It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Species die-off may be underway: experts

page: 1
2
<<   2  3  4 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 11:35 PM
link   

Species die-off may be underway: experts


news.smh.com.au

Earth's animal and plant species are vanishing at unprecedented rates, evidence that the planet is facing a tsunami of mass extinction, experts gathering for a global conservation conference next week have warned.

Whether through habitat loss, pollution, hunting, or indirectly by global warming, humans are squarely to blame for what may be the first major die-off in 65 million years, they say.
(visit the link for the full news article)




posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 11:35 PM
link   
While this is shocking news, I for one am not totally surprised to hear this. I doubt anybody could deny that humans are somewhat behind the cause for this, but I am hesitant to lay complete blame on us.


"The evidence is overwhelming - and we have really good data now - that what we are seeing is probably a mass extinction," the sixth in 450 million years, said Michael Hoffman, a mammal expert at IUCN who worked extensively on the Red List.


Based upon that comment I have a feeling that perhaps this is not an entirely unnatural extinction - that what we are witnessing is the beginning of the end of our 'age', just like what happened to all the other extinct species in Earth's earlier days which cannot be attributed to human interference.

news.smh.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)



posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 11:49 PM
link   
It seems that we have lost touch with the earth.




He said he was just back from a field trip in the Kruger National Park of South Africa, where he witnessed awe-struck children seeing giraffes and elephants close-up for the first time.
news.smh.com.au...

ANd if we lose touch with the earth we will lose touch with nature.

When we lose touch with mother earth, nature, we then have misused our place as the garden keepers of this gift from God and we will lose our children as a result.



posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 12:09 AM
link   
Moderator shouldn't this thread be moved to the "Jokes and funny things" section of ATS?


Such fears had been building for many years. In the first Earth Day in 1970, UC Davis’s Kenneth Watt said, “If present trends continue, the world will be about four degrees colder in 1990, but eleven degrees colder by the year 2000. This is about twice what it would take to put us in an ice age.”

International Wildlife warned “a new ice age must now stand alongside nuclear war” as a threat to mankind.

Science Digest said “we must prepare for the next ice age.”

The Christian Science Monitor noted that armadillos had moved out of Nebraska because it was too cold, glaciers had begun to advance, and growing seasons had shortened around the world.

Newsweek reported “ominous signs” of a “fundamental change in the world’s weather.”



Plain and simple, your a bonafide 100% pure SHEEP if you buy into this crap.


GLOBAL WARMING IS A BUNCH OF HOT AIR.

[edit on 3-10-2008 by DisabledVet]

[edit on 3-10-2008 by DisabledVet]



posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 12:22 AM
link   
Although these extinctions seem to be happening at a high rate, one cannot entirely that this point in time is different than any other. Most people dont realize how many species exist on earth and that we are constantly discovering new ones. Dozens are discovered every day, so we dont really have any real basis to compare this rate to. On the other hand, it is still alarming because it definately could be global warming related but lets not forget about the numerous other issues; namely natural selection


MedLine

On a side note, I tried to send a U2U to you whitraven but it appears I have to have 20 posts before I can do that. In your post you talked about humans losing touch with Mother Earth. Im not sure if you're a big reader but if you are then you should read "Ishmael" by Daniel Quinn. Its an entertaining book that relates to alot of these issues.



posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 12:23 AM
link   
reply to post by DisabledVet
 


It seems you have grabbed onto just two words from the entire article - "Global Warming". There are two things I would like to say about this:

1. I do not believe the article is directly blaming 'Global Warming'. Also, if you had have actually read what I wrote in my opening statement I surmised that this is not an unnatural extinction event.

2. You do not seem to understand the fight over Global Warming. Not many people say that it is not occurring, just whether it is humans causing it. I fall into the catagory where I believe Global Warming is occurring but I also believe it is part of Earth's natural cycle, not anthropogenic. I also believe, given this article is true, that the extinction is partially caused by this non-anthropogenic warming.



[edit on 3/10/2008 by Kryties]



posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 12:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kryties
reply to post by DisabledVet
 


It seems you have grabbed onto just two words from the entire article - "Global Warming". There are two things I would like to say about this:

1. I do not believe the article is directly blaming 'Global Warming'. Also, if you had have actually read what I wrote in my opening statement I surmised that this is not an unnatural extinction event.

2. You do not seem to understand the fight over Global Warming. Not many people say that it is not occurring, just whether it is humans causing it. I fall into the catagory where I believe Global Warming is occurring but I also believe it is part of Earth's natural cycle, not anthropogenic. I also believe, given this article is true, that the extinction is partially caused by this non-anthropogenic warming.



