It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MTV awards '' well and truly rickrolled ''

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Just thought I'd share a little jest in the light of all that's being going on recently. Rick Astley is up for nomination for best act at this years MTV awards.

Those of you who are familiar with the internet phenomenon '' rickrolling '' will have a good chuckle at this.

Edit - Can't seem to figure out how to link.. I'll just quote some text instead

'' Forgotten pop star Rick Astley's 'Rickrolling' phenomenon has stepped up a gear - he is a surprise contender for the Best Act gong at this year's MTV Europe Music Awards.

The singer's Never Gonna Give You Up pop anthem from 1987 was adopted by online jokers in April, luring music fans to sites promising exclusive videos by current artists - only to blast them with remixed versions of Astley's song, or his old video.

The computer trick was dubbed 'Rickrolling' by YouTube.com users who were caught out by the prank.

But it seems the joke has paid off - Astley, who hasn't had a hit record in two decades, will go up against pop superstars Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera, Green Day, Tokio Hotel and U2 to win the award for the Best Act In The History of the MTV EMAs.

A spokesman for the awards says, "The audience has spoken and MTV has been well and truly 'Rickrolled'.

"This surprise nomination truly demonstrates that the MTV Europe Music Awards is the most democratically selected awards show there is. Rick's fans have obviously decided that he deserves recognition as a pop icon and no doubt they are determined to make sure he wins on the night."

The show will be held in Liverpool, England on 6 November (08). ''

[edit on 2-10-2008 by shujinko90]

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 05:00 PM
link   
I dont think MTV understands, people.
Getting Rickrolled, is bad, and embarasing.

People HATE that song.

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 05:05 PM
link   
This is funny and annoying in one, I agree, LoL..!

new topics

join