It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

HELP !!! Very odd letter from the Oregon DOR

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 11:40 PM
link   
Ok.... Here goes... I got a very odd letter from the Oregon "Department of Revenue" today.. I am trying to make sense of this, but can't.

This is a 'Request-to-file Notice'.

From Tax Program: Consumers Cig Tax.
Period Ending: 1/31/05

And it seems to read:

'We do not have an Oregon Cigarette Consumer's Monthly Tax Report for the period shown above. If you think you filed a return, you need to provide a copy. If you were not required to file a report, you must provide information to show why. If you should have filed, you have 30 days from the date of this letter to file an Oregon Cigarette Consumer's Monthly Tax Report.

If you do not file a report or provide the required information, we will determine the tax from the information available.

Please send the report and your payment or the required documentation, along with this letter to: Cigarette Tax, Oregon Department of Revenue, PO Box #####, Salem, OR 97309. If you have any questions, please contact us. If you are licensed to do business in the state of Oregon, continued failure to file reports may cause your license to be suspended (ORS 305.385)

Tobacco Compliance Unit
Compliance Staff
Oregon Dept. of Revenue
Telephone: ###-###-####

Please help. This is addressed to me... So I don't think it's a scam sent out to many people. Is it a scam? Why would a Govt agency use a PO Box?

If this is real, how does the govt know I am a smoker, and what tax are they talking about?? I pay Oregon cig tax every time I buy a pack, so I don't owe anyone anything???
Is this a tax RETURN, on the cig tax I have been paying for years? What IS this?!?!? Anyone?

EDIT Typo
]

[edit on 2-10-2008 by LostNemesis]

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 11:48 PM
link   
Sounds like BS to me.Look up the state directory and see if there is such an organization.

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 11:51 PM
link   
This is really not a one line, or anything

But, here it is:
oasis.iservices.state.or.us...

EDIT: Ok... It must be a scam or something. The zip code and address are totally different.
This is just weird.

[edit on 2-10-2008 by LostNemesis]

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 12:05 AM
link   

Consumer Reporting

Anyone who purchases untaxed cigarettes via the internet or some other source must pay cigarette tax to the state. Purchasers are required to file a monthly Consumer Tax Return to report all purchases of untaxed cigarettes and remit the tax due. The report is due on or before the 20th day of the month following receipt of the cigarettes.

By law a consumer can purchase up to 199 cigarettes in a single lot or shipment and not be subject to the tax. If purchasing more than 199 cigarettes in a single lot or shipment, all of the cigarettes purchased are subject to the tax.

The tax is $0.059 per cigarette, which calculates out to $1.18 per package of 20.

For more information refer to the laws and rules, Oregon Revised Statutes (ORS) 32.005-323.995.

* Additional information on Oregon's cigarette taxes

Department of Revenue: Tobacco Taxes

Did you ever by smokes over the net? If you did, it looks like the company you bought them from shared the name with the enforcement agency.

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 12:07 AM
link   
reply to post by LostNemesis

Sounds like a scam. You should definitely call the number on the Oregon.gov page, and ask them about it. If it is a scam, it should be reported. People like that make me angry!!

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 12:08 AM
link   
reply to post by loam

Thanks for the info, but this doesn't apply to me. I have never once bought from out of state. Always a local store.

Could this mean there's been some mistake? What are the ramifications of ignoring such a threat? lol

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 12:10 AM
link   
reply to post by TheHypnoToad

Thanks for that. I hope you are right.

Surely a govt agency doesn't collect taxes to a PO box? lol

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 12:11 AM
link   
reply to post by LostNemesis

Don't ignore it.

Call the agency. Describe the letter and document who you speak to and what is said. Then do the next logical thing.

Ignoring it could cause greater problems later.

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 12:14 AM
link   
reply to post by loam

Thank you. Seems like a good choice. Hopefully this really is just a scam of some sort, and... These Tobacco Nazi's have nothing to say to me.

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 05:10 AM
link   
My advice is to first call your district attorney's office and describle to them exactly what you have. Scam artists are getting extremely tricky. They will be able to tell you if it is legit, my guess is that it is not. If it is a scam of some sort then I'm sure that the DA's office will want to know about it. Do not call the # on the letter, and by all means, do not give out any personal information.

Rush

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 08:32 AM
link   
I hate to say this, but I think it might be legit. Are you sure you didn't order any tobacco product over the internet in December 2004 or January 2005?

Is the P.O. Box they want you to send it to:

Oregon Department of Revenue
PO Box 14110
Salem OR 97309-0910

You might try one of the following contact numbers (found on pdf of 2005 Form 514, "OREGON CIGARETTE CONSUMER’S MONTHLY TAX REPORT":

General tax information.............www.oregon.gov/DOR
Tax Services....................................................503-378-4988
Tax Services: Toll-free from Oregon prefix...1-800-356-4222
Salem Tobacco Compliance Unit................503-945-8120

Here's the site I'm looking at: Oregon Department of Revenue

I've gotta say, this is absurd. I'm a reformed smoker and we're supposed to be the worst, but this just strikes me as downright nasty. Who keeps a receipt for a carton of cigarettes from three and a half years ago? Good luck with it

EDIT: Rush is probably right about calling the D.A.'s office first, by the way. It can't hurt and if it does turn out to be a scam they should definitely know about it. Keep us posted?

[edit on 10/3/08 by americandingbat]

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 09:33 AM
link   
I don't know....the more I check this out the more I'm starting to think that it might be legit too. I was checking for out of state cigarette tax laws in my own state, Indiana, and I am finding the same info (based on this article dd: 2005).

INDIANAPOLIS – Hundreds of Hoosiers around the state who have been purchasing cheap smokes via the Internet are getting a belated message from the state – a bill for unpaid cigarette taxes.

The Indiana Department of Revenue initiated a quasi-pilot project in April and has sent out 160 bills seeking $54,000 in cigarette taxes.

The department subpoenaed the customer and mailing lists of three major online cigarette vendors and began sending tax bills based on those purchases, which go back to July 2003.

Source

I'm a smoker and I had no idea about this. I don't buy my cigarettes online, but buy plenty out of state when I travel. But according to the Oregan law, I'd better leave 1 cigarette at the state line if I buy a carton.

Be sure to update when you find out what's going on.

Rush

new topics

top topics

join