It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Species die-off may be underway: experts

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 04:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

Then please state the species destroyed by the result of the current global warming phenomenon, was it the river dolphins, I must admit the harpoon was probably very warm.

[edit] Also "if" global warming was found to be a result of humans taking the world for granted then we are still responsible for those extinctions.

[edit on 3/10/2008 by spitefulgod]

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Anyways I don't want to argue in this thread any longer it's as futile as the threads which pit atheist against religious believers, human made global warming against the natural cycle, et, etc

Here are some linked articles
www.well.com...

I bid you farewell and hope you can treat each animal you see with a little dignity as one day we'll probably make them all extinct.

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by DisabledVet

Actually the Watt prediction is a good example of science at work.

kenneth watt did say "if present trends continue their could be a new ice age" and his theory was that the clouds of pollution were blocking sunlight cooling the globe. He looked at the data , identified a cause then made a predcition on the data in hand.

The thing watt didnt know was that the cooling due to blcoked sunlight would only be temporary and the higher co2 levels in the atmosphere will overcome this and eventually raise the global temp. 1976 arrived the hottest year on record and put pay to any cooling trend. Watt took the new data on board and went on to be a proponent of global warming. When the data goes against your theory you must change it. Watt did , thats how science works.

we have 30 years of data which goes against your theory that global warming is bull. Will you be like Kenneth watt & revise your conclusions in the face of it?

[edit on 3-10-2008 by yeti101]

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by spitefulgod

From environment.about.com...

How Global Warming Affects Wildlife

The key impact of global warming on wildlife is habitat displacement, whereby ecosystems that animals have spent millions of years adapting to shift quickly. Ice giving way to water in polar bear habitat is just one example of this.

Some examples that could be attributed to either anthropogenic or non-anthropogenic warming....

• Marmots end their hibernations about three weeks earlier now compared to 30 years ago.
  • Polar bears today are thinner and less healthy than those of 20 years ago.
  • Many fish species are moving northward in search of cooler waters.
  • A fruitfly gene normally associated with hot, dry conditions has spread to populations living in traditionally cooler southern regions.

These are just a few examples. Although it refers to global warming, I use it as a generalised example (as opposed to anthropogenic vs non-anthropogenic) because this data would be correct either way.

I guess then the argument backtracks now to the argument over whether climate change and global warming is occurring and whether or not it is anthropogenic.

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by spitefulgod
Anyways I don't want to argue in this thread any longer

I guess that's typical really. Come in, get angry at the OP for no reason, blow off some steam then scoot before the other person can refute or respond.

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Arent we constantly finding new creatures as well. Just like the argument that if areas are getting colder- how can there be global warming. If we are finding new animals-arent they replacing old ones. There may be more than there should be but I would assume that to stop any species from becoming extict, would be trying to stop evolution all together. things come and things go, humans will go extict in the scale of eternity, and what will replace us.

we are also able to more precisely identify and catalog these things better than ever - just like we can monitor the weather better than ever, all in the last couple hundred years. 200 years of accurate documentation is barely a benchmark for a planet that is 4.6 billion years old, and I dont think anyone knows what is really going on as we are still climbing over the brink of all this scientific knowledge, and will hit more and more obsticles along the way trying to substantiate what we think is happening to the planet. Its all guesses, some more educated than others.

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 07:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Subversive_Populous

I would like to remind, once again, that finding new creatures is not the equivalent of replacing old ones. Those "new" species were here just as long as the ones that died out. We just didn't know about them. It is a symbol of how much we do not know about our world... We're finding new ones because they are alive. If they died out yesterday, and the exploration team doesn't get funding to go there for another fifteen years, we might not know that they ever existed at all.

Saving a species does not "stop evolution". Evolution is forever occurring, its rate depending on external pressures. Maybe if it did mean it stopping, though, we'd have more participation in rescue efforts.

