It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Flashing star below big dipper handle

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 07:50 PM
link   
I'm top NE Florida. Are you anywhere near me? We have excellent weather at the moment. Two weeks of clear fall like weather, the nights are just starting to be in the 50's. I love it!

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 09:09 PM
link   
May I plug (again!
) this wonderful program?

Stellarium

(When I say "plug", it doesn't mean that I am in any way, shape or form associated with it. Besides, it's free of charge.)

I am sure you people know it, but many of those who are reading this interesting thread don't.

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 10:53 PM
link   
OK...now I see it.

Somebody come clean...so what the blazes is it!?

I saw it a few weeks back & thought it was atmospheric haze causing the oscillating colors.

A really strange bunny wabbit burning bright in the night...eh?

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 10:56 PM
link   
reply to post by im bad

I am probably about 75 miles or more NNW of your location. Did you get a good look at it?

Fascinating...

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 11:15 PM
link   
I've seen this star for over a year now. I always thought of it as a violent star...not sure why. It flashes red...blue...white...

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 11:23 PM
link   
It's Arcturus, a star. A very bright star. A star with a red color. Very bright stars twinkle a lot. Stars twinkle because of distortion of the light by the atmosphere. Twinkling includes the appearance of changing colors.

[edit on 2-10-2008 by Phage]

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 11:26 PM
link   
I do believe what you are seeing is known by its comon name :
The North Star.
Proper name for it is Polaris which is at the end of the handle of the Little Dipper.

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 11:31 PM
link   
Yes, but there are 4 stars in the handle of the dipper. Its cloudy out and we can't see anything now, but what my son saw earlier was 5th star that shouldn't have been there, flashing with blue light. Acturus is further down, and it can sometimes give interesting colors.

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 11:43 PM
link   

[edit on 3/10/2008 by Badge01]

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 11:44 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 11:45 PM
link   
I might have seen what one poster had seen regarding the bright star that seemed to rotate right where arcturus sits. I saw at least 2 UFO interact below the big dippers handle about 5 weeks ago now. between arcturus and the big dipper are bright stars that form a circle and then a bright star bow beyond that pointing towards the big dipper.

Long story short I saw the UFOs and watched them for 5-10 minutes and then went for camera and binocs. The camera was useless because it was so dark and the two things I had seen as UFOs were gone but the bright star near or infront of or arcturus itself appeared to rotate and flash different colored lights.

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 11:48 PM
link   
sorry yall. I don't know what or how I did that post . It is all messed up. Must be the flakes in my eyeballs that caused it! haha

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 12:12 AM
link   
As a chronic star watcher I have some experience in this phenomenon, next time you are star gazing, observe a bright star close to the horizon, it will be twinkling, now observe a star of similar brightness straight above you, it should be noticeable more stable in it'd brightness, this effect is caused by the increased atmospheric density when looking at objects far away that are very low in the sky. If you wait several hours and reacquire the star when it is higher in the sky, you will see that the twinkling is much reduced. Some very bright stars put on an amazing show as they first become visible, I know they are stars but sometimes I have to watch them over a extended period of time to reassure myself that it is indeed just a star. The amount of wavering and color changing can be more that you might expect, sometimes you will see them changing through the full spectrum of possible colors, like a color changing strobe light, but if it is just a star the effect will diminish as it slowly rises into the night sky.

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 12:22 AM
link   
reply to post by RING0

That's a pretty amazing explaination. It reminds me of a mirage over the sea when it is super cold out. You can see over the horizon quite clearly sometimes. But what about the two lights I saw that flew in relatively straight lines, converged, then seemed to fly in a chaotic circle and then depart as they came in?

====
Mod Edit: quote removed, 'reply to' linked

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 12:30 AM
link   
reply to post by RING0

Your explanation sounds about right. However, it completely contradicts my experience. The exact opposite happens. This star twinkles with very vibrant intense colors when it is higher and then loses its twinkle as the planet rotates east in about an hour (10:30-11:30).

If I didn't know better, I would say it is hanging in the atmosphere.

====
Mod Edit: quote removed, 'reply to' linked

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 09:28 AM
link   
its obviously the starship owned by the galactic federation of light...

right on schedule, should be here by the 14th...

looks like blossom goodchild was right, after all!

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vanitas

May I plug (again!
) this wonderful program?

Stellarium

(When I say "plug", it doesn't mean that I am in any way, shape or form associated with it. Besides, it's free of charge.)

I am sure you people know it, but many of those who are reading this interesting thread don't.

I can second this, I use stellarium all the time to check weird things I see in the sky to whether they are a star or planet before pulling out my telescope! Highly recommended, better than google sky or stary night by far and free!

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 09:51 AM
link   
reply to post by mystiq

I Believe This is what all of you are seeing. I film it almost every single night. They are many of them surrounding the planet. Please EnJOY!

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 11:34 AM
link   
the flashing effect is caused when stellar objects are low in the horison , this is caused by turbulence in the atmosphere , the higher to the zenith (right above your head ) the twinkling stops . i see cirius twinkling reds oranges purples in winter over here in scotland early evening

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 11:59 AM
link   
I saw the same thing back in June and July in Northern Germany, Also the flashing object/star had two other stars one to the left and one to the right to it, I was observing from 11pm to about 2am it was in the northern sky moving to the east.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join