It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can anyone please answer these questions!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 12:59 AM
link   
Yes, I peacejet, am only 6 months old to the internet world and one and half months old in ats/bts, and I see a lot of short forms here, like,

1.LOL
2.ROFLMA
3.BTW
4.IMO
5.OP
6.IMHO

And I am clueless about what they mean, can anyone give the expansion and also other short forms which are in use here.

It would be greately appreciated.

[edit on 3/10/08 by peacejet]

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 01:15 AM
link   
1.LOL (laugh out loud)
2.ROFLAMA (roll on floor laughing my ass off) i assume you mean roflmao
3.BTW (by the way)
4.IMO (in my opinion)
5.OP (opening post)
6.IMHO (in my humble opinion)

Hope that helps

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 01:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by OzWeatherman
i assume you mean roflmao
Hope that helps

Yes, I meant roflmao, and thanks for the expansions.

This is not a one liner.

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 02:44 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 05:33 AM
link   
reply to post by peacejet

You might take a look at this site:

Internet Slang

to get a huge list of these abbreviations.

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 05:43 AM
link   
A useful site:

urbandictionary.com

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 06:16 AM
link   
I have a question.........

Why do we abbreviate and bastardize a perfectly good language ?

I realize that language, any language, is a constantly changing and developing method to communicate between people. But really, this whole text message and internet short-cut system developed over the past few years has me baffled.

I've never rolled on the floor and laughed my ass off, have you ?

My butt is still firmly attached, and I can have a good chuckle without falling from my chair and rolling on the floor.

Can't we just use understandable words to express our views ???

EDIT: Don't point out my linguistic contractions.
They're far more proper an abbreviation than something like "lol" or "rotflmao".

[edit on 3/10/2008 by anxietydisorder]

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 06:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by anxietydisorder
I have a question.........

Why do we abbreviate and bastardize a perfectly good language ?

I realize that language, any language, is a constantly changing and developing method to communicate between people. But really, this whole text message and internet short-cut system developed over the past few years has me baffled.

I've never rolled on the floor and laughed my ass off, have you ?

My butt is still firmly attached, and I can have a good chuckle without falling from my chair and rolling on the floor.

Can't we just use understandable words to express our views ???

EDIT: Don't point out my linguistic contractions.
They're far more proper an abbreviation than something like "lol" or "rotflmao".

No anx..I have never LMAO, but I have fallen off a chair laughing.
I truly think lol is highly overused. I even hear teens SPEAKING it.
So much for improving the literacy of society. We have been reduced to text speak.:shk:

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 07:13 AM
link   
reply to post by AccessDenied

That kills me when I hear teens say OMG to each other in a face to face conversation:bnghd: This is the generation that will decide how my retirement years go:shk:

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 07:31 AM
link   
reply to post by AccessDenied

Language is a funny thing, it's something I've tried to understand through more than one lifetime.

I used "bastardize" in the post above, but it was within context and is acceptable, but it hasn't always been that way.
I said "little bitch" in another thread a few hours ago, but that was also totally acceptable because it was in reference to a lovely female dog that raven bombshell just rescued.

I can type the word "black" and it works just fine.
I can use the Spanish version "negro" and that's still fine.
I follow the derivation of the word black to Latin and that is blocked.
The auto censor blocked "n-i-g-e-r" so that it looks like this niger.

Now add one more "g", it still denotes black, but "'n-word'" is totally verboten.

I may never understand the evolution of language because it changes rapidly through the generations, but words like 'n-word' only hurt if there is a hurtful intent behind it's use.

I guess old fogies like me will just have to try and keep up with this new text talk.

EDIT: Am I even allowed to use the word "verboten" ?
Those damn Nazis did some nasty (crap) to a lot of innocent people. Are we even allowed to talk about them now ?

We might be better off with someone's arbitrary revisionist version of history.

Oh, I forgot, we already did that.
The winner gets to write the history books.

:shk: I think I wandered off topic a little bit, but web nomenclature is the subject so I didn't go too far off.

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Thanks to all of you for contributing the various websites regarding this internet shortform or slang.

And I am taken aback that there are so many short forms as there are words in english.

Seems that I have a lot of home work to do learning these

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 12:15 PM
link   
I do believe that lol has evolved and basically means "I understand you made a joke or funny remark and I agree with you on a humorous level"

I think that I may actually and physically "laugh out loud" maybe 1 time out of 10 that I use the expression.