[edit on 3/10/2008 by Kryties]


Please provide evidence anywhere in my post where I specifically mentioned you.




Im waiting.



Yawn......


Oh, you cant find one. OK, I'll accept your apology now.



posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 12:54 AM
link   
Here's a link for you...

Indigenous Herders and Small Farmers Fight Livestock Extinction


The industrial model of livestock production is causing the worldwide destruction of animal diversity. At least one indigenous livestock breed becomes extinct each month as a result of overreliance on select breeds imported from the United States and Europe, according to the study, “The State of the World’s Animal Genetic Resources,” conducted by the UN Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO). Since research for the report began in 1999, 2,000 local breeds have been identified as at risk.




...taps...



posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 12:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by DisabledVet
Moderator shouldn't this thread be moved to the "Jokes and funny things" section of ATS?


From the very beginning of your post you surmised that this post was not worthy of being in a serious forum and should be treated as a joke, thereby insulting the OP of the thread - that person being me. The very fact that you totally disregard anything else written in the entire article, and focus on just two words that you twist out of context speaks to your wish and want to derail this thread and those that participate in it.

Yawn. Next??



posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 01:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by DisabledVet
Moderator shouldn't this thread be moved to the "Jokes and funny things" section of ATS?

...

GLOBAL WARMING IS A BUNCH OF HOT AIR.


There's nothing funny about this, DisabledVet. I invite you to read the article again. Mentally scratch out the phrase "global warming" in all of its appearances if you wish.

Species go extinct. Just like everything dies. But we're doing a nasty bit to our fellow creatures, there's no doubt about it.

Here are some of the creatures that we have recorded likely having gone extinct:

*takes deep breath*

Elephant Bird
Upland Moa
King Island Emu
Kangaroo Island Emu
Korean Crested Shelduck
Réunion Shelduck
Mauritian Shelduck
Amsterdam Island Duck
Mauritian Duck
Mariana Mallard
Finsch's Duck
Pink-headed Duck
Labrador Duck
Auckland Islands Merganser
Pile-builder Megapode
Viti Levu Scrubfowl
Raoul Island Scrubfowl
New Zealand Quail
Himalayan Quail
Double-banded Argus
Javanese Lapwing
Tahitian Sandpiper
White-winged Sandpiper
Eskimo Curlew
Slender-billed Curlew
Great Auk
Canarian Black Oystercatcher
Antillean Cave-rail
Hawkins' Rail
Red Rail
Rodrigues Rail
Bar-winged Rail
New Caledonian Rail
Wake Island Rail
Tahiti Rail
Dieffenbach's Rail
Sharpe's Rail
Vava'u Rail
Norfolk Island Rail
Chatham Rail
Réunion Rail
Ascension Flightless Crake
St Helena Crake
Laysan Rail
Hawaiian Rail
Kosrae Island Crake
Miller's Crake
St Helena Swamphen
Lord Howe Swamphen
Réunion Swamphen
Marquesas Swamphen
North Island Takahē
New Caledonia Swamphen
Samoan Wood Rail
Makira Wood Rail
Tristan Moorhen
Mascarene Coot
Colombian Grebe
Alaotra Grebe
Atitlán Grebe
Bermuda Night Heron
Réunion Night Heron
Mauritius Night Heron
Rodrigues Night Heron
Ascension Night Heron
New Zealand Little Bittern
Spectacled Cormorant
Small St Helena Petrel
Large St Helena Petrel
Jamaica Petrel
Guadalupe Storm-petrel
Chatham Islands Penguin
St Helena Dove
Passenger Pigeon
Bonin Woodpigeon
Ryukyu Woodpigeon
Réunion Pink Pigeon
Rodrigues Turtle Dove
Liverpool Pigeon
Norfolk Island Ground-dove
Tanna Ground-dove
Thick-billed Ground-dove
Choiseul Crested Pigeon
Red-moustached Fruit-dove
Negros Fruit-dove
Mauritius Blue Pigeon
Rodrigues Grey Pigeon
Dodo
Rodrigues Solitaire
New Caledonian Lorikeet
Norfolk Island Kākā
Society Parakeet
Black-fronted Parakeet
Paradise Parrot
Oceanic Eclectus Parrot
Seychelles Parakeet
Newton's Parakeet
Mascarene Parrot
Broad-billed Parrot
Rodrigues Parrot
Glaucous Macaw
Cuban Red Macaw
Carolina Parakeet
Guadeloupe Parakeet
Sinú Parakeet
Martinique Amazon
Guadeloupe Amazon
Delalande's Coua
St Helena Cuckoo
Cuban Kite
Bermuda Hawk
Guadalupe Caracara
Réunion Kestrel
Réunion Owl
Mauritius Owl
Rodrigues Owl
Laughing Owl
Puerto Rican Barn-owl
Bahaman Barn-owl
Siau Scops-owl
Siau Scops-owl
Jamaican Pauraque
Coppery Thorntail
Brace's Emerald
Gould's Emerald
Alfaro's Hummingbird
Bogota Sunangel
Turquoise-throated Puffleg
Ryūkyū Kingfisher
Giant Hoopoe
Imperial Woodpecker
Ivory-billed Woodpecker
Stephens Island Wren
Bush Wren
Táchira Antpitta
Kioea
Chatham Island Bellbird
Lord Howe Gerygone
Maupiti Monarch
Eiao Monarch
Nuku Hiva Monarch
Ua Pou Monarch
Guam Flycatcher
Banggai Crow
North Island Piopio
South Island Piopio
Huia
White-eyed River Martin
Chatham Islands Fernbird
Tana River Cisticola
Lord Howe White-eye
Black-browed Babbler
Aldabra Brush-warbler
Rueck's Blue Flycatcher
Grand Cayman Thrush
Bonin Thrush
ʻĀmaui
Kāmaʻo
Olomaʻo
Kosrae Island Starling
Mysterious Starling
Tasman Starling
Pohnpei Starling
Bay Starling
Bourbon Crested Starling
Rodrigues Starling
Cozumel Thrasher
Black-lored Waxbill
Slender-billed Grackle
Bachman's Warbler
Réunion Fody
Tawny-headed Mountain Finch
Bonin Grosbeak
Lanaʻi Hookbill
Pila's Palila
Lesser Koa Finch
Greater Koa Finch
Kona Grosbeak
Greater ʻAmakihi
Nukupuʻu
Hawaiʻi ʻAkialoa
Greater ʻAkialoa
Kakawahie
Oʻahu ʻAlauahio
ʻUla-ʻai-hawane
Black Mamo
Hawaiʻi Mamo
Poʻo-uli
Hooded Seedeater
Antioquia Brush-finch




