It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sometimes I can't wake up.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2004 @ 07:27 PM
link   
As weve discussed so often here...Sleep Paralysis is just that. Sleep. You THINK you are awake. You are aware and trying to wake but your body is in the paralyzed rem state and you are feeling the paralyzation. This can be painful, uncomfortable and be accompanied by flashing light , or, just thinking your eyes are open and looking at the room you are in. It is also often accompanied by a sense of foreboding or evil...and can include halluciantion of an evil being. This has been tested in controlled environments and to be found a "sleep" disorder.
I know from experience.

posted on Aug, 4 2004 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by xxKrisxx
As weve discussed so often here...Sleep Paralysis is just that. Sleep. You THINK you are awake. You are aware and trying to wake but your body is in the paralyzed rem state and you are feeling the paralyzation. This can be painful, uncomfortable and be accompanied by flashing light , or, just thinking your eyes are open and looking at the room you are in. It is also often accompanied by a sense of foreboding or evil...and can include halluciantion of an evil being. This has been tested in controlled environments and to be found a "sleep" disorder.
I know from experience.

This "sleep paralysis," is not a disorder, but a little bit extra of what natural protections that our biology gives us, so that we do not start walking around in our dream sleep and bump into things. In the early development of mankind, it was obviously not helpful to walk around in your dreams, because a saber tooth tiger might NOT be sleeping and gobble you up!

posted on Aug, 4 2004 @ 07:53 PM
link   
i worded that wrong... sleep paralysis is normal and your not supposed to be aware of it...mabe now or then but when AWARENESS of it happens on a regular basis it is called a disorder.
Sleep Paralysis Disorder.

sleepdisorders.about.com...

nc.essortment.com...

[edit on 4-8-2004 by xxKrisxx]

Urn

posted on Aug, 8 2004 @ 04:06 AM
link   
i watched somthing on the discovery channel a while back about sleep paralysis, it basically said that somtimes you can wake up, but the mechanism that keeps your body from moving when you are asleep is still turned on...

i had this happen to me once and it scared the CRAP out of me...

posted on Aug, 8 2004 @ 04:10 AM
link   
This happens to me all the fricken time. I saw someone post that this could happen due to not getting enough sleep. Maybe I should forget about my "sleep is a waste of time" theroy lol

posted on Aug, 8 2004 @ 04:57 AM
link   
A situation I know very well when it occurs it seems to take hours to wake up a frightening experience it leaves me exhausted the next day it often seems to accompany halucinations of me floating above my self looking down at my self in the bed as I struggle to awake I hear a pop and I awaken.

posted on Aug, 8 2004 @ 07:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ade1965x
Yes, it is a terrible horrible feeling. I often wonder if that is how it would feel to be under anesthesia and not be able to move but can feel every cut.

i was anesthetized at the dentist because he had to take out teeth that were still in the gun (adult teeth)

well you can still feel everything (scalpel,etc) but it doesnt hurt

posted on Aug, 8 2004 @ 09:20 AM
link   
I have sleep paralysis as well. In the last 9 months I have been experiencing problems with sleep paralysis at least 4 times a week. I have had them sporadically for the last 15 years and they seem to come when I am under a lot of stress.
When it happens I generally have 2 -3 episodes before I am able to fall asleep for the night. I'll have one, pull myself out of it, have another and then if I'm really freaked out I'll get up, move around the house, eat something, watch T.V., etc. and then try going back to sleep. Physically moving around the house is the only way I can 'break my cycle' for the night.
My only trigger to them seems to be stress but I found it interesting that someone mentioned depression could also be a trigger. I am not a depressed person in general and certainly don't qualify as being clinically depressed but this latest epidimic of sleep paralysis that I'm experiencing was triggered at the exact time my father had an unexpected illness that led to a lengthy hospital stay and ultimately his death. So, I think it's fair to say that I am dealing with situational depression in addition to my stress.
One other thing to note. During this same 9 month period, I have not been able to recall any of my dreams. I know every detail of my sleep paralysis ordeals, but for the last 9 months I have not been able to remember even one little detail of an 'ordinary' dream.
Has anyone else ever noticed problems with sleep paralysis interferring with dream recollection?

posted on Aug, 8 2004 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Dream recollection,, if the wierd knowing your dreaming and cant wake yourself up type of experience counts as a dream then yeah i can remember everyone of them but can never remember any dreams before it happens.
Also about the depression part i was diagnosed as clinically depressed and had been on medication for depression for about a year and within that year i had about two of these sp experiences but even along time before i got diagnosed (maybe a year or so) i still had 1 or 2 of these dreams so maybe it does sort of link with stress/depression/anxiousness etc that the person is unaware (or maybe aware of)and this is our subconcious way of telling you that something is wrong.
Thats my thought on it anyone agree disagree etc?

top topics

<< 1   >>

join