It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Insurers dive on Reid's 'bankrupt' quote

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Insurers dive on Reid's 'bankrupt' quote

money.cnn.com

Several big life insurance stocks fell sharply Thursday, dragged down by jitters about their role in the credit crisis and fears sparked by a comment from Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., Wednesday about a potential bankruptcy in the industry.

"We don't have a lot of leeway on time. One of the individuals in the caucus today talked about a major insurance company. A major insurance company -- one with a name that everyone knows that's on the verge of going bankrupt. That's what this is all about," Reid said prior to the Senate's approval of the $700 billion bailout bill.

Steven Schwartz, an analyst who covers insurance companies for Raymond James & Associates, said that even before Reid made his bankruptcy comment, investors were growing worried about life insurers' exposure to real estate as well as "secondary exposure" via investments in troubled finance firms like Lehman Bros, Wachovia and Washington Mutual.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Nice job, ass. Is Harry Reid really this stupid? Regardless of whether you believe the laughable backtracking his spokesperson tried to do yesterday, any mention by a Congressman of pending bankruptcy, whether metaphorically speaking or legitimate, is way out of line. He slipped up and accidentally let the pleebs see what was behind the curtain... OK. Yesterday it was the insurance industry, what happens if the next time he accidentally spills the beans about some issue of national security? Or maybe he slips up and exposes a company by name, "accidentally."

It's all just a giant game for these people and we're the pawns. We slip up and accidentally expose some insider information and we are then expected to be legally punished for it even though (in most cases) any damage done is highly limited. They slip up and cause catastrophic damage to teh system and nothing is done against them.

Disturbing, very disturbing.

money.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Yeah I wanted to short most of the insurance company of the US because of his comment... I should have... I would have make a lot of money.

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Harry Reid is one of the most disreputable, dispicable lawmakers we have ever had. He told some BS story over and over about some kid in Searchlight NV saying he wanted to grow up to be just like Harry. Turns out the kid didn't exist. He is fondly known by Jerry Doyle, who does a talk show on "K-Dawn" (don't know the actual call letter of the station) in Las Vegas as "Whorehouse Harry." Not because he hangs out in one, but because he learned to swim in a bordello swiming pool when he was a kid.
I wouldn't trust him if his tongue came notorized.

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 06:43 PM
link   
The Las Vegas station is 720 on the AM dial.

I believe 840 carries Rush and later on Coast to Coast.

Rush and C to C are on 1230 in the Kingman, Arizona area.

Dingy Harry is a national embarrassment.

He's been tied up in some questionable real estate deals.

I wouldn't be surprised to find that Harry and/or family and friends made some money on this little scam.

top topics

join