Also, about global warming -- it is a common misconception that every area will heat up, and is really a confusion of two phenomena. "Global warming" refers to the average increase of temperature globally. "Climate change" is the result from that warming, but can vary from region to region. Each region has a unique set of factors determining its current climate. The global increase of temperature can throw a wrench in that equation, potentially changing the outcome, but it does not always mean a direct increase of temperature. By some of the models they've produced, for instance, the area where I was born is predicted to become wetter and slightly cooler.

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 09:13 PM
link   
This is natural as far as I am concerned.It could be no other way,and all we can really do is try to curtail it,but we can never stop it.I say it is natural because of the way our minds work to manipulate nature to our advantage.Other species do this to an extent,but we are the best at it.

On the other hand,it is also natural for disease to spring up and threaten us all every once in a while.I think that the only solution is to move into space,which I believe will happen one day.We can not avoid the fact that we are changing the planet we share with other species,most definitely to the demise of SOME other species.This should not give us free reign to systematically and intentionally destroy other species,we should try to slow it down,but that goes for a great many things we do to this planet.

Things do not have to be this way,but they will be until the next great war when many of us will not be around,and in the aftermath of this great war,which WILL happen,a society will restructure itself accordingly,and most likely will be more in balance with nature because of the way technology is shaping a 'greener' future.

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 09:35 PM
link   
I just cannot understand the people that so casually say that everything happening on the earth is *natural.* What a fricken cop out! Well sure, everything can be said to be natural, but that is like murdering someone and saying, "well, that was natural!"

The fact is that man's foot print on this planet is absolutely HUGE. Just take a detailed look around the globe from google earth (zooming in here and there) and see how human civilization has pock marked and raped the planet from one end to the other. And to just casually say all this is *natural* is the most ignorant and idiotic thing one could imagine!

That people can slough off so casually that we are precipitating the extinction of life forms which took 100's of millions of years to evolve on this planet (and with it, our own selves)! We should be destroyed as a race for being so arrogant, ignorant, and careless towards this home we call call earth. And indeed, we shall also perish as we destroy our very home (I guess some of you will happily defend our right to do so).

[edit on 3-10-2008 by whatsup]

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 09:44 PM
link   
Good, for as long as the ecosystem continues to break down so will the human's ability to survive. Until recently, environmental impacts due to increasing consumption of resources were not noted. As far as new species being found; that should not be unusual considering how many more humans populate the planet now than say 100 years ago.....and the increase in technology, which would easily explain why more discoveries are being made.

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by whatsup
I just cannot understand the people that so casually say that everything happening on the earth is *natural.* What a fricken cop out! Well sure, everything can be said to be natural, but that is like murdering someone and saying, "well, that was natural!"

The fact is that man's foot print on this planet is absolutely HUGE. Just take a detailed look around the globe from google earth (zooming in here and there) and see how human civilization has pock marked and raped the planet from one end to the other. And to just casually say all this is *natural* is the most ignorant and idiotic thing one could imagine!

That people can slough off so casually that we are precipitating the extinction of life forms which took 100's of millions of years to evolve on this planet (and with it, our own selves)! We should be destroyed as a race for being so arrogant, ignorant, and careless towards this home we call call earth.

I am glad short sighted people like you are not running things.If more people thought like you,We would commit mass suicide or mass murder and we would never make it to space.You have a lot of friends in high places pal,which is scary enough.But,you are a minority,and nothing makes me happier.

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 09:58 PM
link   
reply to post by daeoeste

If more people thought like you,We would commit mass suicide or mass murder and we would never make it to space.You have a lot of friends in high places pal,which is scary enough.But,you are a minority,and nothing makes me happier

Trust me, if I had friends in high places like what you claim, people would not be allowed to senselessly destroy this planet with abandon! However, it is the corporations and those that live for ego, materialism, and greed which are obviously in power. To not give a shi**t about destroying one's own home and "craddle" is about as ignorant as it gets!

