It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sun is not a perfect sphere!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Yes, you have read it right, the sun is not a perfect sphere.

RHESSI space craft of NASA has determined the roundness of the sun with precision and found that the sun is not a perfect sphere.

Scientists using NASA's RHESSI spacecraft have measured the roundness of the sun with unprecedented precision, and they find that it is not a perfect sphere.

Here's some of the information,

"We have found that the surface of the sun has rough structure: bright ridges arranged in a network pattern, as on the surface of a cantaloupe but much more subtle," describes Hudson. During active phases of the solar cycle, these ridges emerge around the sun's equator, brightening and fattening the "stellar waist."

And the possible implications of this find,

Tiny departures from perfect roundness can, for example, affect the sun's gravitational pull on Mercury and skew tests of Einstein's theory of relativity that depend on careful measurements of the inner planet's orbit. Small bulges are also telltale signs of hidden motions inside the sun. For instance, if the sun had a rapidly rotating core left over from early stages of star formation, and if that core were tilted with respect to its outer layers, the result would be surface bulging.

So, as you can see einsteins theory is in danger

Here's the link,

science.nasa.gov...

Please do feel free to share your opinion.

[edit on 2/10/08 by peacejet]

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 07:31 PM
link   
You're like 20x smarter than me and I knew that...I mean nothing can ever be a perfect sphere, especially the Sun because of all the gravity it has to pull

S&F just cause you're da man!

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 07:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Taledus

Yes, nothing is a perfect sphere, and even the earth is a oblate spheroid which is bulged at the equator and flattened at the polls, I was amazed by the precision of the space craft in measuring the sphericality of the sun.

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by peacejet

So, as you can see einsteins theory is in danger

Um...how should I say this? No.

Tiny departures from perfect roundness can, for example, affect the sun's gravitational pull on Mercury and skew tests of Einstein's theory of relativity that depend on careful measurements of the inner planet's orbit.

Using Mercury to test the theory is the problem, not the theory.

Don't worry, I know you didn't mean it.

[edit on 2-10-2008 by Phage]

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 07:56 PM
link   
I thought the line meant that the find would skew the tests of einsteins theory of relativity which are based on careful observations.

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 08:03 PM
link   
reply to post by peacejet

Since almost two centuries earlier astronomers had been aware of a small flaw in Mercury's orbit around the Sun, as predicted by Newton's laws. As the closest planet to the Sun, Mercury orbits a region in the solar system where spacetime is disturbed by t he Sun's mass. Mercury's elliptical path around the Sun shifts slightly with each orbit such that its closest point to the Sun (or "perihelion") shifts forward with each pass. Newton's theory had predicted an advance only half as large as the one actually observed. Einstein's predictions exactly matched the observation.

Source

One test of many that have supported Albert. I wonder if this new information we be really significant and if anyone will rework the results in light of it.

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 08:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

I get the point you are trying to say, the shifting forward of the orbits, yes, it is one of the cases of elliptical orbits, in which the path shifts forward, the name for that is rossette effect or rossette path, found in electrons rotating around atoms.

new topics

join