And even then its only maybe a chuckle.

Its just like when you watch a funny movie by yourself...do you laugh as hard as you do when you watch it with friends? Probably not.

Just an expression that has become universal.

However, I hate people who think that they are "too smart and intelligent to dumb down and use such primitive language"

If you want to be an English teacher then do so.

Its like people who are debating in a forum and attack a person based on their spelling just because they don't have an intelligent response to the subject at hand.

But this is the internet...lighten up!

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 12:44 PM
link   
IDK, ITIRSMS. ICUULSOCPFT. BCO!
Errrr...
I don't know, I think it's really stupid my self. I can understand using lazy speak on cell phones for texting. But come on!:bnghd::bnghd::bnghd:

Okay got my sarcasm fix for the next 10 minutes.

Edit: I don't mind "lol". Typing out hahahaha is just weird for me.

[edit on 3-10-2008 by Slash]

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Hmmm! judging from the amount of short form, I think this will evolve into a new language itself.

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Language is about communication, it is a way of expressing, confering and transfering information between people.

People will always, change the English language regardless, whether it is to the dislike of others or not.
Does anybody spell or say these words in the way they were intended?

Goal = Jail.
Shoppe = Shop.
Colour = Color
A recent example of pronunciation and spelling; Aero-plane = Air-plane.

See what I mean?

In regards too spelling and the like too poke fun and degrade other peoples threads, I can see why this is done, particularly when the thread title is "To the CIA, NSA and FBI dudes." (Or something too that effect) Where the particular OP was trying too ask whether they are suitable candidates for a job and their spelling and grammar were that bad that he was flammed to death.

There are particular times when spelling and grammer are very important and then there are times like this in "general chit-chat" when it is not.

Using abbreviations of words in a face too face conversation really get too me (24/7, etc.) As was posted above "OMG", I haven't heard this in a "real life" conversation yet, but I am sure when I do, I will cringe.

Internet slang has it's place in the world, on the internet.

The English language is a complex beast.

Cheers, Fox.

(BTW: Sorry for the bad grammer and spelling, lol. Also thanks if anyone read this post.)

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by fox_3000au
Goal = Jail.
Shoppe = Shop.
Colour = Color
A recent example of pronunciation and spelling; Aero-plane = Air-plane.

Internet slang has it's place in the world, on the internet.

The English language is a complex beast.

Cheers, Fox.

(BTW: Sorry for the bad grammer and spelling, lol. Also thanks if anyone read this post.)

Can I have one clarification, isnt 'color' the american english pronounciation and 'colour' the england english pronounciation, and I dont get how goal=jail, can you clarify that.

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 02:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by peacejet

Can I have one clarification, isnt 'color' the american english pronounciation and 'colour' the england english pronounciation, and I dont get how goal=jail, can you clarify that.

It appears to be a simple spelling error where it should read "gaol=jail".
The pronunciation remains the same roughly, though you do need to consider local accents.
www.tfd.com...

Not to single you out, but now let's look at your paragraph.
It should read......

"Can I have one clarification ?
Isn't 'color' the American English spelling and 'colour' the British English spelling ?
I also don't understand how goal=jail, can you clarify that ?
"

Ten plus errors that I can spot in just a couple lines. :shk:
I'm sure a student in English could find more, and probably some with the edits I made.

Maybe we should just dump this whole language police thing that goes on within internet boards and let people communicate as best they know how.

With so much diversity on the net and in the world there will never be a way to standardize the way all people express themselves so that all others understand.

[edit on 5/10/2008 by anxietydisorder]

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 05:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by anxietydisorder
"Can I have one clarification ?
Isn't 'color' the American English spelling and 'colour' the British English spelling ?
I also don't understand how goal=jail, can you clarify that ?
"

Ten plus errors that I can spot in just a couple lines. :shk:
I'm sure a student in English could find more, and probably some with the edits I made.

Maybe we should just dump this whole language police thing that goes on within internet boards and let people communicate as best they know how.
[edit on 5/10/2008 by anxietydisorder]

I accept that I am not an expert in english, and I am trying my level best, to improve my english, and it seems that I am slowly succeeding in this with the help of pointing of the usage of words, by members like you. Thanks for that.

posted on Oct, 7 2019 @ 04:55 AM
link   

top topics

join