Emperor spoke to Abuna Yesehaq, the Archbishop of the Ethiopian Orthodox Church and declared "There is a problem in Jamaica.... Please, help these people. They are misunderstanding, they do not understand our culture.... They need a church to be established and you are chosen to go."

////To what the above says is that MAN is the cause of many things.....power and wanting the high position....///
Do I think there was a conspiracy?
Not much different to other consp....man and his wanting'' POWER''.....
Bob Marley loved the Orthodox Church......and below are more web sites ..
Bob marley also sang soulful songs...

www.jamaicans.com...

www.rastafarispeaks.com...

helen.....

[edit on 4/23/2005 by helen670]

posted on Apr, 23 2005 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Ah, the conspiracy is that they want to punish the white man, right?

Kill me, maybe?

Is that the conspiracy?

Interesting.

And, why go back to Africa after they rid the world of the white folk? The Africans have been doing a good job and fatally damaging the African ecosystem, why go back there? Makes no sense.

posted on Apr, 23 2005 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheBandit795
Rastafari is a religion.

All I have to say about that is I hope that Bob Marley is around when I get out of this world, I'd love to hear what he has to play and say now. I once thought him a great man, maybe even a prophet. His apparent adherence to a religion that an earlier poster says teaches "hatred of the white race" (of which I am decidedly a part), has not changed my mind. I just think now that he was even more severely deluded than I imagined.

There sure were (and are yet) a lot of white people who buy, love and play his music endlessly and he did sing of togetherness of the races, unless one is prepared to say his music was in code.

Which I have to admit that back in the day, when I was engulfed with reggae music, I often thought I detected something just beyond understanding that gave the lie to the mangled English words. I pushed those thoughts away because, first, I didn't want it to be true, and secondly, because I was usually high, and thought I was being paranoid.

Once I "put away the childish things" having become a Christian, I still found I enjoyed the rhythm but the intensity of the enjoyment is definitely diminshed and more so since reading previous posts here.

Rastafarianism, imo, is an earth-bound religion, adhered to by those who desire earthly "princehood" more than the heavenly. Religious, yes, but truly spiritual, no.

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by curiousity

I must agree. There is only one who saved us from our sins by sacrificng his own life. The blood of the lamb is the truth and no other. one love

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 07:07 AM
link   

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join