...Okay, I changed my mind. I'm not going to list everything that has gone extinct after all, because I think I would be typing at this computer for much longer than I anticipate being awake. I'm not even going to finish the birds. I hope that this is visually striking to you, at least.

Oh, and I got those from Wikipedia. Which means that hopefully, some of those birds on that list actually still do exist. Unfortunately, it is even more likely that there are many, many more that are not on that list, or any list. Joy.

Species don't evolve fast enough to replace what is being lost at the same rate that they are disappearing. Most of those birds on that list died out because of overhunting, loss of habitat, and/or introduction of outside species by us (like cats or rats).

It is always good to remember that survival of the fittest doesn't mean being the only thing left alive on the planet. ...Although that won't ever happen with us, I'm sure. Nature is smarter, tougher, and altogether more fit than we could hope to ever be. Just look at the water bear.


You know, in my worst of moments, I wished that humans would someday join that list of perished creatures. Now, though, I just hope that we live to mourn it.


[edit on 3-10-2008 by Siblin]



posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 03:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Siblin


There's nothing funny about this, DisabledVet. I invite you to read the article again. Mentally scratch out the phrase "global warming" in all of its appearances if you wish.

Species go extinct. Just like everything dies. But we're doing a nasty bit to our fellow creatures, there's no doubt about it.







GOOGLE SEARCH:

Extinct species: 601,000 for extinct species

New species found: 7,780,000 for new species found



(Next we shall be hearing how Google means nothing, when almost assuredly, those trying to counter my statements have used Google for their very "ammunition")

[edit on 3-10-2008 by DisabledVet]

[edit on 3-10-2008 by DisabledVet]



posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 03:28 AM
link   
Could you please post the links to where you got this information DisabledVet as I do not seem to be finding any definitive number when I Google.

In what time frame have each of your examples been taken from? It seems to me that you are using two completely different timeframes to illustrate your example.



posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 03:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kryties
Could you please post the links to where you got this information DisabledVet as I do not seem to be finding any definitive number when I Google.

In what time frame have each of your examples been taken from? It seems to me that you are using two completely different timeframes to illustrate your example.




LOL....

Those are search results pumpkin.

It is easy to surmise with more than a 7,000,000 hit difference in search terms, there just might be a chance that we discover more species on a daily basis than we notice a species become extinct.


The "time frame" I retrieved the information from was during the 3rd day of the 10th month in the year of our lord 2008.

Are you from earth? (Perhaps this was the first question I should have asked)

[edit on 3-10-2008 by DisabledVet]



posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 03:40 AM
link   
reply to post by DisabledVet
 


OK I thought you were typing the NUMBER of extinct species, not the number of web pages that talk about each topic. Could you please explain why, just because one has more web pages about it than the other, why this is relevant at all to this topic?