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 10:16 PM
link   
You should read what I said more carefully.I am outraged at the abandon and carelessness that these people employ,but I draw a line at saying we should all die because of the actions of a few.These things will work themselves out,things do not always happen the way they should,and some escape justice while here on earth.This is natural.It does not mean it is right,it means that it IS.This is not a cop-out.We can work to change it.This is an important issue,it deserves attention.But you do not compensate by killing everyone.Leave that to nature,both human and terrestrial.You are not acting on natures behalf by suggesting that "we all die."You are acting in a vacuum of your own perception,which can never be as far reaching as nature itself.It is supreme arrogance on par with those who are doing the damage you despise to think otherwise.

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by daeoeste

You are not acting on natures behalf by suggesting that "we all die."

Well, perhaps I did not follow your thoughts as carefully as I should, but neither did you mine. For example, you are putting words in my mouth by claiming that I advocate that "we all die." What I mean by this is that we are part of the intricate web of life. Heck, we even have millions of bacteria which constitute our cells. I was simply stating that we are not immune as a race from a mass extinction which we would precipitate on the planet - and that we would die accordingly.

Now I did say that we don't deserve the life we have if our arrogance causes us to destroy our home (and I mean that!). However, I would never intervene by advocating harming myself or others (though I do agree in population control by limiting births etc.)

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 11:33 PM
link   
reply to post by DisabledVet

I take no stand either way other than noticing that the weather in general seems to be about as insane as a rabid hyena, however, it would be nice if you posted some PROOF to back up your words instead of just babbling like half the idiots on this site.

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 03:59 AM
link   
Elephant Bird
Upland Moa
King Island Emu
Kangaroo Island Emu
Korean Crested Shelduck
Réunion Shelduck
Mauritian Shelduck
Amsterdam Island Duck
Mauritian Duck
Mariana Mallard
Finsch's Duck
Pink-headed Duck
Labrador Duck
Auckland Islands Merganser
Pile-builder Megapode
Viti Levu Scrubfowl
Raoul Island Scrubfowl
New Zealand Quail
Himalayan Quail
Double-banded Argus
Javanese Lapwing
Tahitian Sandpiper
White-winged Sandpiper
Eskimo Curlew
Slender-billed Curlew
Great Auk
Canarian Black Oystercatcher
Antillean Cave-rail
Hawkins' Rail
Red Rail
Rodrigues Rail
Bar-winged Rail
New Caledonian Rail
Wake Island Rail
Tahiti Rail
Dieffenbach's Rail
Sharpe's Rail
Vava'u Rail
Norfolk Island Rail
Chatham Rail
Réunion Rail
Ascension Flightless Crake
St Helena Crake
Laysan Rail
Hawaiian Rail
Kosrae Island Crake
Miller's Crake
St Helena Swamphen
Lord Howe Swamphen
Réunion Swamphen
Marquesas Swamphen
North Island Takahē
New Caledonia Swamphen
Samoan Wood Rail
Makira Wood Rail
Tristan Moorhen
Mascarene Coot
Colombian Grebe
Alaotra Grebe
Atitlán Grebe
Bermuda Night Heron
Réunion Night Heron
Mauritius Night Heron
Rodrigues Night Heron
Ascension Night Heron
New Zealand Little Bittern
Spectacled Cormorant
Small St Helena Petrel
Large St Helena Petrel
Jamaica Petrel
Guadalupe Storm-petrel
Chatham Islands Penguin
St Helena Dove
Passenger Pigeon
Bonin Woodpigeon
Ryukyu Woodpigeon
Réunion Pink Pigeon
Rodrigues Turtle Dove
Liverpool Pigeon
Norfolk Island Ground-dove
Tanna Ground-dove
Thick-billed Ground-dove
Choiseul Crested Pigeon
Red-moustached Fruit-dove
Negros Fruit-dove
Mauritius Blue Pigeon
Rodrigues Grey Pigeon
Dodo
Rodrigues Solitaire
New Caledonian Lorikeet
Norfolk Island Kākā
Society Parakeet
Black-fronted Parakeet
Paradise Parrot
Oceanic Eclectus Parrot
Seychelles Parakeet
Newton's Parakeet
Mascarene Parrot
Broad-billed Parrot
Rodrigues Parrot
Glaucous Macaw
Cuban Red Macaw
Carolina Parakeet
Guadeloupe Parakeet
Sinú Parakeet
Martinique Amazon
Guadeloupe Amazon
Delalande's Coua
St Helena Cuckoo
Cuban Kite
Bermuda Hawk
Guadalupe Caracara
Réunion Kestrel
Réunion Owl
Mauritius Owl
Rodrigues Owl
Laughing Owl
Puerto Rican Barn-owl
Bahaman Barn-owl
Siau Scops-owl
Siau Scops-owl
Jamaican Pauraque
Coppery Thorntail
Brace's Emerald
Gould's Emerald
Alfaro's Hummingbird
Bogota Sunangel
Turquoise-throated Puffleg
Ryūkyū Kingfisher
Giant Hoopoe
Imperial Woodpecker
Ivory-billed Woodpecker
Stephens Island Wren
Bush Wren
Táchira Antpitta
Kioea
Chatham Island Bellbird
Lord Howe Gerygone
Maupiti Monarch
Eiao Monarch
Nuku Hiva Monarch
Ua Pou Monarch
Guam Flycatcher
Banggai Crow
North Island Piopio
South Island Piopio
Huia
White-eyed River Martin
Chatham Islands Fernbird
Tana River Cisticola
Lord Howe White-eye
Black-browed Babbler
Aldabra Brush-warbler
Rueck's Blue Flycatcher
Grand Cayman Thrush
Bonin Thrush
ʻĀmaui
Kāmaʻo
Olomaʻo
Kosrae Island Starling
Mysterious Starling
Tasman Starling
Pohnpei Starling
Bay Starling
Bourbon Crested Starling
Rodrigues Starling
Cozumel Thrasher
Black-lored Waxbill
Slender-billed Grackle
Bachman's Warbler
Réunion Fody
Tawny-headed Mountain Finch
Bonin Grosbeak
Lanaʻi Hookbill
Pila's Palila
Lesser Koa Finch
Greater Koa Finch
Kona Grosbeak
Greater ʻAmakihi
Nukupuʻu
Hawaiʻi ʻAkialoa
Greater ʻAkialoa
Kakawahie
Oʻahu ʻAlauahio
ʻUla-ʻai-hawane
Black Mamo
Hawaiʻi Mamo
Poʻo-uli
Hooded Seedeater
Antioquia Brush-fi

This sounds like a good bar-b-q to me.
Just kidding.Nobody get their panties in a wad,lest you increase your carbon footprint from the release of all the carbon monoxide that I will be breathing out due to my hysterical laughter.

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 06:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Siblin
You don't comfort a victim of a tornado with "Oh, it's natural." We have to live on this planet, you know. There's little choice in that.

What I said wasn't meant to comfort anyone, only to prepare for the inevitable.

[edit on 4-10-2008 by Dragonfly79]

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Dinosaurs were around for 228 million years. It would be quite unfortunate for the human being to be extinct after just 0.044% of that time don't you think?

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 07:36 PM
link   
reply to post by whatsup

well are humans not part of nature? If you recognize that we are, wouldn't that mean the outcome of our existence would have to be described as natural?
if not, are you implying that humans are separate from nature? it sounds like a sense of superiority over the earth if humans can't be described as natural. Who is to say that what we do to the earth and the functions we serve are not part of a natural order?
in that respect, you are right that making the claim that "it's just natural" is a cop-out, but so would be arguing against it..

just offering the argument.

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 07:45 PM
link   
reply to post by kidney thief

Oh, we're natural all right. But we most certainly are not part of a natural "order". That's the key difference. We've excluded ourselves from it on the basis of convenience. We thrust ourselves into every inch of this Earth, with little to no regard for whatever “balance” may exist there. A new balance will eventually form, of course, if we don’t manage to destroy ourselves in the process. Those that can adapt to our presence will form part of that new order. Those that can’t…well. You’ve read the topic article.

Apparently we’re pretty hard to live with.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join