Just because Species found has more web returns on it than extinct species does not mean that more newer species have been found. Your point makes no sense at all.

Oh and calling me 'pumpkin' and deriving that I may not be from earth is silly and childish mate. Please attempt to debate this topic without resorting to silly insults.

[edit on 3/10/2008 by Kryties]



posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 03:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kryties
reply to post by DisabledVet
 


OK I thought you were typing the NUMBER of extinct species, not the number of web pages that talk about each topic. Could you please explain why, just because one has more web pages about it than the other, why this is relevant at all to this topic?

Just because Species found has more web returns on it than extinct species does not mean that more newer species have been found. Your point makes no sense at all.


OK then,

GOOGLE NEWS SEARCH:

1,904 for "new species discovered".

558 for "gone extinct"

Typing "extinct" cant be used as it brings up "Species THOUGHT extinct now found" in many of the search terms.

Google "NEWS" is a better indicator of news stories about the finding or the extinction of species, as it details "new findings" either way..



posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 03:53 AM
link   
reply to post by DisabledVet
 


How exactly does that relate to this topic and why would the number of page returns on Google have anything to do with the number of species going extinct as opposed to newer species being found? I am totally confused as to your logic.



posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 03:57 AM
link   
It would be time to construct some kind of ADN Databse "Noha's Arc" like one that already exists i think is related to "seeds" of every plant species in order to survive an holocaust or some kind of doom event.



posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 03:58 AM
link   
It should be entirely obvious that many species are being exterminated by mankind. I remember as a young child going out with my father and catching a multiple variety of amphibians and reptiles during the course of a few hours. Now I am lucky to see less then a dozen of the hardier species of amphibians and reptiles during the course of an entire summer while deliberately searching for them with my very own son.

Would it have to do with the insane amount of insecticides, landscaping practices? I would personally have to say that is a large part of the problem, not to mention the decimation of these species habitat that they dwell, and breed in. Maybe the vast expanse of roadways cutting off their routes of travel. Did I mention the general hatred towards animals, even from members of the fellow human race, that is exerted daily by a large part of the "civilized" species that inhabit this planet?

In a college environment I regularly listen to fellow classmates brag to others about killing animals for fun. When I say anything in defense of any of these animals they brag about slaying, the majority of the people that overhear look at me like I am the abnormal person out of their group of classmates. It is a truly disgusting phenomenon to bear witness too. I sometimes wish that they were to be put through the torture they enjoy bragging about instead of their animal victims.

So much for a higher learning huh. I would have to say that these animals have more of a right to exist here then these people that abuse them for their own amusement.



posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 04:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Satanlike god
It should be entirely obvious that many species are being exterminated by mankind. I remember as a young child going out with my father and catching a multiple variety of amphibians and reptiles during the course of a few hours. Now I am lucky to see less then a dozen of the hardier species of amphibians and reptiles during the course of an entire summer while deliberately searching for them with my very own son.

Would it have to do with the insane amount of insecticides, landscaping practices? I would personally have to say that is a large part of the problem, not to mention the decimation of these species habitat that they dwell, and breed in. Maybe the vast expanse of roadways cutting off their routes of travel. Did I mention the general hatred towards animals, even from members of the fellow human race, that is exerted daily by a large part of the "civilized" species that inhabit this planet?

In a college environment I regularly listen to fellow classmates brag to others about killing animals for fun. When I say anything in defense of any of these animals they brag about slaying, the majority of the people that overhear look at me like I am the abnormal person out of their group of classmates. It is a truly disgusting phenomenon to bear witness too. I sometimes wish that they were to be put through the torture they enjoy bragging about instead of their animal victims.

So much for a higher learning huh. I would have to say that these animals have more of a right to exist here then these people that abuse them for their own amusement.


What i most dislike is the human behavior of some kind of "triumph of our neocortex brain" which derivates in social acceptation of sports like hunting, or bullfighters



posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 04:10 AM
link   
I am a supporter of culling feral animals when they pose a significant risk to crops or livestock. To give and example of the problems in Australia, if anyone has ever seen what a fox will do to a lamb it is disgusting and therefore I feel no remorse for putting a bullet in it's head. Same goes for crows, who peck out the eyes of a lamb then begin to eat it alive.

It is in circumstances like this that I support killing the animal who did it to prevent further cruelty to other, more helpless animals. On the flipside of this (and I shall use an example here) I remember a news report of a drunken idiot holding a puppy over a fire then dropping it in. In this case I say jail the bastard for the rest of his life.



new topics




 
2
<<   2  3  4 >>

log in

join